C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 Side Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 12:03 PM
buddyepa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Differences

I had new outside pipes installed to replace a mixed set of 2" and 2-1/2" a couple of years ago. As I understand it there is just one manufacturer of them and it is the same outfit that made them for GM back in the day. Mine are 2-1/2" on a 327 ci, and they are LOUD! I have talked to guys who had 427 ci engines that were much quieter than mine and asked them how they did that. The answer has always been that they had no idea. They had seen both quiet and loud and the hardware seemed to be the same.

If I want quiet, I drive my C6. I removed the amps and extra speakers, etc., so I can hear the music of the engine!

Old 11-21-2006, 02:03 PM
Tom E.
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default More Specific Side Pipes Info.

By popular demand, here's more specific skinny.

"IMCO"-Glass packs/brand name

Muffler guy used 2-22" IMCO glass packs, w/3.5" outside diameter, with w/2.25'' inside diameter; then fit inside each glass pack pipe a 2.25" diameter standard exhaust pipe about 4" long which were all welded together in the center (x2-same for each side).
Before he started, the car was up on a lift and he cut away enough of the old existing pipe that was coming down from the exhaust manifold(s) with a Sawzall, but left enough of the original pipe in order to attach the new pipe (and also to use it for a bending angle template for the new pipe to be bent with a pipe bending machine). We then held up all the loosely fit new pipes together (including the angle for the chrome beauty bezel) with multiple hands & support blocks to check for proper distances, angles, clearances, etc. to make sure everything fit properly while being held up temporarily on the lift with the makeshift supports, then marked each weld spot with a magic marker before taking the entire assembly back down. He then welded everything all together on the floor and after everything was welded together it was lifted back up and permanently attached to the manifold pipe and finally the old support bracket(s) reattached.
The new pipes fit with about a 1/4" clearance around the frame & aluminum covers and the sound is awesome!! !
The following users liked this post:
Corvette1967 (02-13-2018)
Old 11-22-2006, 11:52 AM
stoly
Intermediate

TOM E.
thanks for the detailed info!
By the way do you notice any performance differences as per MasterDave's post?
Stoly
Old 11-22-2006, 02:59 PM
Tom E.
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not much if any....at least not enough that I'm particularly aware of. Seems to still go pretty fast... But then again, I don't tromp on it too often. So even if it did lose a little off the line, to me the trade off was worth it. The ringing in my ears has gone!
Old 11-22-2006, 11:24 PM
stoly
Intermediate

All right, I was hoping for a response about the spirals (and it's not the first time) so I decided I'll go ahead and blow some $$ and actually try out a set of spirals; perhaps one side glass packs, the other spirals?!
I can drive in opposing circles to hear the difference!
Anyway, stay tuned...
Old 07-25-2017, 09:17 PM
reinkailua
Intermediate

Default loud side pipes

Originally Posted by Tom E.
I recently took my '65 to the local non-franchise muffler shop because although it sounded great, it was over the top deafening loud!
The shop owner welded/connected two 24" lengths of 2"(?) glass packs with about a 4" center pipe connecting them in the middle for each side. They fit inside the exhaust covers and he welded the chrome bezels back on too.
It is SOOOO much better & quieter, and the sound did not lose its character. Total cost $187.00. Find a good local muffler expert.
Did you find that you lost any power with this setup--
Thanks
Old 07-25-2017, 09:23 PM
Brucebodyman
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Call John at Sweet Thunder exhaust in Cadillac MI. He manufactures side pipes for some of the restoration places.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:16 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by reinkailua
Did you find that you lost any power with this setup--
Thanks
You are replying to a post that is 11 years old!

Quick Reply: C2 Side Pipes