Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first trackday with the c6z, so much fun

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 03:36 AM
andersnor
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default first trackday with the c6z, so much fun

I've had misc porsches and bmw M before, last year I got a C61 Z51, this year a C6 Z06

90% of my upgrades arrives today but there was a trackday this weekend, and I had the time so why not. , and wowie its like its a whole other car from the z51. Sooo much fun, so much grip, even on stock tires and dims. Brakes performed better than I could have guessed (did put SRF )

Engine just pulls and pulls, there is a main straight, and a back straight I could hit 135mph+ easy on both. E46 m3 with supercharger, ferraris, lambos, skylines were also easy to keep up with

Engine, chassis, shocks are just super nice considering its stock, side grip is massive. Just sooo much fun

Now to the negative,
the rear of the car was flexing around, you could feel the wheels adjust angle and the A arms flex on acceleration, car is putting down 482RWHP and with hot tires and grip it wasnt optimal. I've orderd a fully kit from AMT, should I do anything else? also replaceing all shocks and shockmounts with DRM valved bilstein and delrin bushings.
When just going through a long sweeping corner it would be ok, but acceleratiing uphill, or on straight car would fishtail, in a straight line, without tire slip :o

seats... the seats does not have air thingies for side bolster, I had other seats, with them on Z51 car.. I'm all over the place.. it has 2 long left turns and you kinda just get stuck with helmet in roof and shoulder in window, I've seen people complain and yes its just sad/bad, I do enjoy them for cruising and road, but for track it was just a nogo. Since I'm in europe I need seats with FIA approval, Im 6.2-6.3 and about 230-240lbs. Need to fit with helmet,
I have to drive a few hours for the trackday, so a slider for driver is sadly needed.
How do you solve the problem with 5/6 point hardness, and hard seats, and rollover scenarios? are there any rollbars or half cages without to much permanent "damage" to the car? car is inspected annually, and I need to keep regular seat belt for inspection, I will work with the DMV to see what sort of cage work can be accepted for road car, but I know from previous experience that they dont want huge things.

Steering wheel... yeah.. this thing is huuuuge and I'm tall so kinda interferes, since car is road legal I would prefer to keep airbag, how do most solve it? just ditch stock and go aftermarket racing wheel?

Was 2 x c7, 1x c4 and me on trackday, think its new corvette record, there tend to be more GT2RS than vettes since this is europe..

I have orderd

DRM valved bilstein
delrin bushings for bilsteins
AMT Adjustable Camber Kit - C6Z/ZR1 × 1
AMT Monoball Control Arm Bushings - C5, C6, C6Z/ZR1, C7 × 1
GM Ball joint set
AP racing radi-cal up front
AP racing rear
Ferodo DS 3.12
18x11 18x13 wheels

Last edited by andersnor; 06-11-2019 at 03:41 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:52 AM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

the C6Z is Gods Chariot and the greatest variant of the corvette IMO. the last of the lightweights too.

check rear alignment. make sure you have a good 3/16" rear toe in. car should not be moving around in a straight line. although now that i think back when i first got mine, it did that too at high speeds. (banks of TWS)

yeah the seats are HORRIBLE i had read that they were, and then when i experienced them i couldnt believe how right the internet was. race seats was one of my first upgrades. i do still run stock belts for now. been working great. the internet will have a problem with this.

i did go to aftermarket wheel, but have not attempted to get an inspection for the street since.

full cage + street + no helmet = extremely dangerous for head injury's. now a roll bar that stays behind you would be safer. but there not really that great, nor legal for w2w racing.

i didnt notice any difference from stock z06 shocks to the DRM bilstiens
Old 06-13-2019, 11:32 AM
fuggles
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

+1 on rear alignment. The car is likely squatting on acceleration possibly causing toe out on the rear. Awesome report. Sounds fun. Nice list of mods.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:15 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

It is a beast of a car. I too had the C6 Z51 and then a C6Z, Both were a 2008.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:25 PM
KEZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

You might see about the Marrads ultra low seat mounts with sliders. I have Cobra Suzuka GT seats with Sparco side mounts and Gspeed floor rails. The floor rails are simply wide cut and slightly bent to sit on the carpet but are tight and are not predrilled which was a pita. I love the seats! I also have a 6pt rsd roll bar with a diagonal cross bar at the main hoop. It comes just under the main hoop trim of the car barely. Having said that with a helmet I think I barely had an inch clearance to the top of the rollbar and I am 5'9". A little longer torsoed than legs from a proportion standpoint. I am thinking about the marrads. C6 just doesn't have a ton of vertical room. If you are more legs than torso, there is plenty of room to move the seat back at least how mine is set up. GLW finding the right set up.

