C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

I'm sick of eBay description double-talk

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 08:34 AM
jerrybramlett
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 288 Likes on 121 Posts

Default I'm sick of eBay description double-talk

Exactly what is meant by the eBay phrase "sold as-is" when the seller does not fully describe the current "is" condition?

I think this has come to mean "I'm a slimey jackass, and I'm not going to tell you about the hidden flaws in this part". Every time I've asked an "as-is" seller to tell me exactly what condition the part is in, he goes mute. Hiding something? I think so.

Oh... I'm sorry. I forgot about the "I don't know nuthin' about no car part" excuse.

I've now got a small pile of cracked castings and assemblies with missing internal pieces that somehow got through the seller's careful pre-sale inspection. Funny how I could find the flaws during a 30 second visual check after the parts arrived. I must have great eyesight for an old man!

Last edited by jerrybramlett; 12-04-2007 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:08 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 528 Likes on 377 Posts

You forgot about the old standard: "I am selling it for a friend."

In reality, they are saying: Don't buy this piece of crap unless you are desparate.

Plasticman
Old 12-04-2007, 09:12 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Just think, buying thru Ebay, you are paying more for something than anyone will pay.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:23 AM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

So sad.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:24 AM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rare....................
Old 12-04-2007, 09:24 AM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

My favorite is a picture of the part next to the box with the description that this is an NOS piece. But I'm not selling the box, just the part. Only reason I pictured the part and the box was to show you that it really was an NOS piece. But I'm keeping the box. Ah, I guess I've got an emotional attachment to the box. Yeah, that's the ticket. Always loved those boxes. Can't bear to part with it. The part? That you can have. But not that box.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:32 AM
jerrybramlett
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by chris ritchie
My favorite is a picture of the part next to the box with the description that this is an NOS piece. But I'm not selling the box, just the part. Only reason I pictured the part and the box was to show you that it really was an NOS piece. But I'm keeping the box. Ah, I guess I've got an emotional attachment to the box. Yeah, that's the ticket. Always loved those boxes. Can't bear to part with it. The part? That you can have. But not that box.

I could not agree more with you, Chris.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:34 AM
53 Blue Flame Brett
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My favorite as well.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:36 AM
BOB WINSKI
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

jERRY, I feel just be up front with people .I don"t like to be jerked around. Bob W
Old 12-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,004 Posts

and next week I will have another NOS part setting right next to this same box.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:46 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 729 Likes on 623 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by jerrybramlett
Exactly what is meant by the eBay phrase "sold as-is" when the seller does not fully describe the current "is" condition?

I think this has come to mean "I'm a slimey jackass, and I'm not going to tell you about the hidden flaws in this part". Every time I've asked an "as-is" seller to tell me exactly what condition the part is in, he goes mute. Hiding something? I think so.

Oh... I'm sorry. I forgot about the "I don't know nuthin' about no car part" excuse.

I've now got a small pile of cracked castings and assemblies with missing internal pieces that somehow got through the seller's careful pre-sale inspection. Funny how I could find the flaws during a 30 second visual check after the parts arrived. I must have great eyesight for an old man!
Jerry
i know what you mean. i got a 'negative' feedback the other day because i backed out of a deal where the guy would only accept a money order or certified check but didn't say so in his listing. there was no way on God's green earth that i was going to send a BIG chunk of money to some stranger without some guarantee (like PayPal) that i wasn't getting something incomplete or with wrong or missing parts.
Bill
Old 12-04-2007, 10:10 AM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Default C2 F.S. listing must include....

"All original". Yeah,......................right. Just ignore the NOM, restamp and flairs and zowee custom paint w 17" rims.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:55 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 557 Likes on 450 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

"RARE"
"Extremely RARE"
"I am not a corvette expert"
Old 12-04-2007, 03:20 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,548 Likes on 3,012 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by wmf62
there was no way on God's green earth that i was going to send a BIG chunk of money to some stranger without some guarantee (like PayPal) that i wasn't getting something incomplete or with wrong or missing parts.
Bill
And even this is no quarantee that your money isn't at risk.

I'm involved in a PayPal claim even as I type for some Weber carburetors (yes, for a Corvette, just to make this relevant) that need $200 worth of parts to be in the condition claimed by the seller.

After submitting what I thought was a well reasoned, articulate, and clear explanation of the problem, PayPal denied my claim. Oh, and the claim denial (follow me on this) came FOUR days after PP asked for a 3rd party evaluation of the Webers for which I had TEN days to respond.

