C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

My new top has a hole!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 11:31 PM
Last 62
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My new top has a hole!!!

A couple of years ago I had a new top installed by a local shop that came highly recommended. The shop owner had been a NCRS judge in the past. I had to take it back three times to get him to do it "right." I have pretty much left the top up because I like the way it looks and because was nervous about putting it down.

Well, I put it down a couple of weeks ago and when I put it up, a hole had been rubbed through by the little chrome spear on the strip above the rear window.

Another shop said it happened because the strip had not been cut to length properly.

There are two holes.

Opinions please.

I plan to offer to let him make it right. If not I guess it will be my 1st time to sue someone.

Jim

Last edited by Last 62; 07-30-2007 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:36 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 528 Likes on 377 Posts

Was "told way back when" to always put a protector (blanket/pillow/etc.) across the back window fold, and across the spears. It is the design of the tops IMHO, that causes these problems.

I see "what look like" scuff marks on your rear window, which tells me the protector has not been utilized. May just be the angle that the picture was taken at, but that is what they look like.

Don't think a suit will get you anywhere.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 07-30-2007 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:53 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Plasticman
Was "told way back when" to always put a protector (blanket/pillow/etc.) across the back window fold, and across the spears. It is the design of the tops IMHO, that causes these problems.

I see "what look like" scuff marks on your rear window, which tells me the protector has not been utilized. May just be the angle that the picture was taken at, but that is what they look like.

Plasticman
I have to agree with this response. Unless you protect the top when down for a long period of time the same thing will happen to the next top whether free or you buy it. Your not the first to do this, happens all the time. First time Vette owners sometimes have to learn the hard way.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:59 AM
glensgreen65
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been putting my top up and down for 16 years without a pad and I don't have any holes or wear marks. I would suggest to him that the top represents his company's workmanship and you would be more than happy to show it off for better or worse. Word travels fast with this hobby. Good luck to you.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:58 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I never had a hole in that location, even with daily top up/down for years.

i suspect the bow above the rear window is not in correct position, which is causing the problem. But, the reveal strap looks too long also by an inch or two on each side, which could easily be the problem

NCRS judge owner doesn't mean jack ****. i saw this awful piece of crap '61 at BJ last winter that was owned (claimed) by a NCRS judge and it was a POS. Everything may have been period *correct*, but the body fit, body seams were terrible, interior work looked again correct, but poorly executed,and the engine, well, words do not describe the condition of the engine, ignition shielding crooked for one, rusty generator; my mind blanks out other details due to the horror. Some sucker paid well over $70K for it, IIRC.

Doug
Old 07-31-2007, 04:52 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 729 Likes on 623 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Ironcross
I have to agree with this response. Unless you protect the top when down for a long period of time the same thing will happen to the next top whether free or you buy it. Your not the first to do this, happens all the time. First time Vette owners sometimes have to learn the hard way.
too...
Bill
Old 07-31-2007, 05:00 AM
67pete
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

You shouldn't have to!

But then again......
Old 07-31-2007, 05:14 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Plasticman

Plasticman
also...
Bill
Old 07-31-2007, 06:01 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

My top is less than a year old. It has wear marks in it and I do keep a rolled up towel across the fold. No holes yet but if that towel was not there I bet there would be. I keep the top down all the time. When I put it up I hate to see what happens to it.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:54 AM
Lee H
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just check my 65 with the original top, has these wear marks also.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:54 AM
Last 62
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned this car 43 years and have owner several other verts and I did have a rolled up towel in the window when it was down. I have never had a hole rub through because the top was down. If it rubbed through because the metal spears are in the wrong place, then I might have leg to stand on.

So, my question is, do they appear too long which caused the hole or are they OK. If they are OK then its on me.

Jim
Old 07-31-2007, 11:00 AM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

A little duct tape on the inside will hold it for many years.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:07 AM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Last 62
I have owned this car 43 years and have owner several other verts and I did have a rolled up towel in the window when it was down. I have never had a hole rub through because the top was down. If it rubbed through because the metal spears are in the wrong place, then I might have leg to stand on.

So, my question is, do they appear too long which caused the hole or are they OK. If they are OK then its on me.

Jim
I believe the replacement spears are held in place with a small headed nail through the bow. But, if memory serves me correctly (without going outside to look), the originals had a small screw through the hole and into a threaded hole (very small) in the bow. Again, I'm going from memory (always a dangerous thing)!! Look inside at your bow and see if there is a small hole in the general location of the metal cap, then maybe you'll be more able to tell about the proper location.

(Sorry, but it's been quite some time since I've installed a top and don't remember all the smaller details).

