Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

Is Corvette Mid Year Prices Dropping? Help Please.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 11:00 PM
woodchuck
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Corvette Mid Year Prices Dropping? Help Please.

I was wanting to know with the gas price increase, Is the mid year cars dropping any? Are they selling? Everything is such a stand still, i see the same cars always posted for sale. I was wanting to know because i was fixing to bite the bullet.

All advise will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:14 PM
jcapps
Drifting

Received 546 Likes on 168 Posts

Looks like a stalemate to me. Been seeing many of the same ones for almost 9 months.
If a car does not sell in 6 months, I don't care how fair priced you think it is, it is more than the market will bear.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:44 AM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jcapps
Looks like a stalemate to me. Been seeing many of the same ones for almost 9 months.
If a car does not sell in 6 months, I don't care how fair priced you think it is, it is more than the market will bear.
You can add to that "it also doesn't matter what it cost you to restore it, to build it, to buy it"....if it doesn't sell in 6 months the market is telling you something.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:17 AM
Slick64
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by woodchuck
I was wanting to know with the gas price increase, Is the mid year cars dropping any? Are they selling? Everything is such a stand still, i see the same cars always posted for sale. I was wanting to know because i was fixing to bite the bullet.

All advise will be greatly appreciated.
I just don't understand what the price of gas has to do with prices of midyears and why it keeps coming up. Are people selling cars because they can't afford gas? Honestly?

I am hoping to trade for something different and since I haven't gotten any offers I'm interested in, I'm gonna sell it and outright buy something. I'm not looking to make or recoup money spent, but its certainly not because of gas prices. I also don't think I'm asking for too much money.

I haven't really advertised it anywhere but here actually. If it goes it goes, if it doesn't I still drive it around on weekends, but once it gets hot I'll park it and take out my chopper.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:23 AM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

Show me where the market is weak for quality, clean Midyears? Go back to last year and see what cars were selling for. Cars were 45-50K and now 50-55K, looks like a 10% increase to me. The same cars show up on EBAY and other sites because they are over priced, or something wrong. There are alot of LOWBALLERS now because with the economy, they think its a FIRESALE. I was just at Carlisle and cars were selling and money was flowing. It was packed but the nice cars were moving. Just my opinion.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:25 PM
vettelawyer67
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bowtyeguy
Show me where the market is weak for quality, clean Midyears? Go back to last year and see what cars were selling for. Cars were 45-50K and now 50-55K, looks like a 10% increase to me. The same cars show up on EBAY and other sites because they are over priced, or something wrong. There are alot of LOWBALLERS now because with the economy, they think its a FIRESALE. I was just at Carlisle and cars were selling and money was flowing. It was packed but the nice cars were moving. Just my opinion.
you a dead on
Old 04-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

If people raised there price 10% over last year then maybe I should do the same on my 66 and 63 Coupes. Then they would sell.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:03 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 386 Likes on 270 Posts

Not that I am disareeing with you, but I noticed few cars that were sold at Carlisle, and don't remember them selling recycled car spots over the loud speakers like years past.

Tom M
Old 04-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Eric B
Instructor

I've been looking to buy a C2 Coupe for over a year and have noticed the prices are about the same if not increased a little.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:39 PM
427-390
Drifting

Mecum auction this weekend will have a lot of 'Vettes coming across the block with a reserve on each car. This should be a good indicator on where the market is.... or not. It will also be interesting to see how much the serial #1 '55, the #1 '56, and # 1 '57, will go for. You would think that BJ would have tried to get this sale and promote it heavily this year or even next year. IMO, in any auction or private sale, the nicest cars will always get all the money, anything other then the best of the best is a guessing game.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:47 PM
tls630
Melting Slicks

: It has nothing to do with gas prices, the economy is in the ****er as a whole. Nothing is selling......... Even C-2'S, I see the same ones week after week..Prices don't seem to be any lower but they are not selling either....
Old 04-30-2008, 11:01 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

you hit the "Nail On The Head"
Old 05-01-2008, 06:02 AM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

Hey Mike Terry, put your Maroon car up here now, I am sure you will get some bites.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:11 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 208 Likes on 150 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Most older Corvettes are not daily drivers ,so who would care what the gas prices are?
Many people loan on their home 2nd to buy a Corvette so that may be a reason to sell their Corvette to bring down their over head .
Old 05-01-2008, 03:26 PM
tls630
Melting Slicks

Most older corvettes are not daily drivers. The price of gas doesn't impact the price. What does impact the price is the guys who bought them and did it on borrowed money.As in second mortgages, equity lines and so on. Sooner or later you will see a price DROP.I ALSO AGREE THAT RIGHT NOW PRICES ARE HOLDING STEADY..But for how long??
Old 05-01-2008, 06:18 PM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

asking and getting are two different things.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:49 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Things like cost of Gas, Food and other everyday essentials of life do have effect on people buying and what they can afford to spend on non essentials like Corvettes, boats, motorcycles, etc.

