C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Corvette Central, Corvette America, Ecklers, Etc.?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 03:28 AM
Cruz59
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

From Denmark, I dealt with Paragon, CorvetteCentral, Ecklers and Zip.

Most of what I buy is from Paragon, as they have the lowest prices due to their frequent buyer policy.
They have nearly every part, and they are quick to ship, and very quick to re-ship, when I got a wrong part.

CC is most of the times more expensive than Paragon, but they do have a few other parts than Paragon that I've needed.
No problems so far.

Ecklers helped out with a very special shipment for me to Denmark . But you need to know what you need, they're not C1 experts...
They do not have so many C1 parts as Paragon,CC and Zip.

Zip helped out with a small clip set, that was on backorder everywhere else. Quick shipping and knowledgeable people

Based on the feedback here, I'll also be checking out LICS and Corvette America also... Thanks!
Old 04-27-2005, 11:07 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

[QUOTE=bacfire67No kidding! I called the 800 to ask a question a while back and it was not a pleasant experience. In the case of Doc Rebuild, dealing with the same people is not always a good thing. His wife is nice enough, but the "Doc" himself can be a bear with a sore foot, to put it mildly.[/QUOTE]

The 800 number is the order number, not the tech question or information number; call the other number (as it states clearly in the catalog) if you need tech information and you'll get good answers from extremely knowledgeable people. Simple system, works great - just follow the directions.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:26 AM
lunatic
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mid America

I had excellent luck with the old Mid America, in fact the owner solved a problem with a Borla system personally. But recently I don't know whats hapened to them I stopped getting Vette cat. and started getting Porsh cat. and finally had to call to get back on their list. Just got the full cat - very skimpy, not what it used to be. Now I use Ecklers.

Lunatic
Old 04-27-2005, 11:57 AM
stepinwolf
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Got the same feeling

Originally Posted by bacfire67
"Doc Rebuild has a nice selection and their catalog has the best drawings around. They are also a family style company so you also deal with the same people, which is nice. Just never call on their 800 number unless you’re going to order. "
-----------------------

No kidding! I called the 800 to ask a question a while back and it was not a pleasant experience. In the case of Doc Rebuild, dealing with the same people is not always a good thing. His wife is nice enough, but the "Doc" himself can be a bear with a sore foot, to put it mildly.

After a face-to-face encounter in Knoxville last month, I've finally (after 15 years) decided he doesn't want any more of my money. Besides, the endless display of bitterness towards the rest of the repro industry gets old. You won the court case. Now get over it!
I'm sticking with Volunteer and Rik's. Nice folks all.

I got the same impression about the " not needed my money thing " when I spoke to them at Carlisle, so I have decided to make my parts contributions elswhere. I think they forgot about the proper servicing of customers, or else he's been in this business for too long.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:27 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

I have used LICS for most of my restoration project, Corvette American second (almost overnight delivery..great), Paragon for the dated NCRS parts (good but expensive), Dr. Rebuild for the little parts that are hard to get (they have been civil to me, but abrupt), ZIP I used for a while, but noticed some parts were really not up to par, but overall very good experience) and finally Corvette Central, some times it just takes a long time to get the part, their shipping department could use some help.

I have used Piper's, Michigan Corvette, and couple of other lesser known shops, simply because I like using AMEX (air miles).

Overall, I have not had any problems except with CHICAGO CORVETTE...STAY AWAY....this guy sells on the ebay and is a CROOK. I bought one piece from him and still have never received it after many emails, even sending him a picture of the cashed check (scanned it) with his own signature....

LICS in my book is about the best for 63-67 and some have said they have been rude, well to me they have been very business like, and its more of the Long Island culture then rude...they are VERY GOOD in what they do, one of the best catalogs on the market, and prompt delivery....I have no issues but to see they will continue getting my business...they are VERY GOOD....
Old 04-27-2005, 01:30 PM
Solid327
Racer

Originally Posted by bacfire67
No kidding! I called the 800 to ask a question a while back and it was not a pleasant experience. In the case of Doc Rebuild, dealing with the same people is not always a good thing. His wife is nice enough, but the "Doc" himself can be a bear with a sore foot, to put it mildly.

