Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

Find 194377S121363

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 07:51 AM
67Couperman
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackbirdZ07
Unfortunately the best advice is probably to forget about this one and start the search for another one. You did pretty much everything right: you left a substantial deposit and you got the deal in writing. In hindsight, you should have picked the car up a lot faster. But I don't fault you for that because nobody really expects a seller to sell the car to someone else with a deposit and a written agreement. However, some people are just not honorable. Again, good luck.
Thank you very much Blackbird. You know, I play a little golf and watch a little golf. When the touring pros are playing "slow" or slower than expected they are "put on the clock" it's a warning that they need to pick up the pace, or they'll be penalized a stroke. I was never notified about "slow play" aka slow pick up of the auto or given any warning that I was called to "immediate action" verbally or in writing. Time was never a stipulation, until the Seller got a better offer and returned my deposit. The Seller took it upon himself to make it an issue to weasel out of our agreement without notifying me first aka putting me on the clock. Forgetting about it and moving on is prudent advise, but I can't help realizing I got douched big time. I had looked for that specifically equipped car for a longtime. I will find that car, whether I can acquire it, once found, who knows? 67Couperman Looking for 194377S121363
Old 03-30-2018, 09:38 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by 67Couperman
Pat, in your scenario what did you do? Did you go after the Seller via a lawsuit? Messy, time consuming and I'm not interested in a monetary judgement, if successful, I'm just interested in acquiring the car. Thank you Pat. 67 Couperman Looking for 194377S121363
No, unfortunately this was probably at least 25 years ago. I really didn't know what to do at the time, so I just concentrated on getting my cash deposit back.

Knowing what I know now, I would definitely speak with a competent attorney and find out what my options would be.

I'm to the point now that I would force litigation with the piece of garbage seller.

Even if I didn't get much out of it, it would give me the satisfaction of forcing the azz hat to face a Judge for his chicken chit sales practices.

It may be possible to file in small claims to seek recovery of "potential profits" loss. Especially if you have documentation of the seller acknowledging the sale, accepting your deposit, and congratulating you on your new acquisition of the car.

Remember...the one with the factual documents such as phone records, dates, written statements, and clear evidence that he agreed to he sale would most certainly prevail.

Important to keep emotions out of the process. Even so, it's more than likely the seller will not be able to keep emotions out of the courtroom, and that never goes well. LOL! Most all Judges frown upon that activity.

Pat
Old 03-30-2018, 12:15 PM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackbirdZ07
Unfortunately the best advice is probably to forget about this one and start the search for another one. You did pretty much everything right: you left a substantial deposit and you got the deal in writing. In hindsight, you should have picked the car up a lot faster. But I don't fault you for that because nobody really expects a seller to sell the car to someone else with a deposit and a written agreement. However, some people are just not honorable. Again, good luck.

I have to agree. It sounds like you got your deposit back so you are financially whole and it would be expensive and time consuming to initiate legal action for a contract breach. And to what conclusion? It would be hard to prove real financial damage to you with the returned deposit. I would hope the car was not so dear to you that another similar one wouldn't work for you. A lot of anxiety and disappointment, but at this stage of our lives, I personally would just move on. Good luck on getting a 67. --Bob
Old 03-30-2018, 02:32 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by 67Couperman
No worries dklumpp, that's not a rude question. I did "buy" the car I gave a $4,400 deposit, got a written, in the Seller's handwriting, Bill of Sale and a copy of the vehicle registration sent to me by Seller and signed by the Owner. No timetable was established in closing the sale (paying balance owed of 25K and picking up the vehicle). Time only became "of the essence" when the Seller notified me the property where the car was garaged was "soon going to closing" and he had to "move the car" and that it was no longer available for sale and he was returning my deposit. This all happened through an email dated 03/06/18. Prior to that, I had not heard from the Seller since 02/05/18 through another email. He went on to say, since the car was no longer available, I'd have to look elsewhere for a corvette and happy hunting!
The car was gone, sold to someone else, prior t me being notified about any of this on 03/06/18 by the "dishonorable" Seller.

If anything dklumpp that's what most people would consider "rude." Hey, I'm just looking for that car 194377S121363 67Couperman
What date did you buy the car? I ask because of this statement.

"Time only became "of the essence" when the Seller notified me the property where the car was garaged was "soon going to closing" and he had to "move the car" and that it was no longer available for sale and he was returning my deposit. This all happened through an email dated 03/06/18. Prior to that, I had not heard from the Seller since 02/05/18 through another email."

I am with you. You agreed on a selling price with the seller. You gave him a good sized deposit. The seller gave you a bill of sale. Balance do upon pickup. Done deal until it is not.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:20 PM
Patrick67
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe this one might help.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nnecticut.html
Old 04-01-2018, 04:42 PM
67Couperman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Patrick's '57
Great story Patrick. You're outside of Hagerstown and the car was in Annandale .... keep you eyes peeled 194377S121363 maybe lightning strikes twice. I'm trying to get help using the vin number whether I'll be successful and when, who knows? Like I said in the beginning "haystack territory." Thanks for all the advise and suggestions. Maybe it wasn't so much that car, but the fact it was a 327/300, 4 speed, void of any and all power options including AC, needing paint badly and was all there from day one; oh and it was reasonably priced too. Pretty much exactly what I'd been looking for.
67 Couperman
Old 04-10-2018, 03:01 PM
67Couperman
Intermediate

Any ideas how I'd find this car by using some sort of online application to track down car using the Vin # 194377S121363?
Old 04-12-2018, 12:11 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Started another thread on this today.
The following users liked this post:
67Couperman (04-12-2018)

Quick Reply: Find 194377S121363