C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

May be a basic question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 01:16 PM
BuffaloBILL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Basic Question

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Disconnect the wires from both ends of the resistor and check across the terminals with a VOM set on "ohms" and tell us what you see; it should be between 1.5-2.5 ohms.
Thank you John Z

I will do it this evening and post reply
Bill
Old 02-01-2008, 08:55 AM
BuffaloBILL
Pro

Default May be a basic question

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Disconnect the wires from both ends of the resistor and check across the terminals with a VOM set on "ohms" and tell us what you see; it should be between 1.5-2.5 ohms.
John Z
I check the resistance on the porcelin Ballast resistor it is at 1.9 Now i am really confused? Why does it show 12 Volts coming from the coil to the hot side and 12 volts leaving on the ignition Buttom side? i ALREADY PURCHASED THE NEW PETRONIX Is my old one still good (i can keep it as a Spare)

Please advise

Thank you
Bill
Old 02-07-2008, 10:10 AM
BuffaloBILL
Pro

Default Petronix

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Hi Bill,
Nice chatting with you. To respond to this thread - the middle wiring diagram is for a Pertronix II with a Stock rated coil, the idea being to drop the voltage to the ignition system to keep things from getting fried.

The bottom diagram includes the different coil with the different rating which does not require the voltage to be dropped to the coil.

If I got all that wrong, surely someone will step in and help me out.

Jeff
Jeff & John Z and forum members

Thank you for your advice and I want to thank Jeff for his Petronix wiring Diagram I recieved my Petronix Electronic ignition kit and it worked out Great! I was able to follow the diagram provided and the old girl fired right up

Thanks again
Bill
Old 02-07-2008, 11:35 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Glad you got it working Bill.

Quick Reply: May be a basic question