C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

LS1 in a 63 split window? Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2001, 10:23 AM
Black Sunshine
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 in a 63 split window? Please help.

As can be seen by my post count, I'm new here. I'm at the point where I'm ready to make a dream reality. Since I was a kid, I always loved the look of the 63 split window, black on black.
But, I curently drive a 2001 SS Camaro, which I have gotten to 11.49@116.42 (1.52), with bolt ons only. Only a 150 shot away from 10's.
I love this motor, and I would love to put a punched out version of this motor, (a 427) in a 63. I wondered if this has been done by anyone? If you have any thoughts on how hard this would be to do, or what kind of things I would have to do to make this happen, please give your thoughts.
The car would be black, with sidepipes, & maybe a 6 speed, with a 200 shot of NOS. What does a stock 63 weigh? This car would be a street/strip/occasional show car, not a trailer queen. Thanks in advance for your thoughts & tips. Harold
Old 11-29-2001, 01:21 PM
GregP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: LS1 in a 63 split window? Please help. (Black Sunshine)

Being a small block it will "basically" fit, but you might need a hood bulge to clear the injection. By the time you "patch in" the computer stuff, if it was me I'd just do a complete re-wire on the car. There are several past posts on getting a 700R4 trans to fit in a C-2, I don't know about a 6-speed. You would want to consider upgrading to disks all around, and probably some beefing of the rear end components.

Yes it could be done, no it's not going to be just a simple bolt-on. A candidate "not correct" base car will still be pretty pricy, and may need quite a bit of general restoration along with the modification.
I'd bring along a pretty thick wallet :)

-Greg
Old 11-29-2001, 02:52 PM
richscorvettes
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Default Re: LS1 in a 63 split window? Please help. (Black Sunshine)

Rod Saboury has done a Pro-Street 63 using an LS6 engine. I believe that he is from Maryland. I don't have a phone number though but I believe that he runs a performance shop. His car was at Carlisle this year and appears in the December issue of Vette Magazine on page 66. You can also see it by going to this link: http://www.vetteweb.com/archives/eve...events01.shtml

Having done one of these myself I would suggest getting an LS1 crate engine including the computer and engine wiring harness as it simplifies the installation somewhat. You will also need to make a new trans. tunnel, make an air filter system, convert to a hydraulic clutch, make new motor and transmission mounts, convert to a cable operated throttle body, get a corrrect length drive-shaft, make a new gas pedal setup, as well as fabricate the exhaust setup. You may also have to change the location and brackets for the engine accessories. As another poster mentioned this isn't a drop in conversion by any means but I hope this gives you some idea of what's involved.

Rich Lagasse

Get notified of new replies

To LS1 in a 63 split window? Please help.

Quick Reply: LS1 in a 63 split window? Please help.