Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

Is Corvette Mid Year Prices Dropping? Help Please.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 10:56 PM
kikomax
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jntdysf
I'm not going to let this thread die, bad grammar and all.

Just received this news flash from Old Cars Weekly. Old news for some of us.

Pro Team’s Michaelis Sees Changing ’Vette Market
September 08, 2008

by By John Gunnell Like other Corvette dealers told Old Cars Weekly in the past year, Corvettes with prices in the $10,000 or lower range are hard to sell and not bringing the strongest prices. As in real estate, it is a buyer’s market right now.

“It creates urgency.”
I bet it does.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Stingxray
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingxray
The FIX is in, and this government can't stop this runaway train. Baby BOOMER'S will finally see through the feds made up Inflation numbers and start withdrawing their 401 k's to make ends meet. When the Stock market sees massive money outflows it will all tip over. The Federal Reserve has us chasing Bubble's.
Interest Rate cuts have little to no effect as they get closer to zero. Mark My words.." After the November election's ...interest rates WILL go Up". Banks are failing big and small ... Lehman Brothers' is next !
This bubble will burst in the Fed Reserves Face. No Bailout of the sub prime bond holders by this tax payer!
Midyear prices dropping ?????? Who Cares

I certainly am " NOT a Prophet" But to for-see Fannie & Freddy failing before Lehman Bros???? >>>>>SORRY. Pro Team is liquidating & closing Stores reality is slowly sinking in......... Bubbles don't re-inflate! The party is over....... and the broken shot glass is in the garbage disposal (A personal Experience). Clean Up Will be long and tedious (Generations) . Keep your midyear if you can. "Midyear Values Dropping?? ....Who cares" ... We Need to address the real problem.... "Wake up People"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBo2x...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iax_B...eature=related
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BUOB12Q9MV.DTL

Last edited by Stingxray; 09-11-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:54 AM
Stingxray
Drifting

Yep............ The market is starting to unravel. 1967 BB Roadster's........ will be no money down and no intrest for the 10 year's. $1995 prices Nothing is imune from this
Old 10-07-2008, 12:08 AM
mkh
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

I do think prices are down but not just on midyears. Any type of luxury is probably a little down at this time. But I do not see midyears selling at fire sale prices now, or in the future. I think for the most part midyear owners are probably in there late 40's and up. This age group has mostly begun to get their mortages paid off and probably dont have a lot of debt. The youger age groups are who are really beginning to feel the crunch. Of course this is just my opinion. After saving for almost 10 years, I searched for over a year and this April I finally purchased a 1965 coupe. I have owned several corvettes over the years but always wanted a midyear. I paid to much for it but is was just what I was looking for. Just since April I have already lost money on the car for sure, but you know what I feel much better knowing the car is in my garage and I dont have the car money invested in the market any longer. I may be in the minority but I am glad I bailed out of the market and purchased a midyear when I did. Could I purchase the same car now cheaper, probably so but I would have lost that difference anyway in the market. So I for one will hang on and enjoy the car every chance I get. MKH
Old 10-08-2008, 10:39 AM
onevetteguy
Instructor

keep the 65 until spring - I really doubt you will loose any money.

This thread will die !
Old 10-08-2008, 01:58 PM
jet2vettes
Racer

Don't be too sure. Remember the recession of the early 1990's. Compare the collector car prices in 1988 to those in 1992. History unfortunately maybe repeating itself and from a real estate perspective its far worse.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Stingxray
Drifting

Default $Dollar days are numbered .

Read Crash Proof By Peter Schiff .
We Must Stay liquid....... Here is the crucial point in history that our great grandchildren will say "What were they thinking " ???

We are too broke to buy more stuff ! Debt does not = Wealth !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKNv25jAlGg

Last edited by Stingxray; 10-09-2008 at 12:27 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:29 PM
itsonlyairandfuel
Melting Slicks

Received 391 Likes on 243 Posts

Yep the midyears are going to be worthless . Please let me Know what You want to get rid of at fire sale give away prices, before you have to pay to have them hauled away. . Ron B.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:00 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,782 Likes on 830 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Gentleman:

I just purchased a mid year a month ago and I can tell you that there is a lot of inventory on the market. All you need to do is narrow the field down, pick three or four that you can really live with, and see who is the weakest seller. There is always someone who needs to get out, and this economy has more than its share of people who probably cannot afford to hold on to these cars.

