Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

FS: 1959 4-speed C1 for sale in Minnesota $45k

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 11:19 AM
Root2812
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 1959 4-speed C1 for sale in Minnesota $45k

So its with a heavy heart that I am listing my dream car for sale. My family has gotten bigger and the car doesn't have enough seats. I am ok with letting the car sit but I would rather have the money to buy something my family can all enjoy.

My car is a 1959 Corvette and is one of the only 9,670 Corvettes built in 1959. This car came in one of the rarer colors, Frost Blue, which came on only 1,024 cars. Beyond that GM does not have production numbers available but the car is optioned with the 4-speed manual instead of the base 3-speed or the Powerglide Automatic. This is a white soft top car with Frost Blue interior.

The car recently underwent a frame off restoration that included an engine rebuild, new clutch, new exhaust, and all mechanicals gone through in addition to so much more. The car also had a professional paint job done on the exterior that cost around $8,000. The paint looks flawless. The car has all its original trim and original hub caps. Those hub caps are very expensive and these are flawless. All of the stainless trim for the car is in great shape. A few pieces of chrome are driver quality and could use replating if going full on show car.

I purchased the car from the widow of the second owner (owned since late 60's) after the owner passed away. He had most of the frame off done at a shop, the engine rebuilt and the car painted but it was otherwise unfinished. At the time I got it, it was a runner and close to a driver, I had to do the brakes, put on new tires, and change all fluids to make it a reliable driver. The car now is very reliable. I don't hesitate to drive it anywhere unless its raining because the original soft top is in need of replacement. I have a brand new soft top that goes with the car but needs sewn on. I didn't have it put on yet because I would rather the car sit at an upholstery shop in the winter.

This car was my dream car and I have put a ton of parts and labor into the car but I have only been able to put on about 500 miles this year because my wife and kid don't fit.

Its gloomy and rainy this week so I haven't taken more photos for a while but the attached photos show the car. Since they have been taken I have continued to put on the stainless trim, new tires, and interior parts. I put more on the car every day but as of now its all cosmetic work to do aside from a few gauges that aren't working. This car is done except for the top, most of the interior, and a few other small things like some trim and those gauges.

As stated the car comes with a new soft top and every part that isn't on the car. Its a drivable car that's a little elbow grease and about $5,000 from being a show car, not bloomington gold but a regional show level car that a person can enjoy. The $5000 being new interior (Priced Al Knoch), a few chrome pieces and paying to have the top sewn on.

The interior is half in the car and half out. A new dash pad is installed (really hard job that involved taking the windshield out) and I put in new seat belts for safety. The car comes with new carpet as well. The door panels and kick panels are original and are usable but are out of the car right now. The seats are original but the last owner had seat covers with cloth inserts made in the 70's because the vinyl made him sweat. If you redo the door panels, seat covers, and kick panels the interior would look really good.

Some of you may really care about numbers. In 1959 GM did not stamp vin numbers on the engine blocks so I priced the car as a non-original motor car because I think its an over the counter replacement block from the 60's. I just don't know for sure but it is a 283 with all the original parts on it. The intake, carb, and heads are all correct so if it isn't the correct date coded block one can be found if numbers are important to you.

Basis for Pricing

I wanted to lay this out so no one shows up wanting the car for a price we can't agree on. I don't want anyone to waste anyone's time. These cars are not common anymore because of low production and many not surviving 58 years. A basket case car will sell in the $30k's where a driver with rough paint and interior will sell in the $40k's. A finished car goes for around $60k or more depending on a whole bunch of variables. My car is much nicer than the rough drivers in the $40k's but its not a $50k-$60k car yet because of the interior and needing some cosmetic assembly. If you bought a rough driver car for $40k and painted it you are over my price and over the finished car prices when its all done. My asking price is $45,000. I chose that because its midlevel of the prices for driver cars but a much better car than most on the market that aren't finished cars yet. You could buy a driver car and do an engine rebuild, paint, and frame off and you are way over $45,000. If I keep the car until spring I can finish assembly of the trim and interior and sell at the right time of year which will get me a better price but if I can sell now I will.

Edit: I looked on Hagerty evaluation tool. This car is a solid #3 and could be brought to a #2 car easily. Hagerty lists a #3 car with 4 speed and wonderbar at $46,360.

I would still classify this as a project but its a project a guy can drive and enjoy while tinkering on a piece here and there. Anything that isn't on the car will come with it and thats down to a few interior parts and a few trim pieces.

Please PM me if you have any questions or if you would like to come see the car.

Pictures are a few months old so some trim and interior assembly has been done since they were taken. The correct air cleaner is off in the pictures but is on the car. The engine bay is also kinda dirty in the pictures but cleans up nice. Its dirty in that photo because the car came to the widows home and sat for a few years in her garage before I got it. Its raining all week but I will take new pictures when I can get the car outside.

Last edited by Root2812; 08-30-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:22 PM
0Corvettes by George
Former Vendor

Received 152 Likes on 101 Posts

Nice car.
Did you post a phone number.
Please call me,
George
210-748-4693
Old 08-29-2017, 05:22 PM
Root2812
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1960fi
Nice car.
Did you post a phone number.
Please call me,
George
210-748-4693
i will call you. I didn't post a number because I'd rather share it in private message. Do you have a time you want me to call?
Old 08-29-2017, 08:13 PM
kryan5732
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is my dream car brother. And that color!!!
I have a '66 but would love to own that wonderful car. I'm sure it will go to a good place!!!
Old 08-29-2017, 09:46 PM
Root2812
Instructor

I've called and left voicemails for two interested parties. If you want to contact me please use the Private Message. I don't want to post my phone number publically. Thanks for the interest so far.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:07 PM
Root2812
Instructor

I've spoken to 3 interested parties and one question keeps popping up. Yes I have a clean and clear Minnesota title in my name, no loans or joint ownerships.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:35 PM
shot410ga
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That was my first Corvette, same color. I paid $1500 for it in 1964. Nice
Old 08-31-2017, 08:42 PM
Root2812
Instructor

Attached are some pictures from today and pictures of all the parts laid out on the work bench. I forgot to put the new top on the bench for the pictures. The bubble wrapped part is a new passenger side glass because the one in the car is cracked. All the bags are either small parts , sets like door handles, or bolt kits from corvette central.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:33 AM
Jaguarmaven
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I too paid $1500 for my 60 in 1970. 3 sp, 2 tops, orig wheel covers.
Sold in 1975 for $825.00. Duh
Old 09-01-2017, 01:27 PM
Root2812
Instructor

Sale Pending to a forum member. Thank you to all that called and viewed the thread.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:56 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Sorry you had to sell it, Root. I was 'rooting' for you from the beginning of your journey. Solid car, and very fairly priced. Good luck with your future plans!
Jeff
Old 09-17-2017, 11:53 AM
Soside
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Available

is this car still available?
Old 09-17-2017, 09:40 PM
Root2812
Instructor

Originally Posted by Soside
is this car still available?
No it's not. I accepted an offer and recieved a deposit so sale is currently pending.

Get notified of new replies

To 1959 4-speed C1 for sale in Minnesota $45k

Quick Reply: FS: 1959 4-speed C1 for sale in Minnesota $45k