Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track days and "normal" car insurance

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 10:13 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Something is screwed up with the video or with YouTube. The sound finished about 10 seconds ahead of the video which decided to pause several times while the sound kept playing. Could hear the off but the stopped video showed the car in the center of the pavement.

Bill
Ha! Me too! Except it works perfect on mobile!
Old 03-14-2018, 11:13 AM
polyol
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Lets just say you do 70 track days before an accident happens as suggested towards the beginning of this thread. At 300 bucks a day that is 21,000 bucks.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:34 AM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by polyol
Lets just say you do 70 track days before an accident happens as suggested towards the beginning of this thread. At 300 bucks a day that is 21,000 bucks.
if you're someone that is doing 70 track days even over a three-year period, you're probably running a dedicated track car and if you're running a dedicated track car you have enough money to not insure it at $300 a day.
The following users liked this post:
polyol (03-14-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 11:38 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Those are my thoughts also...
Accidents do happen, but I did 100+ days before I had anything noteworthy happen. Someone dive-bombed me during a race, which probably wouldn't have been covered by track day insurance anyway.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:54 AM
polyol
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacembellum
if you're someone that is doing 70 track days even over a three-year period, you're probably running a dedicated track car and if you're running a dedicated track car you have enough money to not insure it at $300 a day.
Yeah I hear that. I guess what I am saying is if you run once a year, are inexperienced and do not have a throw away car then it is a good idea.

If you are a track nut and you make a few assumptions then it is harder to swallow from a bottom line perspective.

Autox, I would never buy unless you race on a nasty course. I probably have over a hundred track day events at Autox, ive only seen a handful of issues and they were never big dollar destroy your car issues.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:06 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Yeah I hear that. I guess what I am saying is if you run once a year, are inexperienced and do not have a throw away car then it is a good idea.

If you are a track nut and you make a few assumptions then it is harder to swallow from a bottom line perspective.

Autox, I would never buy unless you race on a nasty course. I probably have over a hundred track day events at Autox, ive only seen a handful of issues and they were never big dollar destroy your car issues.
auto x is for slow miatas and people that cant afford real track days.

having said that ill probably do some autox in my z06 since track day insurance is $500/day for me.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:44 PM
woody6244
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a 2016 Z06 totaled at a solo national tour event last year.
The driver was 17 so probably not a lot of experience. But it was not the first car I saw totaled at an autocross either. I have never got insurance for autocross or track day.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:52 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by woody6244
I saw a 2016 Z06 totaled at a solo national tour event last year.
The driver was 17 so probably not a lot of experience. But it was not the first car I saw totaled at an autocross either. I have never got insurance for autocross or track day.
holyshit how does that even happen is there video of this?
Old 03-14-2018, 04:32 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Variety of ways, island or light pole in the middle of the parking lot and a strange spin, part failure etc.

One of the owners of Detroit Speed had a nasty accident in an autox a few years back, and they are very experienced. Granted the driver was likely pushing hard as well, and no matter how good you are accidents are more likely to happen when you're on the limit.

Point is it can happen to any one of us. Always be as aware of your surroundings and run off as you can be.

Last edited by 93Polo; 03-14-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:15 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

auto x is for slow miatas and people that cant afford real track days.

having said that ill probably do some autox in my z06 since track day insurance is $500/day for me.

Autocross IS a peculiar sport...
I'd do it more but I suck at it!
And occasionally cars do get destroyed there, but it is the exception rather than the rule.
Around here, figure 1 car, + or -, destroyed per NASA HPDE weekend.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:05 AM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

Just to throw a monkey wrench into the discussion, my dads former baubiness partner went off track at WGI last year in his new Z06 and scraped the wall. Basically all body damage. He told State Farm what happened and they paid the whole $13,000. Just saw him yesterday and confirmed the story. Couldn’t believe it myself, but I guess this should definitely be considered a rare exception.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:55 PM
MX621
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

