Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is more important for track use, HANS or roll over protection?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 07:31 AM
Feffman
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68
Depends on whether you prefer to die w neck snapped or car crushing you.

I’d say they’re equally important.
Ditto. I had a pretty hard hit in 2016 and although the car didn't roll (thank God) I felt the cage helped dramatically.

The HANS worked flawlessly. I didn't care for the HANS when I first started wearing it but now I feel naked without it.

If you can't do both, at least grab one of the hybrid style neck protectors that work with either regular seat belts or a harness. Keeps the head attached to the spine.

Feff
Old 12-06-2017, 12:59 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I would never argue that a cage is not beneficial but it is generally not feasible in street driven vehicles. The issue here is whether roll over protection is more important that using a harness and head and neck restraint. Certainly the hybrid helps the head and neck issue at least somewhat but doesn't protect from other injuries like a full harness. OTOH, a harness without a HANS type device likely makes neck and occipital bone fractures even more likely.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:18 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

I agree with others that HANS is the most important. As you might have realized, security equipment pretty much mandates the rest to work properly (4-6 point requires a cage and HANS since you're now pinned, and you don't want to be the only standing support column when the roof caves in).

Anyhow, there are a few workarounds. I'd highly recommend that you start with Schroth Profi II ASM + HANS. ASM type race harnesses have a double-stiitched patch on one of the shoulder belts, which blow the switches during an accident, letting you move forward, drastically reducing the chances of being pinned, as well as the pressure on neck (though it'd still be too high). Profi II ASM + HANS + Sub-belt (for 6 point) would provide an adequate protection for a car with no cage.

Quick Reply: What is more important for track use, HANS or roll over protection?