C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1967 Steering wheel crack repair?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2001, 09:14 AM
Billy Boguski
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1967 Steering wheel crack repair?

Just noticed that I have a couple small cracks in the plastic (wood look-a-like) steering wheel. I don't want to spend hundreds and loss use of it for weeks by going to a rebuilding service. It is sort of brownish and the two cracks are only 1/32" to 1/16". Epoxy, wood putty, glue? How do I get the color right?
Thanks for your help, Billy
Old 08-17-2001, 12:24 PM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: 1967 Steering wheel crack repair? (Billy Boguski)

...i dunno...i don't think you can match it too well because it is faux woodgrain...i have a cracked wheel also and have never found anyone who can fix it to be correct :yesnod:
Old 08-17-2001, 01:35 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: 1967 Steering wheel crack repair? (Kid_Again)

I have one of those "plastic coated" Teak wheels as well... it is completely cracked all over the surface. I've always wondered about this wheel... is it an aftermarket unit, or is it GM? I covered it with one of those leather thingys... it really looks "bubba" either way.
Old 08-17-2001, 02:13 PM
wernerreis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1967 Steering wheel crack repair? (Tom454)

this is the only time ever that i will have a different opinion than tom, who has always been most knowleable and helpful. my interior and dash are black, the car is screaming red-orange. why would anyone use a woodgrain brown wheel with this combo? i covered the original wood wheel with cool loooking and comfortable leather and have never been happier, and it feels better on the hands. more control, softer and less slippery. also, it just has a stronger and more powerful look than the thinner wood wheel. IMHO :cheers:
Old 08-17-2001, 06:29 PM
Viking427
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Seamfill" (or something close to that name) works pretty good. Its designed as plastic laminate countertop filler. walnut color (#913 or #931...forgot which one) is a close match on color. However, during cold months the wheel plastic will shrink away from the filler and expose the hairline cracks (good thing theres no winter carlisle) :lol:
Garys wheel restoration (Carlisle, Pa) does decent work too. He'll probably be at "Corvette Carlisle" next week.
Old 08-17-2001, 11:14 PM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

same situation , a crack on my 1966 wheel, as its to thin for me just sent for a leather padded wheel from Grant, $99.99 From Mid America.

Get notified of new replies

To 1967 Steering wheel crack repair?

Quick Reply: 1967 Steering wheel crack repair?