This tread is exactly why I went back to a slow 4cyl car to track. Multiple track days in my c5z and never got track insurance. Stupid. My last track day in the z at thunderbolt, Just as I applied braking for turn 1, the abs instantly activated. Car went sideways right then left. I was able to save it, but the whole time I thought to myself, welp this is it, I’m gonna hit something.. Even thought it’s only worth 20k on a good day I wasn’t ok with badly damaging it. Following year I built my disposable track car, a Acura Integra. With only 160hp I am now 1.3 sec away from my fastest lap time in my c5z. Z sees street duty only for now. One day I will have it back on track.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:10 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MX621
This tread is exactly why I went back to a slow 4cyl car to track. Multiple track days in my c5z and never got track insurance. Stupid. My last track day in the z at thunderbolt, Just as I applied braking for turn 1, the abs instantly activated. Car went sideways right then left. I was able to save it, but the whole time I thought to myself, welp this is it, I’m gonna hit something.. Even thought it’s only worth 20k on a good day I wasn’t ok with badly damaging it. Following year I built my disposable track car, a Acura Integra. With only 160hp I am now 1.3 sec away from my fastest lap time in my c5z. Z sees street duty only for now. One day I will have it back on track.
c5z are only 14-16k now, doesnt make sense to do a $5000 GSR in that case but that's just me.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:15 PM
MX621
Burning Brakes

c5z are only 14-16k now, doesnt make sense to do a $5000 GSR in that case but that's just me.
yup everyone is diff. I really like my c5z and I wasn’t ready to make it a dedicated track car or ok with loosing it like the integra. If I smash it who cares. I’ll buy another shell and swap over what I can. Consumables are crazy cheap and last a whole season for me. I’m sure a time will come where I’ll be ready and willing to take it back out.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:56 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

yup everyone is diff. I really like my c5z and I wasn’t ready to make it a dedicated track car or ok with loosing it like the integra. If I smash it who cares. I’ll buy another shell and swap over what I can. Consumables are crazy cheap and last a whole season for me. I’m sure a time will come where I’ll be ready and willing to take it back out.
ahhh consumables, incredibly important.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:28 PM
MX621
Burning Brakes

ahhh consumables, incredibly important.
6 days, 33- 20 min sessions last year. I spent 580$ Between Toyo r888r’s, a set of dtc 60’s and a set of front rotors. Being this is the vette forum I don’t expect to get “ great idea” from my current track car selection. Lol.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:54 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

6 days, 33- 20 min sessions last year. I spent 580$ Between Toyo r888r’s, a set of dtc 60’s and a set of front rotors. Being this is the vette forum I don’t expect to get “ great idea” from my current track car selection. Lol.
No, I second those thoughts.
"Great idea."
I'm not made of money, so consumables cost is important to me.
Also important: The concept of learning how to wring all the speed possible out of a slower car vs. ***-haulin' around in a faster one, while actually learning very little. It's difficult to learn the subtleties when wielding a sledge hammer...

Get notified of new replies

To Track days and "normal" car insurance

Old 03-15-2018, 04:42 PM
MX621
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nowanker
No, I second those thoughts.
"Great idea."
I'm not made of money, so consumables cost is important to me.
Also important: The concept of learning how to wring all the speed possible out of a slower car vs. ***-haulin' around in a faster one, while actually learning very little. It's difficult to learn the subtleties when wielding a sledge hammer...
Lol I’m not made of money either, so I feel you there. I’ll be honest. I’m having more fun in this stress free, who cares car then in my z. My z makes 430whp and on street tires it’s a little intimidating and a handful on the track. This cheap car I’m in is much more forgiving to mistakes and driver errors. Yet You really have to hit your marks and pay attention to hang with the pack. A lot of that attributes to what you just said. I’m just an average intermediate driver. I’ve learned so much this past year, not being afraid of the car and pushing my braking zones deeper and deeper, cornering harder, etc. I’ve considered putting my track pads/rotors back on my Z and seeing how much I have improved as a driver. Not that anyone cares on here but here is my fastest laps of last year at thunderbolt w/chicane
starts at 11:15 with a 1.41.5. fastest I’ve gone in my z is a 1:40.2. My goal this year is to be in the 1:39’s in the cheap car.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:45 AM
fatsport
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 894 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport
Just to throw a monkey wrench into the discussion, my dads former baubiness partner went off track at WGI last year in his new Z06 and scraped the wall. Basically all body damage. He told State Farm what happened and they paid the whole $13,000. Just saw him yesterday and confirmed the story. Couldn’t believe it myself, but I guess this should definitely be considered a rare exception.
Bringing this back up - Looks like Poor-sha's C7 ZR1 was also covered by State Farm. It's listed on a salvage auction site, with State Farm as the seller.
https://www.iaai.com/Vehicle?itemID=...oadRecent=True
The following users liked this post:
daleong (12-20-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 10:22 AM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

HOW are people getting these covered? Too much publicity I would think to blatantly lie on what happened. Which I have seen from autos crashes.

Quick Reply: Track days and "normal" car insurance