Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE track data with Gopro7 black

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 11:23 AM
DIYBrad
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts
Default HPDE track data with Gopro7 black

I know this has been beat to death but i couldnt find anything specific for the go pro 7. I am about to attend my first HPDE and i have a gopro 7 black with suction cup. i would like to overlay the video with basic data like RPM, Speed, track location. Without breaking the bank, what will i need to purchase to make this doable? The Gopro has GPS but i dont know if i still need a separate GPS unit.

Thanks

Brad
Old 06-18-2019, 12:39 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by DIYBrad
I know this has been beat to death but i couldnt find anything specific for the go pro 7. I am about to attend my first HPDE and i have a gopro 7 black with suction cup. i would like to overlay the video with basic data like RPM, Speed, track location. Without breaking the bank, what will i need to purchase to make this doable? The Gopro has GPS but i dont know if i still need a separate GPS unit.

Thanks

Brad
Phone app like track addict or Harrys laptimer.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:04 PM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

GoPro software itself will paint a map and mimic a speedometer with GPS data..so you'll get pretty close, but will be limited to layouts and can't change much.

Track Addict is what I would used previously..has a Wi-Fi feature that will auto-start your GoPro for easy data sync when you want to do data overlay with software like RaceRender. Used Harry's too, but didn't care for it as much.

Your phone will work fine with built in GPS, but not as good if you get an external GPS..which could be another ~$100 tool. You'll also need a tool to connect to OBDII from your phone..there's another $20-$80 depending on brand.

On the higher end of cost, you can use an AIM Solo DL to get more data from the car for advanced analysis.

Last edited by BigMonkey73; 06-18-2019 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:16 PM
DIYBrad
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMonkey73
GoPro software itself will paint a map and mimic a speedometer with GPS data..so you'll get pretty close, but will be limited to layouts and can't change much.

Track Addict is what I would used previously..has a Wi-Fi feature that will auto-start your GoPro for easy data sync when you want to do data overlay with software like RaceRender. Used Harry's too, but didn't care for it as much.

Your phone will work fine with built in GPS, but not as good if you get an external GPS..which could be another ~$100 tool. You'll also need a tool to connect to OBDII from your phone..there's another $20-$80 depending on brand.

On the higher end of cost, you can use an AIM Solo DL to get more data from the car for advanced analysis.
Great suggestions. I think i may just record video this go around and splurge for the Aim Solo DL before i go to Homestead in August.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:26 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by DIYBrad
Great suggestions. I think i may just record video this go around and splurge for the Aim Solo DL before i go to Homestead in August.
To overlay the AIM data on your video you’ll need RaceRender (sp?) which is $50 or so or you need the AIM Smartycam which defeats the purpose of having a GoPro unless you want multiple views.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:08 PM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '15

Yep ^

GoPro will never be a bad thing to buy IMO. Smartycam is nice, but is $1K Even if you were to have one, it's nice to be able to use the GoPro for different view such as rear...or at the wheels..or down in front on the bumper. Smartycam is tied to the AIM I believe for power..but don't quote me on that..not sure if it can use a battery like the GoPro.

The GoPro7 is extra nice because it can handle a 256GB memory card. Can record a crap ton of video before having to switch cards or clearing it. I'll get a Smartycam one day, but GP will do for now.

I'm actually going to downgrade to a GoPro 4 because, with the right aftermarket parts, you can hook up direct power so you don't have to worry about batteries and you can hook up an external mic to run at the rear near exhaust...which sounds awesome on video. Can't do both with gen 5/6/7 as far as I know...you have to pick battery or external mic..not both...thus the downgrade. Still great video with the gen 4 IMO...good enough for me at least
Old 06-19-2019, 01:22 AM
DrackVB
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

+1 for Phone + Track Addicts + cheap ELM + Race Render + Action Camera.

Run on Phone to collect data and show in car lap times.
http://racerender.com/TrackAddict/Features.html
Select the track and hit go. If you aren't using the wifi to collect data you can use it

ELM 327 OBD2 adapter. If you use an apple product make sure you get a wifi adapter. Bluetooth is better if you have an android device.
I use this one on my iphone.
https://www.amazon.com/iKKEGOL-iCar-Mini-Diagnostic-iPhone/dp/B00PFFG1EO/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=iKKEGOL+iCar+2&qid=1560921019&s=automotive&sr=1-3 https://www.amazon.com/iKKEGOL-iCar-Mini-Diagnostic-iPhone/dp/B00PFFG1EO/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=iKKEGOL+iCar+2&qid=1560921019&s=automotive&sr=1-3

Put it all together after the fact on the PC at home. Looks more involved than it actually is for simple videos.
http://racerender.com/RR3/Features.html
Deluxe addition is good enough unless you want to start creating custom gauges.

Sample of it put together. Here is me running at ACS doing a shake down day. First time at this track and first time running the car so taking a bit easy especially in the Nascar Turn.

Go Pro 4 Black as the front Camera
Garmin Virb as the rear Camera
Data only on the phone.

Last edited by DrackVB; 06-19-2019 at 01:25 AM.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:38 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

If you are OK not having RPM and don’t want realtime lap info while you drive... GoPro actually has a good internal GPS.

With racechrono pro you can import the video file and it will read the internal gps info assuming gps is enabled. My GoPro 5 has gps rate of 17hz IIRC. I assume 7 is same or better.

Other apps may have this now too. Just another option if you don’t require a real-time lap timer in the car with you while you drive.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:51 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

Dashware is a great program also for overlaying video and data. I use it flying driving off-roading etc. you can customize the output anyway you want.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:12 PM
Typicalcorvettebro
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMonkey73
I'm actually going to downgrade to a GoPro 4 because, with the right aftermarket parts, you can hook up direct power so you don't have to worry about batteries and you can hook up an external mic to run at the rear near exhaust...which sounds awesome on video. Can't do both with gen 5/6/7 as far as I know...you have to pick battery or external mic..not both...thus the downgrade. Still great video with the gen 4 IMO...good enough for me at least

You can run power into the usb-c in of the mic adapter.

however it is temperamental to good cables or gp will get super flaky, you also cant run it to the camera from an extension in my experience

and increased the frequency of my h7b crashing

Last edited by Typicalcorvettebro; 06-21-2019 at 05:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BigMonkey73 (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 12:30 PM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Typicalcorvettebro
You can run power into the usb-c in of the mic adapter.

however it is temperamental to good cables or gp will get super flaky, you also cant run it to the camera from an extension in my experience

and increased the frequency of my h7b crashing
Well that is nice to know! Hadn't thought about that. I'm going to test this out then before selling the GP7. It turned on with no battery on a test, so looks promising. Let's see how it holds up on a track day in the car.

Get notified of new replies

To HPDE track data with Gopro7 black

Quick Reply: HPDE track data with Gopro7 black