Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the Diff be Removed without the trans and TT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 12:41 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Default Can the Diff be Removed without the trans and TT?

I'm halfway through removing the driveline to get my diff rebuilt. I've been using a combination of the shop manuals and youtube videos as instructions and this is the first time I'm taking on this job. I have the rear sub frame lowered and detached from the body. The shop manual instructs that you remove the 2 nuts that connect the diff to the sub frame which I've done. Now the sub frame is lowered and the driveline is resting on the sub frame on jack stands. The brake lines and wires are detached from the sub frame.

I read on facebook (where everything is true and reliable) that the diff can be removed without taking the trans and TT out. Does anyone on here have experience doing that?

Since my sub frame and diff are decoupled, I planned to remove the sub frame first. Then removed the TT, Trans, and Diff separately second.

I'm doing the job on jack stands. I picked up a transmission jack to help.
Thoughts? I'll post a couple pics below
Old 12-13-2018, 12:43 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Name:  photo100.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  788.5 KB

Name:  photo765.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  759.6 KB
Old 12-13-2018, 01:46 PM
Boosted_Z
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

YES.

I just blew my Differential again early this year on my 07 manual Vette. I had no problem removing the diff w diff brace while the Trans and TT was still connected. I had to remove X-pipe and tunnel plate so i may lower assembly enough to access all bolts. Make sure to support torque tube and watch engine to firewall clearance while lowering. This is the second time I have done this and both times I left the Transmission and T-tube in/on car. Took me about 10 hours as I have no lift, no creeper, and no help.

Last edited by Boosted_Z; 12-13-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:09 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

I've thought about doing this as well, but didn't think it would really work. I've pulled everything to do a clutch swap before, and figured I'd have to do it again to service the diff alone.

My concern is letting the trans and torque tube droop enough to get the clearance to remove the diff. Seems like that would be a poor decision with it still connected. This apparently wasn't an issue?
Old 12-13-2018, 04:13 PM
GoatHead
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Boosted_Z
I just blew my Differential again early this year on my 07 manual Vette. I had no problem removing the diff w diff brace while the Trans and TT was still connected. I had to remove X-pipe and tunnel plate so i may lower assembly enough to access all bolts. Make sure to support torque tube and watch engine to firewall clearance while lowering. This is the second time I have done this and both times I left the Transmission and T-tube in/on car. Took me about 10 hours as I have no lift, no creeper, and no help.

Curious: What causes the Diff to break down?

Last edited by GoatHead; 12-13-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:28 PM
fmcokc
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
I've thought about doing this as well, but didn't think it would really work. I've pulled everything to do a clutch swap before, and figured I'd have to do it again to service the diff alone.

My concern is letting the trans and torque tube droop enough to get the clearance to remove the diff. Seems like that would be a poor decision with it still connected. This apparently wasn't an issue?
You can lower it enough to get the diff off. Just watch and make sure that you don't lower it so much that the engine hits the firewall.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:02 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

After dropping the rear subframe you might as well pull the rest of it out and service the clutch and TT internals!

Don't forget to replace the subframe nuts!
Old 12-13-2018, 05:11 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fmcokc
You can lower it enough to get the diff off. Just watch and make sure that you don't lower it so much that the engine hits the firewall.
Thank you, it'll save me some work. I have a leaking diff on my track car that I've been putting off because I didn't want to pull EVERYTHING. Just the diff isn't bad at all.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:23 PM
Boosted_Z
Instructor

Only need a couple inches lower to remove Diff bolts, why would saving time on a repair a poor decision? In my case, I have recently rebuilt/replaced my clutch, TT couplers and bearings, and more so there was no need to do extra work.

Last edited by Boosted_Z; 12-13-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:21 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

YES.

It's much easier on a C6 since they got rid of the "tub" in the rear floor that comes down right behind the diff. Look at the photo in the first post.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:25 AM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter70
It's much easier on a C6 since they got rid of the "tub" in the rear floor that comes down right behind the diff. Look at the photo in the first post.
I was looking at this last night and that was my thought it'd be tricky to drop it enough past that tub without smacking the firewall at the front with the back of the engine.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:57 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Only need a couple inches lower to remove Diff bolts, why would saving time on a repair a poor decision? In my case, I have recently rebuilt/replaced my clutch, TT couplers and bearings, and more so there was no need to do extra work.
I can't make any sense whatsoever of your post.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:41 PM
Boosted_Z
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scooter70
Ah.. Never worked on a C5 but assumed it was very similar to the c6. Maybe someone who worked on a c5 can honestly say removing the diff without trans/tt is just as easy. In a c6, I only need to lower a couple inches to get access to all bolts to remove Diff. Very easy on a C6.

Quickshift_C5 - Since we are talking about a C5 and they are not the same underneath as a C6, this does not apply then.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:06 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Done it many times, just need to get the subframe out of the way. Support trans and remove the tunnel brace to lower everything enough to slide diff off trans output shaft while clearing tub and not hitting intake on firewall.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:05 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Thank you for all the posts guys. My cars a C5, so we'll see how it goes. I hope to wrench on it some this weekend and I'll report back.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:57 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Ok, I was successful getting the diff out this afternoon. I lowered the trans some and was able to get it off.

Name:  photo922.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  812.8 KB

Name:  photo589.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  857.6 KB
Old 12-15-2018, 09:30 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan H.
Thank you for all the posts guys. My cars a C5, so we'll see how it goes. I hope to wrench on it some this weekend and I'll report back.
I just bought a C6GS last month, have had two C5FRCs the past 12 years. Glad to see you got it out.

Get notified of new replies

To Can the Diff be Removed without the trans and TT?

Old 12-15-2018, 11:43 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Awesome! How long did it take? Any complications due to space or otherwise?
Old 12-16-2018, 07:21 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Awesome! How long did it take? Any complications due to space or otherwise?
Kind of tough to answer the time question. I've been taking it apart 30 minutes here and an hour there. Holidays with family and a 4 year old don't leave much garage time (it sure is fun though). I didn't find a straight forward set of instructions, so I watched some youtube videos and used the shop manual.

The part I messed with the most was getting the titanium muffler assemblies out. Seems basic, but working on jack stands didn't leave much room. I'd say the biggest obstacle was my unfamiliarity with the job. It will be easier and faster the next time. You'll have to follow all the instructions as if your removing the TT. This will allow you to lower the transmission enough to slide the diff off. Everything came apart very easy. I struggled with the slippery slope, how much to take on now versus later. My car has 30k miles. I chose to stick with the job that needed to be done (diff) versus taking on all the preventive maintenance that most recommend. I know this is a pay now or pay later choice. The cost of clutch, master cylinder, couplers, along with the time to make all these changes was a bit daunting.

Something I learned that I'll do different when its time to remove everything for a clutch job is the diff mount to the subframe. The shop manual says to unbolt the diff. This separates the driveline from the subframe. This made everything really unstable when lowering the parts. I will leave this connected when the entire driveline needs to be removed.

Part I was/am most nervous about is the brake lines. You do move these alot and maneuver them around. I unbolted them from the wheel well mounting location to give them a larger range of motion. I just always felt like i was going to bend/kink these.

Hope this helps. I still have reassembly in front of me which I always think in a bigger job. I tried to blue tape and label all electrical connections to I don't miss any when putting everything back together, there are quite a few.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:41 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

There isn't any one great youtube video either. I found myself watching these two the most

This video is tough to follow and the lighting is bad. But its one of the more complete step by steps.

and

This GRM video has some really good info, but doesn't show the work as its happening

Last edited by Dan H.; 12-16-2018 at 07:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Can the Diff be Removed without the trans and TT?