C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 Speedometer Died

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 03:57 PM
G-Money
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C1 Speedometer Died

Had the '58 out for a drive on Sunday. Just as the odometer was about to turn 110,000 miles (i.e., it read 09999.9), the odometer stopped working, and the speedo needle now flops around like a piece of wet linguini.

Unlike most of you, I'm not much of a wrench twister. My questions are:

How difficult is it to get the speedo cluster out of there?

Is this the type of job that will need to be farmed out to a specialty shop that handles vintage Vette gauges - or is it something that I or my mechanic can handle?

Thanks in advance,

Gary
Old 08-21-2001, 05:36 PM
Curtis
Racer

Default Re: C1 Speedometer Died (G-Money)

"How difficult is it to get the speedo cluster out of there?"

It is not the easiest of jobs, but anyone can do it. The whole cluster must be taken out. All wiring and so on. All the gauges will come out together. The speedometer comes out from the back of the cluster so there is no way around this. :smash:

Once you have the cluster out you can take the speedometer out easily. You do not need to send the odometer out to a specialty shop. All you need to do is find a mechanic around the does speedometers and such. That is not just any mechanic. They need a callibrater. I found one very close to me. If you don't live in a populated area you may have to send it out. Keeping in mind you want it fixed right the first time because you don't want to have to take it out agalin. :bb

Before you go and do all that you may want to see if the cable is bad. If that is the case you can do that without taking anything apart. Very easy.

Hope this helps,
Curt

Old 08-21-2001, 06:15 PM
LabRat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: C1 Speedometer Died (G-Money)

I recently had the same problem at 49999.9 I disconected the cable so as not to further the damage as the problem is in the odometer part only. It will be going to Clocks by Roger for a refurbish later this year when the snow is on the ground. He can also convert your tach. to electronic control instead of cable which I recommend. I'm also going to convert my amp gauge to a voltmeter which looks original at this time which will reduce the posibility of a having a big smoke escape from my wires under the dash. I've found that once the smoke gets out of the wires they're pretty worthless. :D Save the Wave
Old 08-21-2001, 07:24 PM
C1 CMEGO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Definitly check the cable first !

That is an easy fix then go to the hassle of pulling the cluster
I did mine in about 4 hours start to finish carefuly labeling each wire as it came off
Put in a net cable & housing just to be sure I didn't have a damaged housing
JJ
Old 08-21-2001, 09:20 PM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

Default Re: C1 Speedometer Died (LabRat)

LabRat; You got that right - about the wires that leak smoke that is - but It's them British cars that are notorious for Leaking smoke from their wiring! :yesnod:
Old 08-22-2001, 12:02 PM
G-Money
Heel & Toe

Default Re: C1 Speedometer Died

Thanks for the replies. I'll start with the cable and go from there.

Get notified of new replies

To C1 Speedometer Died

Quick Reply: C1 Speedometer Died