C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Fix For 60 Tossing Wheel Covers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 12:53 PM
hvw
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fix For 60 Tossing Wheel Covers?

I just put classic www radials on the car and it's been throwing wheel covers ever since. Guess they don't want to seat properly again since being removed. Anyone know of a fix for that problem short of glue or buying all new covers. And yes, they are the full inner ring imports. Would the domestic reproductions be any better? Many thanks. Hal
Old 01-12-2007, 01:03 PM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Do you have the stock wheels with the dimples in them?
Old 01-12-2007, 01:09 PM
hvw
Cruising

They appear to be stock. If for some reason they are not, could you explain the difference for the problem and what I might be able to do in either case? Thanks for responding.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:12 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 745 Likes on 465 Posts

From an earlier thread in which JohnZ posted the following:

Re: 56-52 wheel covers, wheel nubs, etc. (62fuelie)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went through about five different iterations of "fixes" for wheel cover rotation on my '57 after switching to radials; there indeed are radial ribs on the wheel cover adjacent to the retention ribs, and even after "tweaking" those as you describe, still had the problem - even tried Velcro spots, etc. Got tired of seeing the valve stems at 45 degrees, and finally had the steel valve stems installed, which cured it permanently.

________________________________________ ___________________

I've got the steel stems on my 60 with new Diamondbacks on repro rims but don't have enough mileage to know how things are going to pan out!

DZ
Old 01-12-2007, 01:24 PM
hvw
Cruising

Problem does not appear to be directional. They just don't want to seat properly and will just start oozing out while driving and then pop out completely with a bump in the road. I've tried moving the ring outward a bit with a plier but to no avail. I need something that will cause the ring to really grip the wheel. I had one thought about drilling some holes from the inside-out and maybe the rough metal around the edge of the holes would hold tight. ???? Thanks.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:44 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

The info above (steel valve stems) cures rotation on the wheel, not "throwing" the covers off the wheel. The key issue here is whether or not you have the original wheels with the four raised "nubs" on each rim that retain the wheel covers. If you don't have the original wheels with the "nubs", there's no way to retain the wheel covers unless you get the correct wheels or add the "nubs" by welding/filing.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:47 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 848 Likes on 584 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
The info above (steel valve stems) cures rotation on the wheel, not "throwing" the covers off the wheel. The key issue here is whether or not you have the original wheels with the four raised "nubs" on each rim that retain the wheel covers. If you don't have the original wheels with the "nubs", there's no way to retain the wheel covers unless you get the correct wheels or add the "nubs" by welding/filing.
John: if you add the "nubs" as you say, will the rims have to be balanced before rubber is put on and then re-balance them?

jack
Old 01-12-2007, 09:22 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 745 Likes on 465 Posts

My repro rims have "nubs". Interestingly, one of the first set would not even take a wheel cover. Nubs appeared to be too far back from edge. Vendor made good on that one!
Thanks for the clarification on my post above John.
DZ
Old 01-12-2007, 09:34 PM
benspruce
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had the identical problem with my 60. My solution was to put on American Racing Torque Thruster wheels. The look is very nice but obviously not correct. Suggestions given to me before I got the Americans include: 1) Add to the size of each nub by welding more metal onto them; 2) Purchase original hub caps. It has been shown to me how much more strength the originals have than the new replacement hub caps. A friend with a 59 bought original caps (expensive) and solved the problem. I guess if the wheels or the hub caps are not perfectly round there will be a tendency for a softer hub cap to come off. This is not a scientific explanation but it worked for my friend. Good luck!
Old 01-12-2007, 10:48 PM
VFW NO.11548
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try wraping a few layers of black electrical tape on the outside of the mounting flange of the cap, it does tend to wear thru in about a year or so..I just wrap more tape around it ..Haven't lost a cap yet..
Old 01-13-2007, 12:30 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,479 Likes on 906 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Cragar SS mags. No more wheel cover problems.

Doug

Get notified of new replies

To Fix For 60 Tossing Wheel Covers?

Quick Reply: Fix For 60 Tossing Wheel Covers?