C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 emergency brake switch installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 07:03 AM
jrepoff
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VettePoor,
Nice job...that is a great way to get a working configuration.

Stratplus,
If you look at the parking brake rod there should be a hole where the nub should be. The picture Frank posted was very helpful to me because I was not able to see the hole and was not aware of the need for the nub.

This was a very informative thread for me with regards to orginal and alternative solutions...Thanks...
Old 03-04-2008, 07:37 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by stratplus
This picture says it all. No wonder i cant get mine to work.
I don't have that nub. Is it possible that it snapped off? Can it be added?
JohnZ said earlier in this post that you can buy the nub from repro vendors but I took a quick look at Dr. Rebuild and Paragon and couldn't find one right off - but they must be out there.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:53 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I believe the part is called a stop pin and Corvette America lists them:

Here is the note they have on the part:
This is a metal pin with a flared head and fluted sides that
is inserted in a hole in the parking brake notched shaft. It
prevents the shaft from being pulled or pushed too far.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-04-2008 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:21 PM
mbovino
Instructor

I am pretty sure that the stop pin has to be removed to disassemble the ratchet rod from the outer sleeve which might explain why many go missing over the years.

If you can't find the correct pin you might be able to slip in a pan head screw of slightly smaller thread diameter into the original pin bore (I believe that was a press fit fluted rivet style pin). A drop of epoxy is all that is needed to hold it. That's what I did in a moment of impatience and it has worked fine for a long time.

Regarding the switch operation, it is a PBNC or "push button normally closed" switch. When the brake is released, the rod is all the way back and the switch button via the leaf betwen it rides up on the pin thereby breaking the circuit. But when in any other position, the button releases thus completing the circuit and the light blinks.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:54 PM
1COOL60
Burning Brakes

Location: Emporia, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain, KS
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vettepoor
After looking at the ridiculous prices people were asking for these setups, I found a jeweled dash lens that matches originals, used a flashing bulb, and installed a microswitch on the brake handle, activated by the same "nub". Works like a charm for a whole lot less money!!
My switch failed years ago, so I cobbled up a system that uses a turn signal flasher with resistors to ground to provide enough load to flash the bulb. It ain't pretty, but it works.

Can you provide a part number for the flashing bulb? Going that way I could get away from some unneeded clutter under the dash. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:37 PM
vettepoor
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 1COOL60
My switch failed years ago, so I cobbled up a system that uses a turn signal flasher with resistors to ground to provide enough load to flash the bulb. It ain't pretty, but it works.

Can you provide a part number for the flashing bulb? Going that way I could get away from some unneeded clutter under the dash. Thanks.
I believe the number was 257. It is the same bulb that is used in a C2 for the parking brake and headlight warning indicators.

John
Old 03-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Default C1 parking brake switch ***'y

Wow - item #120228265748 on eBay - used, in worse shape than the one I just bought it seems, current bid is $257 !!! I don't feel so bad about what I paid now.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:07 AM
trw58c1
Racer

Originally Posted by fdreano
Just put mine in and it works great - flashes brightly only when brake is set and ignition is on....15 minute job. NO - there is no repro for these I got mine from WernerVett@aol.com including the switch, flasher bulb and pigtail - I hate to even post what I paid for it; they ain't cheap !

The one that was on my car didn't work most of the time. I bought a used one and found it had a slit worn on the metal tab. Gave up and bought a new one. Switch broke.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:36 AM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Default 60 ebrake

Originally Posted by stratplus
This picture says it all. No wonder i cant get mine to work.
I don't have that nub. Is it possible that it snapped off? Can it be added?
Well, well, well. After years of tying to get the ebrake switch to work and giving up and trying and giving up, as of yesterday it is working.

The nub was broken off in the shaft. Punched it out, then used a pan head screw and the beauty of that light saying "Brake" says it all!

Quick Reply: C1 emergency brake switch installation