Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 refresh

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 11:51 AM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Default LS6 refresh

Hey guys posted this up on C5 tech but got no response at all, thought some people over here might have some insight. I have a LS6 out of my 01 Z06 came out at 110K running strong and still making good lap times.
Wanted to get some thoughts on what a refresh of the motor would look like as we want to use it in my sons 944turbo. Other than rings bearings etc. what should be done? I'm going to be breaking the motor down myself and getting parts to the machine shop. Not looking to make crazy power with it somewhere around 400rwhp.

Last edited by z06801; 07-11-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:29 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Valve springs and the related hardware. A lot of people replace the pushrods at that time.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:46 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Did one about a year ago, it was a single stage dry sump motor for road racing.

Stock except for these:
* ARP rod and head bolts
* LS2 timing chain
* better push rods
* ISKY 165 A valve springs
* ISKY LS 280/290 cam (similar to GMPP ASA cam, about 10 HP better)
* Comp Cams rocker trunnion upgrade
* GMPP "Caddy" lifters

It made about 460 HP and 430 torque on a superflow engine dyno
Old 07-13-2018, 11:25 AM
bigmackloud
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Good suggestions above. Here are a few others. Not everything is "mandatory", just ideas to get you started.

ARP rod bolts
ARP head bolts (probably no need for studs, but the bolts just makes sense since the OE bolts are TTY)
Melling oil pump (10295, or 10296)
LS2 timing chain (C5R timing chain is even better, but more expensive)
Timing chain damper
LS7 lifters and new lifter buckets
Straub or CHE trunnion kit (uses bushings instead of roller bearings)
Improved Racing makes oil pan baffles for the batwing oil pan, which can help oil control if running a wet sump
Improved Racing makes an extra hold down bracket for where the oil pickup tube bolts to the oil pump (OE just attaches with 1 bolt). Not required, but it's cheap
I probably wouldn't reuse an OE harmonic balancer since they have some wobble/separation issues. PowerBond makes a good OE replacement, or ATI is the best, esp for track use.
ARP harmonic balancer bolt (OE is TTY)
SacCity makes some really handy tools for aligning the front and rear covers during installation. Helps prevent main seal leaks.
The GM MLS head gaskets are good (and reasonably priced)

Your call on opening up the rear steam vent ports on the heads. You can use the GM truck crossover (OE # 12605716) for a DIY solution, or there are several companies like TrickFlow that sell entire kits.

I just finished rebuilding my engine and documented most of it on my YouTube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjl...ImYnmzVs9Z-Yow
The following users liked this post:
63Corvette (07-15-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To LS6 refresh

Quick Reply: LS6 refresh