Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DRM bilstein suitable for hpde/trackday?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 01:11 PM
andersnor
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default DRM bilstein suitable for hpde/trackday?

Recently bought a stock (heads fixed) z06 08, allready bought AP racing on all corners, and 18x11 front 18x13 wheels for it.

The car is 11 years, and usually this means the suspension is tue for a overhaul when track duty is subject.

I dont wanna turn it into a fullblown racecar, it will be driven to and from the nürburgring, my last car was so stiff (KW competition, and uniball/delrin everywhere)I had to trailer it to survice, which again also ment it was awesome at spa-francorchamos and nürburgring GP-strecke, but at the nordschleife it was pretty much useless, and so scary to drive I was slower than before the suspension tuning.

Main use is nürburgring for HPDE/trackdays.

Soooo are the DRM bilsteins a good option or should I look into other stuff as well? I don't feel like adjustable suspension as I tend to use a lot of time adjusting on trackdays... more so than driving. Could of course just get new stock units, but getting a tad more performance is always nice. Not expecting a silky 2019 porsche/bmw.

Last edited by andersnor; 05-03-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:13 PM
Budwise
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 55 Posts

They are an excellent choice.
The following users liked this post:
andersnor (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 01:38 PM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

Absolutely, much better than the stock shocks.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:50 PM
andersnor
Racer

Asked around with some others as well, everyone seems to like them, so put in an order.

Anything else that might need a "refresh"? the car is in very good shape, but rubber and other stuff ages.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:04 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,078 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by andersnor
Asked around with some others as well, everyone seems to like them, so put in an order.

Anything else that might need a "refresh"? the car is in very good shape, but rubber and other stuff ages.
I noticed the biggest change to mine when I replaced the control arm bushings. I suggest mono ***** from Mark at AMT or Delrin from Phoenix. For me I added the delrin a few years ago when Phoenix Performance set up my car and the change was a transformation from a car that was a bit unpredictable to a car that felt exceptionally planted.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:08 AM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

I'm a big fan of the DRM Bilsteins. Great shock for the money. Slap em'' on there and send it!
Old 05-29-2019, 05:57 AM
andersnor
Racer

God the goodies, and delrin shock bushes, now I just gotto pay AMT some $$ and get more bits

I can feel my stock rear suspension/control arms move to much under hard accel for sure.

Guys at DRM has been super helpful and nice to deal with.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:10 AM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

I recently switched to them from stock z06 shocks. was just the right price range for me. i wasnt ready for $3000+ shocks or coilovers.

im not gonna lie i noticed no difference. im not saying there not better im sure they are. and im sure there doing some good. im just saying i cant tell any difference. i could swap shocks back and forth in a blind test and no way would i be able to tell which was which.
i only track my car. hardly ever sees the street.
but with that being said im happy with the purchase still. peace of mind more than anything.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:17 AM
andersnor
Racer

For me it was more a refresh thing, with a slight upgrade since they have good feedback, my car is a 2008 model, so its 11 years old... and shocks are a consumable.

I could do the 3-4k shocks but tuning them..Im so tired of adjusting shocks on track, 0 adjustment.. 0 time spent on this, just have to deal with whatever I got

I will use the car on the nürburgring, and the track favours a softer setup anyway, all other trackdays is a compromise. Will also drive to/from track.

I did drive my previous dedicated racecar on the ring, with the setup for flat tracks like GP-strecke/ spa francorchamps.... it was extremly scary, the not perfectly flat asphalt would send me flying everywhere suddenly and I just lacked suspension travel as it was sprung to high and setup too aggresive. (KW competition).

Get notified of new replies

To DRM bilstein suitable for hpde/trackday?

Quick Reply: DRM bilstein suitable for hpde/trackday?