C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Corvette Central, Corvette America, Ecklers, Etc.?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 09:54 AM
djmrlsm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette Central, Corvette America, Ecklers, Etc.?

If you were to use one supplier whenever possible any opinions as to who and why? Thanks

David
Old 04-25-2005, 10:13 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

I stick with suppliers that KNOW C2 Corvettes better than they know jewelry, T-shirts, jackets, and carbon fiber ashtray covers. I use Paragon, Corvette Central, Doc Rebuild, LICS, and other specialty suppliers. The other ones with the big, thick glossy catalogs really don't know much about Corvettes.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:25 AM
my58
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I am pretty sure the answers you will get vary considerably. It seems based on ability and model experiences vary.

In my case Corvette Central has a good selection of parts for my C1, but either my personality or maybe my lack of knowledge bothers them and they seem to treat me like crap.

Ecklers has been hit and miss for me big and impersonal.

Doc Rebuild has a nice selection and their catalog has the best drawings around. They are also a family style company so you also deal with the same people, which is nice. Just never call on their 800 number unless you’re going to order.

I find Vettegal.com Mary Jo Rohner is terrific with the stuff she carries.

Basically I am saying at least for me there is not one main supplier but many smaller ones. I find the small shops like Dewitts for radiators, Mary Jo, Doc Rebuild and others have lots of knowledge and cares about you the customer.

Best of luck.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:33 AM
66427-450
Safety Car

Received 436 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
I stick with suppliers that KNOW C2 Corvettes better than they know jewelry, T-shirts, jackets........
agree, i seem to have good luck with Corvette Central and Paragon.... (CC is always my first choice, cuz they're just 5 minutes away from me)
Old 04-25-2005, 12:30 PM
Classicvette63
Burning Brakes

I use Corvette America since they are only about an hour and a half away. I needed some parts for the doors and window channels on my '63 but wasn't exactly sure what I needed. I took the old stuff up, they looked it over and showed me exactly what I needed.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:32 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

I use Eckers only because they're 30 minutes away. LIC is always the fall back but I also try the both Virginia Vettes and Volunteer Vettes, nice people to work with.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:33 PM
my58
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is the perfect example of what I was talking about vendors that care,

I called Mary Jo for some parts 9:30 today – She new the parts by name, she new she had them in stock and she will ship today.

How can you not Love service like that.

Old 04-25-2005, 01:37 PM
dknowles67
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've found that if you want the "right" part, in an NCRS way, Long Island Corvette (LIC) is the way to go (63-67 only). If they don't have it, they'll tell you so.
If it's a repro that won't fool the judges, they'll tell you. I like Corvette Central too. They have a good catalog with lots of parts, and competitive prices.
I live near 65air_coupe, just 30 minutes from Ecklers, but hardly buy anything there.
What I save on shipping and handling, I usually lose in sales tax. If they have it, and I can't wait, and I know it's the right part, I'll go there.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:37 PM
Donn 66
Pro

CI3 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In III Veteran

I use Corvette central the most and Paragon a lot too but for really hard to find parts the best has been LICS
Old 04-25-2005, 07:04 PM
stepinwolf
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Wise words

I stick with suppliers that KNOW C2 Corvettes better than they know jewelry, T-shirts, jackets, and carbon fiber ashtray covers. I use Paragon, Corvette Central, Doc Rebuild, LICS, and other specialty suppliers. The other ones with the big, thick glossy catalogs really don't know much about Corvettes.

I don't feel comfortable, nor do I want to sound like a " yes man ", but these recommendations from JohnZ, should be followed to the letter.

Also in reference to the last statement " they really don't know much about Corvettes " I would be tempted to ad, " and they don't care about them either , because they are in it strictly for the money "

Bob
Old 04-25-2005, 07:24 PM
panchop
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i mailorder i usually use corvette central. i try to use CnV when i can. i know there reputuation for car sales but there parts prices are fine and i just like to use local shops. internet and mailorder is fine but the day thats all thats left will be a sad one.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:33 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

I have been using Corvette America and have been completly satisfied. I always call. They check stock before the order is complete and I get my stuff in two days. When I have had a question about a part they could not answer, the rep went to the warehouse, got the part in his hands and we sorted out what I wanted to know. Good customer service.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:50 PM
revupL78
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Paragon.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:51 PM
gary6696
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Contributor '03 & '04

I'm down to Paragon and Volvette. Had problems with the rest of them.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:00 PM
djclause
Instructor

I use Zip Products, they are 2 hours from me and have most everything in stock so I get it the next day...
Old 04-25-2005, 11:35 PM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

NOT a "Corvette-only" parts place, but I have to relay my most recent experience with SUMMIT: my mechanic called me at noon on a Thursday, said I needed a new 6A MSD "hot box". I called SUMMIT at 1:30, ordered the part (#6200) and told them to ship "regular" (UPS) directly to the garage.
My mechanic called me NEXT day (Friday) 11a.m. & said that the '62 was ready to "Rock & Roll"
Cruz
Old 04-26-2005, 01:09 AM
guycummins
Instructor

I'm surprised I only see Zip in here once. They have done well for me. Long Island is the best in my opinion but I'm on the west coast always seem to miss them. The web site is a little weak.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Central, Corvette America, Ecklers, Etc.?

Old 04-26-2005, 11:48 PM
bacfire67
Intermediate

"Doc Rebuild has a nice selection and their catalog has the best drawings around. They are also a family style company so you also deal with the same people, which is nice. Just never call on their 800 number unless you’re going to order. "
-----------------------

No kidding! I called the 800 to ask a question a while back and it was not a pleasant experience. In the case of Doc Rebuild, dealing with the same people is not always a good thing. His wife is nice enough, but the "Doc" himself can be a bear with a sore foot, to put it mildly.

After a face-to-face encounter in Knoxville last month, I've finally (after 15 years) decided he doesn't want any more of my money. Besides, the endless display of bitterness towards the rest of the repro industry gets old. You won the court case. Now get over it!

I'm sticking with Volunteer and Rik's. Nice folks all.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:09 AM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,041 Likes on 1,253 Posts

..........except for LICS, where they have a definite attitude problem.

I have noticed that they're ALL in it for the money. The instant one vendor raises prices, all the others do too. It would nice of one of the filthy rich owners permanently lowered prices 5% and showed their appreciation for our business that way. Yeah, that'll happen soon...
Old 04-27-2005, 01:52 AM
SPLITRAY
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Van Steel, Bair's...

I've done most of my stuff through Van Steel and Bair's at this point as I haven't move UP the car yet. Had some issues with brake lines etc. but I think I picked the right place as they have done good by me. I just try not to forget that the vendors are dealing with some of us who are not too bright!

Van Steel is always ready at the phone (Dan or Art), and my e-mails are always answered. There will always be issues with vendors who send incorrect parts because they may get the wrong ones from their suppliers to begin with. Mistakes don't make a company bad to deal with.

It's how it is dealt with that gains my trust. As long as there is some one to actually talk too you can get it fixed. If my car isn't ready on Saturday to burn off the rubber like I wanted too, So what, I'll have to wait til next Saturday.

Life's too short, enjoy the process!

Quick Reply: Corvette Central, Corvette America, Ecklers, Etc.?