C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Windshield wiper cable installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2001, 07:01 PM
Torchred62
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Windshield wiper cable installation

I took out the original wiper cables under the dash of my 1962 and when I tried to re-install them (after a long time period I may add) I had forgotten how they went around the pulley on the center section for the windshield wiper motor. I looked in the white service manual and it doesn't really cover this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :confused:
Old 08-07-2001, 07:48 PM
58Mike
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: Windshield wiper cable installation (Torchred62)

There's been a discussion about wiper transmissions on the ncrs.org board over the last month or so. There are several threads all started by Ed Jennings. One trick to know is that to tighten them, you push in on the top post of a transmission which disengages part of the pulley. If you don't already know about that, then you should ckeck out Ed's adventures. As usual, the most simple seeming jobs turn out to be big cans of worms!

I have a hand drawn diagram I can fax or mail you. I don't have a scanner so I can't e-mail it. E-mail your info if you want it.

- Mike
Old 08-07-2001, 10:52 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,126 Likes on 553 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

There are some articles in the Restorer magazine. One of them has a diagram of the cable routing. I have them on the CD, if you need it I will send them to you.
Old 08-08-2001, 06:01 AM
59er
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Boy O Boy those *#@%$ wiper cables. One of mine was broken when I bought my car and I replaced it with the inside of a bicycle brake cable but had to join it to one half of the original, then the other half broke so I pulled the transmission and fitted a full new cable (bicycle cable again as getting the rebuilt transmission and cables as sold by the various vendors is quite a hassle from over here in Aus,) but couldn't get the length right. I broke it about three more times. I tried the pushing the transmission in method but I couldn't push it in and then checked all my litrature but I think that it only applies to 53-57 but I could be wrong. If you get the hookup wrong then one wiper goes the wrong way so I suggest that you check the direction is right without the wiper arms fitted or you will be trying to wipe the cowl paint off instead of the water on the windshield.

In the end I have joined the cable in the middle with a small stainless steel turnbuckle which works a treat but You do have to be carefull that the turnbuckle doesn't rub on any wiring etc,.

I know that I havn't been much help but I just had to share my experiences as few people appreciate what a bent person the design engineer of those wipers must have been.

Good luck.
Mark. :smash:

[Modified by 59er, 4:03 AM 8/8/2001]
Old 08-08-2001, 08:52 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a gear-drive windshield wiper kit available for 55-57 Chevy's. I don't know if it fits the C-1, but it may be worth looking into ...
Old 08-08-2001, 11:07 AM
Curtis
Racer

Default Re: Windshield wiper cable installation

Corvette Central has a conversion if you really want that. I haven't replaced my cables, but would imagine I could look under there and see if I can be of some help.

Enjoy,
Curt
Old 08-08-2001, 12:17 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: Windshield wiper cable installation (Curtis)

I can't be of any direct help other than to say that I believe all 53-62 wiper transmissions "disengage" by pushing on the outer splined fitting where the wiper slips on. I would suggest a trial and error method. See how the motor turns....pull the cables manually and see how the wiper sweeps, then install the cables. As others have said, there have been a number of articles in the NCRS Corvette Restorer magazine. They're pretty foolproof once they're installed. Hope this helps somewhat. Is there anything in the AIM? Chuck
Old 08-10-2001, 08:24 AM
Torchred62
Instructor

Default Re: Windshield wiper cable installation (58Mike)

Thanks everybody for the replies, and sorry I took so long to answer any of the replies. I have been out on a job the past couple of days and couldn't get to my computer. I'll check out the web sites and inforamation. I love this forum, you can find anything out and everybody is so willing to help. :seeya :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield wiper cable installation

Quick Reply: Windshield wiper cable installation