Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats a good tire I can race on my car

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 05:14 PM
cyclerage23
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whats a good tire I can race on my car

I want to use a track tire when I go to the Glen and Limerock, whats good and not good to use? I dont think I want an all out slick, but if its worth it I'll try them.
thanks
Jason
Old 09-20-2004, 05:44 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hoosier, Goodyear, Kuhmos, depends on $$$ and rim size for some tires. What rims are you running?
Old 09-20-2004, 06:49 PM
cyclerage23
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Hoosier, Goodyear, Kuhmos, depends on $$$ and rim size for some tires. What rims are you running?
Right now I have 18x9.5 and 18x10. I also have a spare pair of 17x9.5 was thinking of inding another pair of them to keep for track use.
How are those dulop super sports?
Old 09-20-2004, 07:18 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When you say all out slick do you mean like a hoosier which is DOT leagel for the first track event or real slicks? Real slicks from GY are 4-500 ea. Street tire stink on the track and vise versa. Hard to find one that does all. How far are you driving to the track? Street tires are exspensive vs. a track tire and burn up fast from rolling under in hard cornering.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:52 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Full slicks don't last very long!

Unless you have a "Bunch" of experience, a DOT " R " tire would be a better choice. I've used both Hoosiers & Goodyear GSCS dot " R "s. Other guys have used Kumos... check other posts!

If you have very little experience, stay with your street tires! Street tires will squeal and give you ample warning before breaking loose. Race tires don't make much noise until they are ready to break loose!

Last edited by trumper Z06; 09-22-2004 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:55 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The victoracer is a nice affordable entry level R compound, but the hottest performers are the Hoosier's and Kuhmo 710's, but won't last as long
Old 09-21-2004, 03:45 PM
cyclerage23
Melting Slicks

Default Street tires

Originally Posted by trumper Z06
Full slicks don't last very long!

Unless you have a "Bunch" of experience, a DOT " R " tire would be a better choice. I've used both Hoosiers & Goodyear CSGS dot " R "s. Other guys have used Kumos... check other posts!

If you have very little experience, stay with your street tires! Street tires will squeal and give you ample warning before breaking loose. Race tires don't make much noise until they are ready to break loose!
Sounds like a really good point. What are good? I have to replace them any way I have Toyo Proxes on the car now and they seem ok. Any suggestions? These would be to drive around and race on.
Has anyone used those Dunlop supersport tires?
Old 09-21-2004, 10:31 PM
Mike Schriber
Drifting

Boy, a lot of tire questions lately!

If you run 17" wheels, your costs will be considerably less. The Goodyear GS-CS1 is an excellent tire. It's true that race tires don't squeal, but the Goodyears (and also the Kuhmos) are very progressive and predictable

When I was running my C5 on the track, racing tires were the best upgrade I did. Contrary to what others have said, you don't need tons of experience to enjoy and be safe with racing tires.

If you're concerned, run for a but with Active Handling on. It's a great system that can help you learn what you're doing wrong and save your bacon in many cases if you really screw up.

Mike
Old 09-22-2004, 09:39 AM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cyclerage23
Sounds like a really good point. What are good? I have to replace them any way I have Toyo Proxes on the car now and they seem ok. Any suggestions? These would be to drive around and race on.
Has anyone used those Dunlop supersport tires?
IMO... The stock Goodyear F-1 supercar tires hold well on the track. For a "stock tire" these suckers do "stick" ! Also the stock set-up 17 inch front, 18 inch rear give you a little "under-steer", this is safer for newbe's! I've gone thru 6 sets of Goodyear F-1's since 2001, so yeah... I like em !

I run both Hoosier's & Goodyear GSCS for tracking, but I do use the F-1's in the rain. Hope this helps, have FUN !!!
Old 09-22-2004, 09:50 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I ran Mich Piliot Sports for 9 schools and street driving. On the track they take about 2 laps to heat up and stick.

Now I use these tires as my rain tires on the track. I use Hoosiers for the track. I also have a set of GY slicks I am waiting to use.

You could also call Bob Chick in Charlston SC. He has used or slighly used race tires and srcubbs. bout $400 for a set of 4 tires plus shipping for a set of scrubbs. 843-762-7168

A good set of scrubbs could get you one less weekend then a set of new tires for $1200-1400.

Several options.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:30 AM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

BFG G-Force KD
A street tire, that when warmed up is not very far off a DOT R-compound tire.
I'm very impressed w/ it's track/Auto-X performance for a street tire
Old 09-23-2004, 09:08 AM
z060ntrack
Drifting

Don't forget the Toyo RA1's
Old 09-23-2004, 11:46 AM
cyclerage23
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by z060ntrack
Don't forget the Toyo RA1's