C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Love my car, Hate my paint (Part One)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2001, 09:41 PM
58Mike
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: Love my car, Hate my paint (396 RAT)

396RAT-

There was never an agreed upon price. I bought their $1995 engine and they suggested I go with Aluminum heads. For another grand, sure. Roller cam, heavy duty this, polished that, ceramic coat those, you get the idea. There was some stuff I didn't need or request, but "on an engine like this, THAT air cleaner would look tacky!" Markups were a little high, too, so the final price was higher than I expected. At the time, I was getting impatient because they'd had the car for about five months and STILL weren't finished.

The additional problem was the shop was in financial trouble (they've since gone under), and needed my payment to catch up on some bills. So my options were few. At the time, though, my business was really good (wish it still was!), so I just paid it, but believe me, I was LIVID! :mad At least I learned a lesson: Get a fixed quote up front.

And the experience isn't entirely bad. I got gouged, but it is a truly beautiful engine. The guy got fussy about which style bolts would look best in different areas, shades of red for spark plug wires, polished aluminum vs. chrome for different parts, real **** stuff. Now if I could only finish the rest of the car! :rolleyes:

- Mike
Old 11-28-2001, 08:22 PM
Donn 66
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI3 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In III Veteran
Default Re: Love my car, Hate my paint (BIGBLOCK62)

Man I would be really pissed off :mad I'm having mine painted now and it better be perfect when I get Her back and thanks to you and this forum I will be asking him some question before he starts! :confused: For that much cash it should be good for 20 years!

I wish you luck!

Donn :chevy

[Modified by Donn 66, 6:24 PM 11/28/2001]

Quick Reply: Love my car, Hate my paint (Part One)