If the rising price of gas, food, etc has you worried, you should not even think about buying any non essential item. You should instead use the money to pay down your current debt level.

When people begin to feel or think they will be feeling a monetary squeeze, Items go up for sale first at just above break even price. Then as things get tighter at break even price, and then when it's no longer a squeeze or fear of being squeezed but real, then prices fall. How much depends on monetary situation of each person/family.

Most quality collectable's are bought by those that do not have to finance them, or by those that have little fear of not being able to keep them even if economy goes South, so prices are more likely to hold stable and just maybe still improve a modest amount year to year even in a slow economy.

These are also the cars that you see go up at auctions and bring those prices an make so many think their 1-3 driver grade cars are worth what they paid for them or more than what they paid for them. There is the problem of market, market, market, and buyers in each market. Auctions bring buyers and collectable's together with buyers competing for same quality car. Individual seller in a particular market do not have that advantage.

There is the problem also of when you factor in the cost of restoration of one of these driver quality cars to a Top Flight restored car that's on the auction block to be sold. In most cases the quality car is the bargain and the driver is the overpriced car. Back out the cost of that quality restoration and you might just find out that your driver is only worth $3500-$15,000. If you think I'm full of it, just add cost of having a top fight quality paint job and interior restoration done to what you paid for a driver bought in last 4 years and see how close you are to that of a Top Flight car of like kind brings going across the auction block and your not even close to total of what Top flight restoration's cost was.

Bottom line, waiting on a pull back in price of a collectable is smart, but if you have to wait for a pull back in price to feel comfortable buying, then you would be a lot smarter to wait until you know that you want get squeezed if economy keep deteriorating. Make sure you buy at what your bottom can stand not just what you think the market's bottom is...

I personally will have lost a little over $14,000.00 dollars in income this year over last year's. Haven't lost any money, just can't make the same amount on some of it this year as last and next year I can add some more drop to it unless I go from no risk too high risk investments that could cause me to lose it if economy deteriorates more due to inflation and people that are debt leveraged to max start bankrupting.

It's not your debt or lack of it that could be problem. It's those people your hoping will have to dump their corvette at a fire sale price due to their debt and others that can't service their debt that can take you right along with them.

Remember, they have been preaching "The man that dies with the most unpaid for TOYS Wins" in bussiness schools for the last 20+ years. Debt leverage for both personal and bussiness is good practice, not a bad practice.

I'm praying prices don't drop and those that bought into the above BS keep being winners so they don't make me a bigger loser for not buying like them, things I really couldn't afford because I was afraid it would catch up with me like it appears has started to catch up with them.

Seems from a lot of post on different boards, a lot of people think they want to see this so they can buy in. I'm not one of those. I hope no one has to dump thier vette so I can buy. I see no pleasure in another's misery even if it was caused by poor judgement are not.

My rant and 1,400,000 cents on subject.

Last edited by Poorhousenext; 05-01-2008 at 06:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Is Corvette Mid Year Prices Dropping? Help Please.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:47 PM
blubu
Racer

Nice mid years may flucuate but they will always hold their value
Chill out and let it ride
Old 05-02-2008, 12:43 AM
woodchuck
Advanced

Default I did not see money floating.

Originally Posted by Tom McCabe
Not that I am disareeing with you, but I noticed few cars that were sold at Carlisle, and don't remember them selling recycled car spots over the loud speakers like years past.

Tom M

I was there , and i did not see many transactions take place at all, I am in the market for a nice mid year but i think i am gonna hold off for a while to see what the economy is going to do, I honestly think the gas prices is causing EVERYTHING to stand still and what ever someone is trying to sell is WORTH WHAT THEY CAN GET, To many houses are being taken back by banks every day, (Reposessed).. Thank you all for your input and i know everybody has there own opinion. But i think all highline cars are falling down. I give up. Again the same cars are being posted for the last 6 months or more and they are not selling.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:45 AM
tls630
Melting Slicks

Something is only worth what you can get for it.......And no more!

Quick Reply: Is Corvette Mid Year Prices Dropping? Help Please.