Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mark Petronis - Survival, full documentary

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 07:37 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts
Default Mark Petronis - Survival, full documentary

Hey folks:

The documentary about my accident is finally live and public. Please do me a favor and clear 35 minutes and give it a watch and if you find it appropriate share with your friends and family in the motorsports community. My situation would be much different without the generosity and care of those in my life and it's my hope that at the very least this video can be my contribution towards helping to keep these special people and friends safe. Beyond that I hope that as I learn to overcome the challenges I face that I can help others in the recovery and struggle of their own challenges. So anyone please feel free to use me or reach out as a resource if I can be of service in any way. Thanks as always to Corvette Forum members for all your continued support of me and my family throughout my recovery.

https://youtu.be/DUS5tYBLycc

Mark Petronis, 2023 C8 #266
President - AMT Motorsport
Mark@AMTMotorsport.com
Facebook The 'Gram
518-877-8560

The following 8 users liked this post by Mark@AMT Motorsport:
68sixspeed (02-21-2022), IndyMikeC6 (02-21-2022), Kubs (02-22-2022), mfain (07-13-2022), PRE-Z06 (02-20-2022), StandardZ (02-22-2022), theox05 (02-22-2022), Wangspeed (02-20-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-19-2022, 08:02 PM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Old 02-20-2022, 12:09 PM
TopSpeedNeed
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Thank you for sharing Mark.... Very eye opening.
Old 02-20-2022, 04:17 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Watched it with my wife, want her to know the safety bucks are well spent.
Old 02-21-2022, 06:05 PM
richardnielsen
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

God Bless you and your family Mark. Thank you for the video. You are a stand up guy. Take care.
Old 02-21-2022, 08:17 PM
Toddster993
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks for sharing this Mark.
i have been debating what suspension upgrades I should make and your video has me re-examining my priorities.
Old 02-21-2022, 09:43 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm not sharing with the wife, as she might just not let me have fun anymore. That said, I need to start researching automatic fire systems and start planning for that too.
Old 02-22-2022, 02:36 PM
theox05
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Great doc, thanks for sharing Mark. Very happy to see you back.
Old 02-23-2022, 10:57 AM
Efx
Pro

Received 249 Likes on 124 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Incredible story Mark, wishing you continued health and best recovery.
Old 02-25-2022, 12:50 PM
NorthGeorgia
3rd Gear

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Truly moving,

As a fellow NASA racer I must admit that I have left my fire protection (suit and gloves) in the trailer on a test and tune day with temps above 90F in Atlanta.

Also have seen far too many off-track excursions into wooded areas with serious impacts; it is really unacceptable and those tracks are coming off my list. It is not matter of if you go off -- its just when and where....

What are your thoughts on how NASA, SCCA, MSF and other organizations should evaluate track safety and address as a group with track owners -

Seems there is an opportunity here to at least think about how the motorsports community could fund adding tire walls and other track safety improvements.

Also curious if you had a fuel cell?
I have an electric push button actuated fire protection system but will be upgrading ,,,,

Thanks so much for sharing - sincere wishes to you and your family
See you on track.

Thinking a non-profit where I could direct my corporate United Way giving ....

Last edited by NorthGeorgia; 02-25-2022 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-25-2022, 01:30 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

Something I didn't go into in the video and probably should have spent a little bit of time on is track safety. I didn't want to start a witch hunt and throw tracks under the bus. Ideally safety should be a shared responsibility between drivers and track owners. However as track patrons we should take it upon ourselves to take a hard look at the tracks we frequent and decide whether or not they are "safe". That would mean protection from immovable objects (namely trees), adequate and trained flagstaff, and safety and medical workers. I hold the overall track record at a track around my area that frankly has none of the above for the most part. In this case it's completely on the driver's shoulders to keep themselves safe. Does that mean this track should be shut down? Should the track have to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to protect its participants or risk being shut down? Or should we participants dial it back a little bit with the understanding that it's not a great place to have an accident? For me personally, I will likely return to the above mentioned track that is lined with nothing BUT trees, and just dial it way back. I don't know how much fun that will be for me so I might not do it often, but even me, with all that I've been through, don't feel the need to boycott a track like that.

I think it's safe to say that millions of laps have been turned at New Jersey Motorsports Park and I'm the first one who came damn close to being killed. If the trees were protected it would have likely just been a s***** weekend for me and I would have moved on with my life. However am I responsible for my actions and my outcome or is it the track?

I don't have the answers to these somewhat rhetorical questions. But I do believe they are questions we need to ask ourselves before we put our tires on any track surface. Could be a much deeper and heavier discussion to have with someone with more power than little old me! But if anyone ever wants to start an organization that specifically investigates and makes suggestions to improve track safety then I will be the first to volunteer.

Edit: Oh, and I didn't have a fuel cell, but cars with fuel cells explode and catch on fire too. Frankly I don't think I know anyone who tracks or races a factory-based Corvette at a non-pro level with a fuel cell, but ballistic bladders are available from Fuel Safe to be inserted in the factory tanks for about $6000 in parts. Here's a decent article about that:

https://rockthecurb.com/tag/amt-motorsport/

Last edited by Mark@AMT Motorsport; 02-25-2022 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-13-2022, 05:00 PM
Fast Eddie I
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fire Suppression System for C6Z

Hello to Mark. I viewed your video with much interest as I had been concerned about fire risk for some time. Like many weekend HPDE warriors, I utilize a stock interior car [C6Z] for track purposes. That said, I have been unable to find a dealer or otherwise that offers a DIY system that includes installation recommendations specific to one's car. I have found generic fire systems but all lack detail that caters to the hobby enthusiast.

Where does the ordinary Joe go for help?

BTW.... I utilize several of your suspension components and have been completely satisfied with the products and, in particular, your after-market assistance.

Best wishes and prayers for your full recovery. Your misfortune and subsequent disclosure serves as a wake-up call for many of us.
Old 07-14-2022, 10:52 PM
Keppler
Safety Car

Received 433 Likes on 304 Posts

I drive HPDE for fun. I generally do not push the car beyond my capabilities as a driver.

My greatest worry is getting out of a C6Z with a helmet on in an emergency. It is almost impossible to do wearing a helmet.

Get notified of new replies

To Mark Petronis - Survival, full documentary

Quick Reply: Mark Petronis - Survival, full documentary