I saw a lot of the same cars for sale, month after month. My general impression is that a lot of them are not selling. It was easy to walk away from the premier ones that wouldn't negoitiate on price. For everyone of those, two or three more were waiting. Given that the production was around 100,000 for the mid years, nothwithstanding survival rates, that still leaves a lot of cars in the hands of the public.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:07 PM
onevetteguy
Instructor

I'm also ready to purchase fire sale midyear vettes. Anyone who is feeling nervous over the value of their midyear roadster and getting motivated to sell can feel free to pm me with your car's photos and details. Or list them here.

Thanks !
Old 10-17-2008, 09:08 AM
ratpack1968
Pro

The four most dangerous words in investing are "this time its different". Boom and bust cycles are an inevitable reality and though each bust is different in the details it is never different in the higher reality that they inevitably turn into recoveries that eventually steer the markets back to their long, consistent trajectory upward.

I have always viewed the appreciation potential of my car as incidental to the real reason I own it - I love the car and appreciate the history of the marque. The perceived "bust" in current prices should be viewed as an opportunity to get these cars back into the hands of those who truly appreciate them.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:27 PM
jntdysf
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by ratpack1968
I have always viewed the appreciation potential of my car as incidental to the real reason I own it - I love the car and appreciate the history of the marque. The perceived "bust" in current prices should be viewed as an opportunity to get these cars back into the hands of those who truly appreciate them.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:20 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

I think the collapse of Wall Street will bring all these mid years back to their original MSRP prices. I am holding out for a '62 Honduras/340 hp/two top for $4,255. I think it is doable by the late spring of '09. Maybe I should hold out for the big brake option but I don't want to get greedy......
Old 10-18-2008, 11:56 PM
onevetteguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dan Hampton
I think the collapse of Wall Street will bring all these mid years back to their original MSRP prices. I am holding out for a '62 Honduras/340 hp/two top for $4,255. I think it is doable by the late spring of '09. Maybe I should hold out for the big brake option but I don't want to get greedy......
I have never heard any such nonsense as the above post is ! These posts are trying to scare sellers into letting their cars go cheap. It will never happen...
Old 10-19-2008, 12:27 AM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Onevetteguy:

Lighten up. I was just trying to bring some levity into this discussion. If these cars truly reach their original MSRP levels, the value of your mid year will be the least of your concerns. For the time being, have some fun with this thread.

Last edited by Dan Hampton; 10-19-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:06 PM
RFat16
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bowtyeguy
Show me where the market is weak for quality, clean Midyears? Go back to last year and see what cars were selling for. Cars were 45-50K and now 50-55K, looks like a 10% increase to me. The same cars show up on EBAY and other sites because they are over priced, or something wrong. There are alot of LOWBALLERS now because with the economy, they think its a FIRESALE. I was just at Carlisle and cars were selling and money was flowing. It was packed but the nice cars were moving. Just my opinion.

The only cars that will sell in a Crappy market are GOOD Quality cars. They wont sell for what they once did but they will sell. Not good quality cars you might as well give away. Quality is key

Last lets not forget one thing. WHO REALLY CARES IF THE PRICE DOES GO DOWN. At least its not a stock. If a stock price crashes you have piece of paper saying you have nothing and you can wipe your butt with it. If the corvette market crashes.....fill your bad boy up and drive it, cause you still have something you love and you can have fun with it.

Last edited by RFat16; 10-23-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:37 PM
32hibo
Advanced

Default WHAT do You think NOW

Hate to say it BUT I said things where goin to hell!!!! ILL say it again YOU aint seen nothin yet!!!!

Quick Reply: Is Corvette Mid Year Prices Dropping? Help Please.