C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Anyone here an expert on back pain?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 11:01 AM
kenEDMUNDS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

-----Sorry but Chiropractors will not usually help. A pulled muscle will only heal so fast no matter what anyone does or says. There is no such thing as "adjustment" in the real world. Having said this, try one out once or twice and see for yourself. You will not be any better long term by what he does. Some of his deep ultra sonic massage type machines can provide some pain relief however.
Wrong! Every few years when my hip goes out I hobble into the chiropractor walking sideways. Ultrasound massage and an adjustment and i walk out upright. You cannot ignore empirical evidence whether you think chiropractors are quacks or not.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:38 AM
63C2splitter
CF Senile Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

As a CF member (Aerospace Engineer by profession) I will offer some information on pain. However, I have to state some disclaimers for my own protection. (this is a joke, no offense intended to the Dr's that have responded to this thread with good advice)

1. This is not medical advice
2. I have no advice regarding this CF member's condition
3. This information is available in many readily availble sources such as the internet, magazines, and newspapers

Getting old sucks! Many pains (not limited to the back) occur for unknown reasons. I have been to MDs and Chiropractors in the past - both provided help. The therapy I received from the Chiropractor provided relief of much of the pain, however, due to my history of injuries (back injury in Helcopter crash - 1971), I always consult an Orthopedic surgeon with any back related issues prior to follow-on therapy. Hope your back pain goes away quickly.

Dave
Old 07-08-2006, 01:23 PM
crw41
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I can laugh at that too. But, believe it or not, even if I casually advise someone about thier condition - I have established a professional relationship with that person.

Lot's of professionals have been successfully sued for things like:

- writing a presciptions for a friend (then there was a problem)
- telephone advise
- curbside consults

Unlike Corvette mechanics, there is no tolerance for any bad outcome (even if no one's at fault).

Patient's should have the right to sue. However, it's a 1 way street. Most suits are not of any merit (75%). These result in an average of $50,000 legal fees/case for a doc to defend himself. When the courts decide that you did nothing wrong, you're not only out your $50K, but you can't get that cost from the party that filed the frivilous suit.

An example would be if I sued a CF member who advised me to drive 55mph all of the time and my engine blew up. Eventually, the case would be thrown out. It would still cost the CF member $300+/hour for an attorney. Once the CF member is cleared, he is out that money he spent in legal fees.

Healthcare is in real trouble:
1. Factory closings, uninsured people - healthcare costs play a big role.
2. Very few docs or patient's are satisfied with today's system.
3. Alot of us would prefer universal healthcare to insure everyone for a basic level of care, get rid of the insurance company manipulation, stop the malpractice mess, and focus healthcare on providing care where it does the most good.

Time for a saturday drive.

Old 07-08-2006, 01:39 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 642 Likes on 360 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Mecom Racer
Okay...

I went to my wife's chiropractor. I hobbled in like an old man all crooked. They say they saw my predicament right away and massaged the area first, saying they could feel the "knot". Apparently I strained a muscle group between my spine and hip where they meet and rotate. Then she made one adjustment (crunch!) which seemed to release some pressure and put me on the table with the deep penetrating electronic heat machine for a while. I walked out of there standing straighter and felt some relief. I'm laying around now, heating and resting it. I was actually just recently able to put my shoes on and tie them myself. Boy... the things you take for granted. I think I'm on a road to recovery. Thanks for all the advice everyone. It's a great forum for anything, not just Corvettes.
I get that same thing from time to time, and when my better 1/2 can twist me up like a pretzel, and she tugs just right, CRUNCH and everything feels instantly better....she massages the area first just like your doc did.....it is a miracle how that works...but it just gets out of whack a little and needs to be snapped back.....you should be good to go now...
Old 07-08-2006, 03:34 PM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

i know your pain . i've had similar occurences for last 40 years .i choose to ignore them ,i know it really hurts, and in a week i am better . i've had fewer problems since jogging and useing weight bench [mild weight levels] .use to happen 6 or 7 times a year and now only a couple times a year . good luck p.s. if some one suggests surgery read a lot of info before doing it as it seems to be a BAD choice .
Old 07-08-2006, 04:00 PM
CJS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KenE, Like I said in my post try Chiro's for yourself, and see for yourselff! I also said Chiro's can provide some pain relief. If they work for you of course keep on going back! And I am glad they did work for you. But they can't make actual torn muscle damage Heal any faster with an "adjustment" and ultra sound!
Old 07-08-2006, 04:42 PM
sicle
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Been there

I have not read each comment to this post but here is my 2 cents worth. I have had 3 full ruptures and had very succesful surgery. All wer microdiscectomy's (simply shave off the herniated portion).

A herniation (aka rupture, slipped disc, and more) rarely repairs itself. The disc matter protrudes when there is tear in the wall of the disc...kinda like a jelly doughnut. My doctor described it like trying to put toothpaste back into the tube.

For most people, the problem is muscle related and can be helped with rest and anti-inflammatories followed by a strengthening program.

The key common denominator with herniations is they generally radiate pain and/or numbness down the extremity. The lower back effects legs and the cervical area effects arms.

The absence of the radiating pain is a good sign. I would be willing to bet that you do not have a rupture. Give it some time and you will get better. In the event that it is indeed a rupture, do not fret, you are fixable by a good surgeon and it's a very common, simple procedure. I am proof of that.

Feel free to PM me. Good luck.
L.F.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:53 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,062 Posts

My experience:

I suffered a herniated/ruptured disc at L-5 (that's the bottom one) in 1984. When a disc herniates/ruptures, it collapses and expands both outward and inward. The inward expansion puts pressure on the spinal cord and causes PAIN ! ! !

Went to the local doc-in-the-box who administered an injection of valium to stop the pain of the aggravated sciatic nerve which was his initial diagnosis. The valium shot did NOTHING ! ! !

Went back two days later after bed rest and was immediately referred to an orthepedic surgeon who placed me in Bay General Hospital in Chula Vista, CA. The orthepedic surgeon sent me for a CAT scan. Determined a herniated disc and advised me that 99 per cent of people who think they have one do not. I am in the 1 percentile in this case.

Performed the recommended stretching, twisting, pulling exercises for two weeks at doctor's orders. Nothing but more aggravation on the disc. No relief.

Went back to his office and begged for surgery to correct the condition. Was advised that L-5 is the worst possible position for a disc to go bad as the nerve bundles exit the spinal column there and travel down the legs. Although surgery is usually successful it is extremely risky and does not always relieve the pain even though the disc is successfully removed. (go figure on that one) Spent another four weeks bed rest and physical therapy. STILL NO RELIEF ! ! !

Orthopedic surgeon sent me to an anesthesiologist who did two spinal injections of anabolic steroids to block the nerve. (one at L-5 and one two weeks later at L-4) Six weeks later returned to full law enforcement duty and have been OK since. Finished out a 22 year law enforcement career in 2004. The damaged disc is still there. It is not a cure-all and it does not work for everyone. Was advised that I might need the injections one time, yearly, monthly, etc. No guarantees. I have been lucky.

A chiropractor, a witch doctor, a seance, an accupunturist, a magician can not repair a herniated disc. It is either healthy or it is not.

Rich

Quick Reply: Anyone here an expert on back pain?