Last edited by KEZ06; 06-19-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:15 AM
andersnor
Racer

Originally Posted by KEZ06
You might see about the Marrads ultra low seat mounts with sliders. I have Cobra Suzuka GT seats with Sparco side mounts and Gspeed floor rails. The floor rails are simply wide cut and slightly bent to sit on the carpet but are tight and are not predrilled which was a pita. I love the seats! I also have a 6pt rsd roll bar with a diagonal cross bar at the main hoop. It comes just under the main hoop trim of the car barely. Having said that with a helmet I think I barely had an inch clearance to the top of the toolbar and I am 5'9". A little longer torsoed than legs from a proportion standpoint. I am thinking about the marrads. C6 just doesn't have a ton of vertical room. If you are more legs than torso, there is plenty of room to move the seat back at least how mine is set up. GLW finding the right set up.
do you have any picture of said setup? or a thread I can goto and read about your setup?
Old 06-14-2019, 05:12 AM
KEZ06
Melting Slicks

Name:  photo265.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  1.64 MB

The door bars barely clear the seats side bolsters. If the seat is further back that is an easier fitment. The drivers side just barely rubs. The recommendation is to slighly trim the seat under the cover at the rub point for relief. I havent done that bc it works as is. I used Vetteworks for the modules so I still have telescoping steering column and airbag plug-ins. I have team tec harnesses which I like and use a hans. I kept the passenger side airbag operational by rolling up the bladder and zip tying it. I put the bladder in a neoprene computer bag (cut a slit in the bag) and placed it behind the pass seat to keep it protected. You dont have to do that part but I drive my car on the street as well and also have the oe seatbelts still in the car too. Also i highly recomnend a quick disconnect steering wheel for ease of in and out. A cheap 300 and you can install yourself in about 30 minutes. The horn is operational.
Attached Images     

Last edited by KEZ06; 06-14-2019 at 05:30 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:14 AM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

ive never seen those wheels before.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:59 PM
KEZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS
ive never seen those wheels before.
The wheels are ccws. On the car when I purchased it. I have this set and a centennial set for wet and dry driving.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:48 PM
andersnor
Racer

CCW's just dumped by here as well C10s though

rear brakes and a ton of parts.

Seat mounting looks goo

Old 06-14-2019, 04:20 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

if my math is correct, thats about $7400 sitting on that pallet
(rear APs + 4 CCWs)

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 06-14-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:04 AM
rico750sxi
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 137 Posts

What track? Or did I miss it?
Old 06-18-2019, 02:00 PM
andersnor
Racer

Rudskogen, Norway
Old 06-18-2019, 05:28 PM
Fishy Dave
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by andersnor
Rudskogen, Norway
Excellent track, I filmed there at Gatebil 12 years ago:

Just curious, why do you need an FIA seat? We don't need them in the UK for trackdays, sprinting or Time Attack?
Old 06-19-2019, 01:24 PM
andersnor
Racer

zeee germans tend to like FIA, also for our semi annual approval.

12 years ago, thats some time indeed, the track has changed, its much longer now and you can hit 220+kmh on both straight and the back of it.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:39 PM
Glowing Rotors
St Jude Drive every year
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
Default C6Z Track Cars.... Big Fun

Andersnor, you will find out that the better track car you make, the harder it is to keep it street legal.... Plus the weight savings is a big advantage when you strip out all the items you don't want or need on a track day.... (mufflers, radio, carpet, air conditioning, side windows, headlights, heater box, etc) And getting your car to a lower weight is as important to improving track times as growing more horsepower. The C6Z has plenty of power to be fun. But I understand a dedicated track car is not for everyone.

Good luck figuring out where to stop modifying your car. I could not stop and ended up with a dedicated track C6Z, which is as fast a my Porsche or BMW buddies when we club race in the 6 pound per wheel horsepower class....

Big fun.

BTW: Good start with the AP brakes... You'll like them.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:46 AM
andersnor
Racer

@Glowing Rotors this is all too true, I've gone overboard with so many cars, so many times. I've also owned dedicated proper racecars, the racecar on a slow warmup lap, would be faster than any of the modified street cars at their best.

I will just do casual trackdays/hpde/fun, I'm tired of racing/cost/time.

With that said, 100% stock is no fun at any track.

I have a very specific goal that all and any mods, needs to be reverisble in a quick manner.

On saturday I took the car when attending a wedding, driving there in a suit, rockin the AC, sunday grabbed burgers and went to the marina with some company in the car.... stilll needs to be usable for this.

on your pick, are thoose CCW C10?
Old 06-24-2019, 10:20 AM
Glowing Rotors
St Jude Drive every year
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
Default C6Z Track Cars.... Big Fun

My wheels are CCW C14, 18 x 11 front and 18 x 13 rear. Coil over springs may help you too and they are easy to switch back to stock. Good luck!
Old 06-25-2019, 02:02 PM
andersnor
Racer

my AMT package just arrived at freight forwarder, also just payed for SKF hubs... hopefully I should get things installed 3rd/4th of july, and just make the amcar parade on the 4th

Get notified of new replies

To first trackday with the c6z, so much fun

Quick Reply: first trackday with the c6z, so much fun