C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Why would c2 heater be by-passed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 05:08 PM
daddyboats
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why would c2 heater be by-passed?

Recently purchased a 66 coupe that has the heater hoses by-passing the core. Any logical reason for this, or should I assume there is a leak somewhere, and plan on replacing the heater core? Should I hook it up first, and take a chance on flooding the interior? The vehicle was in Florida for about 30 yrs. The person I bought it from got it that way. Thanks for any suggestions.

Dave
Old 01-17-2007, 05:12 PM
vintagecorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

My guess is that the heater core is junk. I would not waste my time or antifreeze hooking it up. You could however drain the antifreeze, hook it up then pressure test it.

oWEN
Old 01-17-2007, 05:18 PM
justatoy
Pro

ITS A LEAKER
Old 01-17-2007, 05:21 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 375 Posts

As you are probably aware, coupes can get a bit "warm". A previous owner may of bypassed the heater so that it did not add any "extra" heat to the cockpit. I would not automatically assume the core is junk, especially since it came from Florida where heat is needed sparingly.

You won't know until you check it out. Just be prepared for leakage.

Goor luck,
Plasticman
Old 01-17-2007, 05:29 PM
hogan64
Racer

Originally Posted by Plasticman
As you are probably aware, coupes can get a bit "warm". A previous owner may of bypassed the heater so that it did not add any "extra" heat to the cockpit. I would not automatically assume the core is junk, especially since it came from Florida where heat is needed sparingly.

You won't know until you check it out. Just be prepared for leakage.

Goor luck,
Plasticman

I installed a bypass and didn't have any leaks. It really helped with my 64' always blowing hot air at my feet.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:41 PM
Trophy Blue
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My heater core was bypassed as well. After I replaced it, I found out that the old one never leaked. You should replace it anyway. Remember Murphy's Law!!
Old 01-17-2007, 05:42 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

a forum member just by-passed his heater core for this reason, do not simply reattach the heater core to the colling system and run it, unless you fancy coolant in the passenger footwell.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:38 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Bubba was in a hurry to get back to drivin his vette! My 66 (Florida car) had the heater disconnected since 67!

To keep maximum radiator (engine) cooling don't use a loop of hose in/out from the heater ports. The idea is to keep as much water flowing thru the radiator, and not bypassing it.

Plug the ports until you connect the core.

Last edited by mikem350; 01-17-2007 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:48 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by mikem350
To keep maximum radiator (engine) cooling don't use a loop of hose in/out from the heater ports. The idea is to keep as much water flowing thru the radiator, and not bypassing it.

On my 70 Vette (350/350 engine), I put in a vacuum operated heater "shut-off" valve to limit the heat coming into the cockpit (which effectively blocks coolant flow through the heater core). However, the first time I tried it, the engine temp went through the roof. Open the valve, temp goes down to normal, close it again, temp skyrockets. I eventually replaced the water pump, and the temps stayed normal (valve open or closed). Can't say my experience was normal, but just something to be aware of when blocking the heater ports (since a lot of full size Chevy's came stock with these vacuum operated heater shut off valves).

Plasticman
Old 01-17-2007, 07:07 PM
7vettes
Race Director

Location: If I say it's safe to surf this beach ......then it's safe to surf this beach
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Plasticman
That's exactly why I bypassed the heater on my '64 Coupe when we lived in Florida. I never needed the heater there.

If it got "chilly", I had a semi light-weight jacket that I'd wear. I also needed to replace the foam at the fresh air vent grilles to adequately seal out the "chilly" air.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:39 PM
1Redctoo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default bypass

My heater core was bypassed in my 66 vert when I bought it . Finally last year I decided to tear the old core out and see why . Well, it had a leak so , wanting everything on the car to work properly I installed a new one . One problem ..........HOT ! With the core hooked up the passenger side foot area cooks . Im probably going to bypass it before summer rolls around .
Old 01-17-2007, 09:56 PM
daddyboats
Instructor

Thanks for all the replies, appreciate it. I think I will probably replace the core, since I am restoring the car...and I could've used some heat when I last drove it in December.

Thanks, Dave
Old 01-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Oriondriver
Pro

Originally Posted by mikem350
Bubba was in a hurry to get back to drivin his vette! My 66 (Florida car) had the heater disconnected since 67!

How do you plug the ports? My heater core is currently bypassed and the in hose is just looped into the out hose...

Thanks
Scott
Old 01-17-2007, 10:32 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by Oriondriver
How do you plug the ports? My heater core is currently bypassed and the in hose is just looped into the out hose...

Thanks
Scott
That'll work fine - it's no different than having them connected to the heater core.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:18 PM
66427-450
Safety Car

Received 436 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Oriondriver
works, but looks a little odd.... another option is to flush it out with clean water, then use compressed air to push all the water out/dry it. Then just use black plastic push-in plugs to keep foreign material out.

Get notified of new replies

To Why would c2 heater be by-passed?

Quick Reply: Why would c2 heater be by-passed?