Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stoptech brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 07:51 PM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts
Default stoptech brakes

who is using the 355/st40 kit on a c6z (stock rears) and tracking the car? how good is the performance when driving 9/10? im getting new wheels and have been thinking to go 19" in front and upgrading to 380mm. but then again there are no 19" slicks.

(63corvette, are you there?)

Last edited by romandian; 11-29-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:43 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by romandian
who is using the 355/st40 kit on a c6z (stock rears) and tracking the car? how good is the performance when driving 9/10? im getting new wheels and have been thinking to go 19" in front and upgrading to 380mm. but then again thre are no 19" slicks.

Hi romandian, and thanks for he plug;-) I do recommend Stoptech BBK, altho I run ST60 fronts and ST40 rears. IF.............I were currently running lotsa TRACK time in my car, I would run the AP PRO kit from forum member JeffRitt. My car is a Street car, and for a full on TRACK car, I would recommend the AP RadiCal setup. My Stoptech BBK setup is GREAT for a street/track car, and I can't say enough good things about it, BUT, full time TRACK usage requires complete confidence in your brakes at ALL times while on track!
I recommend Castrol SRF brake fluid and RACE pads, like DTC 70, or Cobalt Friction XR1, or Performance Friction PFC01 pads WITH cooling ducts for a completely transparent braking delivery system:-) ( I am NOT affiliated with nor compensated by Anyone, including AP, Stoptech and PFC)
Garrett
Old 11-28-2018, 08:49 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

i would suggest sticking with 18s at all costs.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:11 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

I don't think a stock C6z on track is throwing off more heat than a SCCA T1 C5z from 2012 @ 3200lbs or a C5Z in current T2 class at 3500lbs. The C6 chassis IMO is really C5 2.0. Stock C6z makes more power but T1 is running race tires and other goodies. T2 runs some goodies race tires and lots of mass. I raced and still race those classes with Stoptech's T1 kit using front ST40 per class rules and rear ST43 on 18" wheels, stock master cylinder. They can be pounded on all day long zero fade 100% there all the time. Rotors last 1.5years & pads 3 race weekends. I get very mild pad taper that could be improved with 6 pistons but 4 is plenty adequate. I think the ST40's will be fine especially if the ST40's you are looking at are the same ones used in the T1 kit for the C6. I'm pretty sure the T1 kit for the C6 and C5 are the same with stoptech but you should call and ask.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:50 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

If you go with wheels like CCW Corsairs you will have enough room to run 380 mm StopTechs - I've had two customers in the past run that set-up.

The ST-40 and ST-60 kits will work up to a certain point - I have had customers "outgrow" the kit in the past - but they were running full aero, 315/345 Hoosiers and 550+ rwhp

If you are not running that much tire, power or aero you will probably be ok - one thing I do like about the StopTech kits is that they copied Brembo products so if you want to upgrade your rotors you can swap out 355 or 380 mm StopTech rotors for Brembo rotors - I've done it with multiple cars in the past and it can help drop caliper temps by as much as 30 degrees! StopTech rotors have 36 cooling vanes the Brembos have 72 they also have better slotting - the bad part it cost typical StopTech 355 rotor is around $300 - same rotor from Brembo is $500.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:23 PM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
StopTech rotors have 36 cooling vanes the Brembos have 72 they also have better slotting - the bad part it cost typical StopTech 355 rotor is around $300 - same rotor from Brembo is $500.
Do the Brembo rotors last longer? And is it enough to make them more economical over the long run?
Old 12-03-2018, 11:50 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by NSFW
Do the Brembo rotors last longer? And is it enough to make them more economical over the long run?
In my experience yes - the Brembo discs will last longer - how much longer depends a lot on your set-up, braking style and tracks that you run on.

IMO Brembo makes the best racing discs around - but you need to make sure you are buying from there racing line not there street line.

The 355 discs can be found here - https://www.hrpworld.com/bre-0993061...-vented-b.html

I install these with a new StopTech mount kit.

Brembos aren't the only option out there, AP makes a rotor that will work as well but I don't know of anyone who stocks them in the states - but they only have 36 vanes just like the StopTech rotors.

http://www.apracing.com/product_deta...2018/2019.aspx

I don't know if the Brembos will be more economical - but you will spend less time swapping out pads and rotors.
The rotor is the radiator of your braking system anytime you can increase the efficiency of the braking system good things are going to happen.
In my case when I switched to Brembos on a car running a 380 mm StopTech kit I saw a 30° F drop in brake caliper temps - based on caliper temp strips - that made a big difference!
Pads that were only lasting a day and a half were now lasted 3 days - it was nice to not have to change pads to get through a 2 day track event!
I also changed my brake cooling set-up at that time so then change wasn't 100% due to the rotors
I feel the rotors helped a lot also the rotors took longer to show heat checks and after the checks appeared the rotors took a lot longer to need replacement.

Compared to StopTech rotors the Brembos have more cooling vanes (72 vs 36), more mass ( a little over 1 lb heavier), better metallurgy (this is more a guess since they just plain last longer - and are a lot more expensive), and a better face design.

The above rotors have Brembo's type 3 slotting

I'm not trying to sell anything to anyone - I'm just saying it's an option worth looking into if you end up buying a StopTech kit then find yourself wanting a little more pad and rotor life. Most won't need to upgrade - or won't because of the expense - but it's nice to know the option is out there. YMMV
The following users liked this post:
NSFW (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 04:29 PM
1badtantrum
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by romandian
who is using the 355/st40 kit on a c6z (stock rears) and tracking the car? how good is the performance when driving 9/10? im getting new wheels and have been thinking to go 19" in front and upgrading to 380mm. but then again there are no 19" slicks.
I use the 380mm x35 Stoptech ST60 front calipers. I use a CCW 18" wheel x11" front x13" rear on a 09' C6Z06. When the C6Z06 was a thing, this wheel/tire size what some of the very successful race teams used. There are a reasonable number of sources for 'scrubs' with these size wheels still. I think they work very well.

Get notified of new replies

To stoptech brakes

Quick Reply: stoptech brakes