Old 07-31-2007, 11:10 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 559 Likes on 452 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Ron Miller
I believe the replacement spears are held in place with a small headed nail through the bow. But, if memory serves me correctly (without going outside to look), the originals had a small screw through the hole and into a threaded hole (very small) in the bow. Again, I'm going from memory (always a dangerous thing)!! Look inside at your bow and see if there is a small hole in the general location of the metal cap, then maybe you'll be more able to tell about the proper location.

(Sorry, but it's been quite some time since I've installed a top and don't remember all the smaller details).

I think you are right. I remember taking spears off the original canvas top from mine.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:11 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

The wire-on strip is clearly about 2" too long - I've never seen one wrapped over that far. Is the end of the attaching screw for the end cap sticking through on the inside of the bow?

Old 07-31-2007, 03:21 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JohnZ
The wire-on strip is clearly about 2" too long - I've never seen one wrapped over that far. Is the end of the attaching screw for the end cap sticking through on the inside of the bow?

The wire-on strips are always furnished in a longer length than required, this allows for some misalignment side-to-side when stapling it in place. Since my replacement top, as many do, came with a small nail instead of the original screw to hold the cap in place, I went inside the car and ran a pin through the hole in the bow to locate the proper outside position of the SS cap.

Looks like the installer in your case may have used the full length of the wire-on without cutting to the proper length, but I can't really tell from the photo. I agree with JohnZ however, that it does appear to be too long. Go inside the car as suggested previously, locate the hole in the bow for the threaded screw, and you'll be more accurately able to locate the proper position for the SS cap.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:44 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

no matter how long the strip, or the location of the spear; if it touches the top material while folded down, it WILL wear a hole in the top. the prudent thing is to pad/separate the spear/screw/nail/whatever with a towel or something from the other top material EVERY time you put the top down.

and pad the rear window and smooth out the wrinkles where the sides and top fold in half.
Bill

Get notified of new replies

To My new top has a hole!!!

Old 07-31-2007, 05:44 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by wmf62
no matter how long the strip, or the location of the spear; if it touches the top material while folded down, it WILL wear a hole in the top. the prudent thing is to pad/separate the spear/screw/nail/whatever with a towel or something from the other top material EVERY time you put the top down.

and pad the rear window and smooth out the wrinkles where the sides and top fold in half.
Bill

I can't and won't argue that it won't eventually wear a hole in the top over time, but the question is "How long?" I've had my top on over 15 years, have never used a pad, towel, or otherwise when I put it down, and there is absolutely no indication of wear at any point where the metal cap touches the top material. It stays down most of the summer, unless I'm caught in the hot sun through the day, or get caught by a shower.

I also won't dispute the merits of using a towel or some other means of protection at the rear window to prevent scratching/hazing while in the stored position. Also as important is to insure the window is absolutely clean and dust free before storing, that'll cause problems even with a pad or towel in place.

Note that my experience relates to the C-2's, C-1's have a little different top structure and I can't speak to that.

My experience.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:53 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 528 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Miller
I can't and won't argue that it won't eventually wear a hole in the top over time, but the question is "How long?" I've had my top on over 15 years, have never used a pad, towel, or otherwise when I put it down, and there is absolutely no indication of wear at any point where the metal cap touches the top material. It stays down most of the summer, unless I'm caught in the hot sun through the day, or get caught by a shower.

I also won't dispute the merits of using a towel or some other means of protection at the rear window to prevent scratching/hazing while in the stored position. Also as important is to insure the window is absolutely clean and dust free before storing, that'll cause problems even with a pad or towel in place.

Note that my experience relates to the C-2's, C-1's have a little different top structure and I can't speak to that.

My experience.

Yes, the difference is between a C1 and C2 tops. C1's do not have that luxury. I never used a pad on my C2, and never saw an issue. I would not dare to omit the pad on my C1!

Plasticman
Old 07-31-2007, 09:52 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default I have a question

Hi

Mine is doing the same thing on my 1963 Corvette. everytime I put the top down (I dont that much)

However, to stop that I use a "pillow tube" to go across the plexi glass window (wont scratch up). I also use two terry cloth towels on each side so it wont rub against the vinyl top...

Also Im curious if anyone can tell me why I have a problem with the top when I latch it on top of the window it always "over shoots the holes and I have to "pull it back" to try and put the pins in the hole..The top doesnt sit well against the chrome strip up top..

When I bought the car I could not get the top to latch at all!!! Unless I took the pins out..When i paided and exper to do it the "correct" way its better but still doesnt sit on the chrome header right..

Pete

Just I thought..

Quick Reply: My new top has a hole!!!