After a face-to-face encounter in Knoxville last month, I've finally (after 15 years) decided he doesn't want any more of my money. Besides, the endless display of bitterness towards the rest of the repro industry gets old. You won the court case. Now get over it!

I'm sticking with Volunteer and Rik's. Nice folks all.
Perhaps Mr. Coenen (Dr. Rebuild) is unaware of the decline in toll free phone rates.

Years ago, an 800 number was a valuable service you could provide your customers so they wouldn't have to pay long distance tolls when placing an order. Back then toll rates were 30-40 cents per minute, or more, during business hours. Long distance rates are so cheap today that no one ever calls the toll free line at our business. Unless you are still paying ATT standard long distance rates, why even use a toll free number?

I confess I have never done business with Dr. Rebuild but I'm going to give them a call and order a new catalog. During my restoration project, I've learned there is no one-stop shop for everything needed and I've become aware that Dr. Rebuild has things the others don't. I have read of his suit with Zip, which you are right he won, and I can understand why he continues to sound off against them, I would too, if the situation were reversed. They stole his work. I don't know which company is larger in terms of retail sales, or products actually manufactured. Dr. Rebuild has a smaller company image than ZIP's glossy image and catalog but I like the fact that he's been around longer than most and has worked hard to make accurate, quality, repro parts.

Originally Posted by LouieM
I have noticed that they're ALL in it for the money. The instant one vendor raises prices, all the others do too. It would nice of one of the filthy rich owners permanently lowered prices 5% and showed their appreciation for our business that way. Yeah, that'll happen soon...
Vendors raise prices when their suppliers raise prices. That's why you'll notice when the price goes up at one, it usually goes up at the other. You could save yourself some money by establishing a loyal business relationship with your favorite vendor. I get a nice discount with Paragon and I'm happy with their service. I also do some business with CC and others when Paragon is too high or they don't have what I need. You could also go direct to the supplier if you know where to go but many won't sell less than their vendors anyway.

Last edited by Solid327; 04-27-2005 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:18 PM
Jerry Chabino
Racer

Paragon and Corvette central
Old 04-27-2005, 05:34 PM
studiog
Advanced

Here is my experience: I'm restoring a 61... nearing completion. I have found Paragon to be the very best to work with. They have a good discount program (this can really add up to allot of savings on a restoration) that is easy to get into and they don't pull the plug on you if you go several months without an order like Corvette Central did to me. Don't get me wrong, I do like Corvette Central as my backup. Dr Rebuild seems to have an axe to grind with every other person they deal with so I stay away, it's tough enough sorting through orders with someone who is helpful, never mind someone who has a chip on their shoulder. Paragon has also caught several order errors I have made and were nice enough to call and question whether it was correct. Mary Joe - (Corvette Girl) in my experience is very over priced comparing apples to apples but they do have some hard to find parts.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:00 PM
RMBLROAR
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
I stick with suppliers that KNOW C2 Corvettes better than they know jewelry, T-shirts, jackets, and carbon fiber ashtray covers. I use Paragon, Corvette Central, Doc Rebuild, LICS, and other specialty suppliers. The other ones with the big, thick glossy catalogs really don't know much about Corvettes.
with Johnz except for Corvette Central. Just about everytme I tried to order something from them, the item I needed was back ordered. I did get some tings for my C3 from them and it was pretty good quality but it was the let down of the term "back order" that turned me off. I quit going to everyone else and just go with Paragon and LICS. Both suppliers have always delivered