All communication I've had from PayPal arrives by email late at night and epitomizes the concept of nonsequitur. It's almost as if the person reading my communication is in another time zone and doesn't understand English very well.

Caveat Emptor, as the old saying goes.

Jim
Old 12-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No rust = holes and deep pits from rust but sand blasted and spray can paint job shows no rust.
Solid = damaged but will not fail under load
Small hole = multiply given dimensions by four
Small dent = section could be straightened by a pro with jigs but more economical to replace the section

This was my experience with a parts vendor on the west coast that sold me a birdcage for major money. My first lesson on ebay ethics was expensive. I know better now.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:01 PM
jerrybramlett
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Scumbag sellers

I also hate the auctions that contain two lines of text about the part for sale followed by four paragraphs of description disclaimers, "terms and conditions", and threats for non-payment.

I think one line of terms is all that's needed: "I stand behind my descriptions".
Old 12-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Don Keefhardt
Racer

Originally Posted by jerrybramlett
I think one line of terms is all that's needed: "I stand behind my descriptions".
But then I'd ask the question "How FAR behind ?"

Get notified of new replies

To I'm sick of eBay description double-talk

Old 12-04-2007, 05:22 PM
Woodie
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I disagree.
Do you say. All priests are child molesters. All cops are are crooked. All lawyers are crooks. All ebay sellers are crooks? Sure there's some bad in every walk of life.
Let's get real, millions of parts are sold and delivered exactly as described. A lot of honest people are trying to sell cars and parts to get a decent price. They have to say SOLD AS IS to stop the cheaters from saying you didn't say that the bolts on the exhaust manifold are Not original I want $10,000 off for that and $2,000 more for the hassle. I've read on this forum many accounts of forum buyers being royal nit pickers over minor items. Real fraud goes on absolutely. But you're there looking hoping to buy something for less than it's worth most of the time. If you really wanted a perfect part you would go to a Corvette supplier who stands behind his product and pay the Full shot.
When you see obvious things wrong and bogus selling statements Don't Bid. But don't lump everyone in one leaky rowboat.
I've bought items that were less than what I expected. sometimes my fault ( I didn't ask enough questions, I didn't read carefully, or it was such a steal I couldn't resist.) And a couple of times I got stung. No one forced me to use Ebay. I haunt it like a treasure hunt as Millions of others do. Because I've had many, many, more good times than bad.
If I've misunderstood you I apologize. $ days of flu 7" of snow and stuck home with nothing to do has made me cranky. I've already pi....ed off all my relatives so I figured I'd start on someone new. Have a nice day.... hehehe
Old 12-04-2007, 05:33 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 729 Likes on 623 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
And even this is no quarantee that your money isn't at risk.

I'm involved in a PayPal claim even as I type for some Weber carburetors (yes, for a Corvette, just to make this relevant) that need $200 worth of parts to be in the condition claimed by the seller.

After submitting what I thought was a well reasoned, articulate, and clear explanation of the problem, PayPal denied my claim. Oh, and the claim denial (follow me on this) came FOUR days after PP asked for a 3rd party evaluation of the Webers for which I had TEN days to respond.

All communication I've had from PayPal arrives by email late at night and epitomizes the concept of nonsequitur. It's almost as if the person reading my communication is in another time zone and doesn't understand English very well.

Caveat Emptor, as the old saying goes.

Jim
Jim

at least it is better than 'nothing'.... (besides, my PayPal is to my credit card and i can always ask my credit card company to put a dispute hold on the payment to PayPal)
Bill
Old 12-04-2007, 05:40 PM
hpexpatriot
Racer

First I have to say I have never used E-bay. I have seen sooooooo many people PO'ed at Ebay transactions that I guess I have been conditioned to expect that there is going to be some sort of hidden flaws in everything sold over E-bay. In my heart I know that can't be true but judging from all the "Ebay fault finders" and "Screwed over by a guy on Ebay" posts I have been unable to pull the trigger on any E-bay purchases.

I also struggle with the Ebay effect on prices. Ebay does seem to be a sellers market place and that leaves me, as a buyer, a little gun shy on the price side also. Ebay has the effect of opening the potential market for something to a world wide market. Good for the seller not necessarily good for the buyer. On the other hand it also opens the marketplace for the buyer to a point where sources of items the existance of which would never be know can be discovered w/o one leving their home office.

Quick Reply: I'm sick of eBay description double-talk