C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

knock off spinners stuck

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 08:51 AM
ThomC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear that they finally came loose. I've been reading this post with interest as I am about to install KOs for the first time. Good advice about the anti-sieze - so it should go on the threads and the shoulder where the spinner contacts the rim? My installation instructions say to tighten the spinner with the wheel in the air (in bold font and all caps - so I figured they were serious). What is the best method for tightening? I have the lead hammer that came with the wheels - and I also picked up a 4# dead blow hammer from Harbor Freight (on the advice of other forum members).

Thanks,
Thom
Old 03-10-2005, 09:33 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I do tighten them (my initial blows, not my "and take THAT too" blows) in the air, I just don't get them started on the loosing cycle in the air (I would say this rather similar to my standard practice for changing regular wheels - get the lug nuts initially loosened while wheel is on the ground, and get the lug nuts initially tightened, but not my final twist, while in the air.)

as for anti-seize, my threads are not ever rusty, perahps a slight dab on them before spinner instertion keeps em neat - the mating surface on the spinner and wheel is where I put the anti-seize, actually HELPS the spinner get fully twisted down.

just me, others may have different thoughts.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:37 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomC
Glad to hear that they finally came loose. I've been reading this post with interest as I am about to install KOs for the first time. Good advice about the anti-sieze - so it should go on the threads and the shoulder where the spinner contacts the rim? My installation instructions say to tighten the spinner with the wheel in the air (in bold font and all caps - so I figured they were serious). What is the best method for tightening? I have the lead hammer that came with the wheels - and I also picked up a 4# dead blow hammer from Harbor Freight (on the advice of other forum members).

Thanks,
Thom

Thom

The reason for tightening in the air is to assure the wheel is aligned properly before final tightening on the ground. Just like ctjackster describes in his post.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:05 PM
ThomC
Advanced

Dave,
Jack,

Thank you for the info. That's what I was thinking from reading the archives on this subject (and there certainly is a lot of material regarding KOs). Looks like the most important things are: 1) follow the instructions, and 2) keep an eye on them.

It is kind of funny how many different ways folks describe "Beat the ___ out of them" (crap, bejesus, hell, poop, daylights, snot... )!

Thanks again,
Thom
Old 03-10-2005, 04:26 PM
Ol Blue
Burning Brakes

Received 707 Likes on 262 Posts

From the 1965 Corvette Shop Manual:
CAUTION: Tighten wheel locking nuts every 100 miles for the first 500 miles by striking the wings eight hard blows with the hammer provided.
Ol Blue
http://www.knology.net/~corvettes/63vett.jpg
Old 03-10-2005, 05:25 PM
JL66REDCPE
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by r quicke
Got em off,found if I hit the lead with a #4 sledge they came right off, kept it on the gound to start with and the loccking rings stayed put like they should.
Thanks Roger
Roger -- What locking rings ???????
Old 03-10-2005, 06:28 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JL66REDCPE
Roger -- What locking rings ???????

Roger is talking about the locking rings that hold the yokes in the differential.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:47 AM
kurtibm
Instructor

Originally Posted by r quicke
Got em off,found if I hit the lead with a #4 sledge they came right off, kept it on the gound to start with and the loccking rings stayed put like they should.
Thanks Roger
Kinda adds fuel to the addage... if at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer!

Quick Reply: knock off spinners stuck