Frank
Old 04-29-2005, 08:50 PM
studiog
Advanced

Originally Posted by RMBLROAR
with Johnz except for Corvette Central. Just about everytme I tried to order something from them, the item I needed was back ordered. I did get some tings for my C3 from them and it was pretty good quality but it was the let down of the term "back order" that turned me off. I quit going to everyone else and just go with Paragon and LICS. Both suppliers have always delivered

Frank
The backorder problem is a good point. Seems as though every order I place lately 25% of it is on backorder. I know allot of these parts are made by a single vendor and if one place doesn't have it the others may not either. Very frustrating but at least they have them eventually. Not so with many other vintage car parts.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:34 PM
bacfire67
Intermediate

[QUOTE=JohnZ]
Originally Posted by bacfire67No kidding! I called the 800 to ask a question a while back and it was not a pleasant experience. In the case of Doc Rebuild, dealing with the same people is not always a good thing. His wife is nice enough, but the "Doc" himself can be a bear with a sore foot, to put it mildly.[/QUOTE

The 800 number is the order number, not the tech question or information number; call the other number (as it states clearly in the catalog) if you need tech information and you'll get good answers from extremely knowledgeable people. Simple system, works great - just follow the directions.

Whatever. I called the 800# because I had it in my cell phone from all the other times I've ordered from them. I was away from home and didn't have a catalog in my pocket. I asked a question about packaging a return that could have been answered in 15 seconds; about the time it took them to be rude and smart-a$$ed and lose my business forever. If one of my sales staff treated a customer like that they would be gone, and they know it.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:34 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BAckfire67....this thread is not about vendor bashing....refrain from posting negative comments regarding any and all vendors ....if you have a grudge against Doc Rebuild, take it up with The Doc....
Old 05-02-2005, 10:54 PM
bacfire67
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GDaina
BAckfire67....this thread is not about vendor bashing....refrain from posting negative comments regarding any and all vendors ....if you have a grudge against Doc Rebuild, take it up with The Doc....

I merely related my recent experiences; vaguely at first, then more specifically after JohnZ's comments. If that is bashing, I'm guilty. This thread contains many comments about vendors both positive and negative, as did my posts.

I haven't seen it on the board, but the truthfulness of my story was challenged by Doc Rebuild in an email to the moderator. He claims I have not been a customer of 15 years, that he did not talk to me on the phone regarding a return, and that I fabricated a claim of a "15-year ordeal" of doing business with him. If I gave that impression, it was unintentional.

As anyone who has read my very few posts to the forum would know (and no, I don't expect anyone to remember that kind of stuff), I've been out of the hobby for over 12 years. I did purchase parts from Doc Rebuild 15-20 years ago and was pleased with their service at that time. It is the more recent experiences with which I've been unhappy. I spoke to someone on the phone regarding returns and felt I was treated rudely because I unwittingly used their 800#. I could not resolve the issue with that phone call (they insisted I call another number), but I did return the handful of small parts at the Knoxville Expo. I spoke with "The Doc" there and was unhappy with his attitude and choice of words when I asked him about the return. He did agree to accept the return and I came back later with the parts. At that time I dealt with a woman (who for some reason I thought was his wife) and she was friendly and helpful in exchanging the items.

I never claimed that I was wronged financially by Doc Rebuild; only that, as a customer, I was not happy with his attitude and demeanor. I stand by that claim. I have no intention of trying to dig up receipts to show that I bought parts from him over a decade ago as he challenged me to do and since I typically don't record my day-to-day conversations, I cannot "prove" anything pertaining to my conversations with him and his staff. I do apologize to everyone if I have misused the forum. Since I don't mean to cause problems and certainly don't need the stress of dealing with this kind of stuff, my penance will be self-exile. Thanks, guys. I learned a lot from some of you.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:16 AM
67tripwr
Team Owner

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Who do you think I use????

I had good luck with them, but mostly Paragon, and Ecklers, and Vette Brakes for suspension needs.

Quick Reply: Corvette Central, Corvette America, Ecklers, Etc.?