C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Anyone Have Experience with a Keisler Bellhousing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 07:43 AM
Five Window
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Have Experience with a Keisler Bellhousing?

I'm ditching my Lakewood and need a housing that will fit over a 14" flywheel. They make a CNC machined unit that might be the ticket, but I wonder if any of you have used it. Where could I find a GM unit to fit?

Thanks
Old 10-17-2006, 07:57 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

There were 3 GM housings (full enclosure style) that would fit the 14in flywheel. The 444, 621 and a third one which the number escapes me now. I'll post it this evening after I get home. All 3 are totally interchangeable.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:47 AM
Harps
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 51 Posts

I'd be interested in some feedback on their bellhousing as well. I too have a Lakewood with my 4 speed now, but if I go the 5-speed route, I'll probably take a look at replacing the LW.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:08 AM
0CoVert66
Former Vendor

Default Bell Housing info from a Keisler guy

Originally Posted by Five Window
I'm ditching my Lakewood and need a housing that will fit over a 14" flywheel. They make a CNC machined unit that might be the ticket, but I wonder if any of you have used it. Where could I find a GM unit to fit?

Thanks
The Keisler 621 Bell is made to work exclusively with your 14"/168t flywheel. It will mate to any small block or big block (there is even an LS version) and will allow the use of the stock fork, linkage, boot, pivot stud, and starter. The Keisler bell housing will work with the TKO, Muncie, t10, Saginaw, Richmond or any other transmission that bolts up where a Muncie used to be.

It is constructed of titanium/aluminum alloy and is much heavier duty than an original aluminum bell without a weight penalty. Check out this link http://www.keislerauto.com/gm/transm...ellhousing.asp for a full description.

The bell comes with a steel inspection cover and hardware and is precision CNC machined to within .002" of center. They are in-stock and ready to ship.

I hope this helps with any confusion about this bell as it is an awesome product!

Last edited by Gray G. Fredrick; 10-17-2006 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:30 AM
Johns_65Vette
Burning Brakes

Depending on the direction, I go with my car (auto or manual) I may be looking at your LS version, so as to keep my stock clutch linkage, since the firewall is to weak to support a hydro setup.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:47 AM
0CoVert66
Former Vendor

Default The LS Bell Housing

With the LS version of the Keisler bell housing in place you can indeed use the LS stock clutch and flywheel combo with a mechanical linkage. The one hitch has to do with the lack of a pivot stud mount on the LS engine block. You will need to fashion a 45 degree bracket to bolt to the engine that will hold the lower bell crank pivot stud.

I believe Scoggin Dickey has a solution for this application already figured out if you do not want to fabricate something. You may also want to speak with Tray Walden at Street Shop in Alabama. He uses this combination a lot when building turn-key chassis and he has a bracket that he may be willing to part with.

Gray
Old 10-17-2006, 12:16 PM
Johns_65Vette
Burning Brakes

Thanks Gary. For me the fabrication part is the fun part Always trying to build a better mouse trap
Old 10-17-2006, 12:50 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

I noticed that they are advertising the housing as an "11in" housing???
So, I sent them an email mentioning that possibly it might be better to advertise it as a 14in housing, or, as a housing for the 14in flywheel/11in clutch.
There are many people who don't understand or are not aware of the difference between a bell housing for a 13 and 14in flywheel and a 10 1/2in and 11in clutch.
I don't know how many people have delt with the frustration of installing a 14in flywheel on their crank and then can't get the bell housing for a 13in flywheel to fit (or vice versa).
As much so, if not more so, this is a VERY common occurance for the Chevelle/Camaro guys who swap a BB for their weak SB (ie 307) and suddenly discover that the existing stock small bell housing won't fit their new 14in flywheel.
I tried to be VERY polite with my email to Keisler, but I don't feel that 11in is the best way to represent their housing (one man's opinion).
Old 10-17-2006, 01:47 PM
0CoVert66
Former Vendor

Default Your request not ignored

We understand your frustration, however we make it very clear that the bell housing is to be used with a 168t flywheel AND 11" clutch. I have dealt with thousands of customers and a few flywheel companies and we always call out flywheels in terms of tooth count. When the next round of advertisements come out I will be sure to add "14" flywheel" to the description to help alleviate confusion. In the mean time I am glad the forum is here so we can spread the word. Thanks for the input. Gray
Old 10-17-2006, 02:10 PM
OldDog58Vette
Burning Brakes

Location: Bonner Springs Kansas... pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. Hay...I know that guy!

One question I have for you guys that now are running a Lakewood. Why would you change from the safey of a Steel Lakewood to a aluminum alloy bellhousing? I know...weight...but is that it? For me if your going to PLAY with a 4,5,or 6 speed you want to have steel bellhousing over that flywheel. I have had a NEW high dollar 50lb flywheel come apart at 7500 rpm's in a 66 Chevelle. It put holes in the hood and fender, pull off the back of the block, bellhousing, trans, shifter, drive shaft, (never did find the starter) went out the back of the car. After all that... what do you think my feet would have looked like if I had a aluminum bellhousing? If you going to play.....keep that steel lakewood on your car. but that just me
Old 10-17-2006, 02:24 PM
0CoVert66
Former Vendor

Default Full Agreement!

Originally Posted by OldDog58Vette
One question I have for you guys that now are running a Lakewood. Why would you change from the safey of a Steel Lakewood to a aluminum alloy bellhousing? I know...weight...but is that it? For me if your going to PLAY with a 4,5,or 6 speed you want to have steel bellhousing over that flywheel. I have had a NEW high dollar 50lb flywheel come apart at 7500 rpm's in a 66 Chevelle. It put holes in the hood and fender, pull off the back of the block, bellhousing, trans, shifter, drive shaft, (never did find the starter) went out the back of the car. After all that... what do you think my feet would have looked like if I had a aluminum bellhousing? If you going to play.....keep that steel lakewood on your car. but that just me

We sell a lot of Lakewood products, and there is no substitute for safety. Although the Keisler bell is tough, no aluminum bell is going to stop steel flywheel shrapnel.

Billet steel flywheels are a lot safer than their traditional cast counterparts, however if you are going to the track the Lakewood is still a great idea.

There are a lot of guys running the Lakewood because they could not find a good vintage bell and had to have something between the engine and the tranny. These are the folks who have a perfect car for the Keisler 621.

Keep in mind that for owners who are occasionally going to the track, but will never spend two weekends in a row there, there is another alternative. Traditional bell housings can be fitted with a Kevlar blanket on race day only. This gives you the best of both worlds, light weight and safety at the track. I have seen these race day blankets in catalogs. Any feedback? Gray
Old 10-18-2006, 03:47 AM
OldDog58Vette
Burning Brakes

Location: Bonner Springs Kansas... pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. Hay...I know that guy!

Originally Posted by Gray G. Fredrick
..... there is another alternative. Traditional bell housings can be fitted with a Kevlar blanket on race day only. This gives you the best of both worlds, light weight and safety at the track. I have seen these race day blankets in catalogs. Any feedback? Gray

Yes.....Good Luck

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone Have Experience with a Keisler Bellhousing?

Quick Reply: Anyone Have Experience with a Keisler Bellhousing?