C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 Holly Carb leaking fuel

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 05:17 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Garner
Pulled my 67's Holley again today due to severe leak from circle on top of rear bowl. Last time it was the transfer tube at rear bowl and circle on side of rear bowl.
I'm considering giving up on this original carb.
I see I can buy a direct replacement Holley 3810.
I'd like to keep everything OE, but looking ideas for replacement.
Jeff,

If the carburetor works ok on the engine it's not a big deal to get new bowls and install new gaskets.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:58 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Just remove the front bowl, and the transfer tube will literally fall off in your hand. Replace the two orings, and your back in business. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE SCREWS THAT HOLD THE BOWLS ON! I can't see your pic, is it leaking on the float adjustment screw on top of your rear bowl?
Originally Posted by tbarb
Jeff,

If the carburetor works ok on the engine it's not a big deal to get new bowls and install new gaskets.

Last edited by 65 vette dude; 05-27-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:12 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

My car had the 3367 Holley service replacement carb on it when I bought it 5 years ago. It is a 66 with a L79. I had leaking problems and I did not like the way the secondaries opened. I had it rebuilt but these problems continued. I bought the AED 650 in December. They only make mechanical secondaries. Wow, what a difference. No leaking and the garage doesn't smell like gas. I choose no choke and I am glad I did. You don't need a choke. The car starts immediately after sitting 2 weeks or more because the gas doesn't leak out. I was a little worried about the mechanical secondaries. I love them. When you accelerate the power comes on very smooth and you can't tell when the secondaries open. The car feels more like a fuel injected car now. I have checked my mileage and I don't see any difference. AED set up the carb and I drove up to Richmond and picked it up. They even ran it on their test mule for me. I brought it home, installed it and only had to adjust the idea. The really nice part is that I can call them and a body answers they phone.

AED buys the major carb components from Holley but they machine all the parts on their CNC machines. These are modern carbs designed for today's gas. Here is a picture of my carb.
Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2017, 06:02 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by rcameron
I know this is an old thread, so what Holley Street Avenger carb should I look at if I were to do a replace? I have a 327/350 '65 Vette.

Also, if anyone had pics/info on how to change out the o rings to the sleeved rubber gaskets for the fuel tube, would appreciate it!

Thanks!
You are answering a 10 year old thread, with a question that's unrelated to that thread.

Please start new threads on new topics.

Quick Reply: C2 Holly Carb leaking fuel