C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Headlight Motors Groan when used

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 10:52 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Headlight Motors Groan when used

My '65 headlight motors groan loudly, but work. I've read in past posts that simply spraying lubricant will give them a longer life as well as a quieter one.

My question is just where do you lubricate them? Is it at the pivot point, externally? Short of taking the motors out, can this be done in their installed position? Is there a special lubricant for this or can I use good , old WD40?

Appreciate your response.

Thanks!

Jim :confused:
Old 08-10-2001, 01:29 AM
pittsaj
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Headlight Motors Groan when used (6T5RUSH)

The motor gear is most likely getting very dry..
I would take the motors out and clean and lubricate the motor gears.
While out you can check the rest of the moving parts because they are now free to move, and easy to get to.
The motors are much easier to get out than it first seems..
I was able to get them out without taking off the hood, but you need to be able to work upside down :crazy:
You will need to remove a small bracket holding the back of the motor to the radiator support and then locate and remove a small clip holding the motor to the headlight assembly. After the moter is removed you can remove the power lead...
The motor is easy to take apart and lubricate..
Check the aluminum gears for wear.. If worn, you can rotate the gear 180 degrees and you'll be good for another 35 years..

Good luck
Tony

Quick Reply: Headlight Motors Groan when used