C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Info on Hot Rod Air needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 05:54 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Info on Hot Rod Air needed

I have been looking at the alternatives for my midyear air conditioner. I have had ok experience with Vintage air in my coupe for the last 7 or 8 years but exploring other options.
I know Hot Rod Air uses servos in stead of cables and it hides away better under the dash.

I would like to hear from anyone about their experiences good or bad about Hot rod air.

Thanks Jeff
Old 03-04-2008, 06:06 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

i have HRA in my 62, i picked it because i liked their layout under the hood and the way the items fit inside; the servos haven't been a problem... i do recommend it for a C1 over the others, but there may be a better choice for the C2s.

the only thing i would change is the way the control the heat, it's basically a open/closed servo controlled valve, and you adjust the temp by blending hot air and a/c. i think i saw in their catalog that they have a manually controlled heater valve available, but i don't want another ****, and you would have to figure out a way to disable the a/c..
Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 03-04-2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:40 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

The hot air blending is one thing I don't like about the Vintage unit either. How effective is their dehumidified defrost system?
Old 03-04-2008, 07:16 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by silverslashstreak
The hot air blending is one thing I don't like about the Vintage unit either. How effective is their dehumidified defrost system?
well, i can say that dehumidified defogging in Florida works very well..

the C1 HRA defrosting works well because the 'cold' can be turned off by turning the temp control all the way down (essentially no a/c as controlled by the thermostat..)
Bill
Old 03-04-2008, 08:11 PM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Many OEM systems use some amount of "reheat" to provide dry defrost air. By using the evaporator to dry the air, then use the heater core to bring the temperature back up makes for very efficient defrost. Sounds like HRA may be doing that??

Last edited by 66since71; 03-04-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:13 PM
OCS1667
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to the forum on this one myself, and wound up with Classic Air. That was what I gleamed from all the advice from the members at that time. Although nothing was wrong with Vintage, but the recommendations were more towards Classic. However, I did go with the Vintage Air Serpentine belt system.

Everything works great, and the air is 46 degrees at the outlets.

If you have any further questions let me know, It's been about 2 years since I did the deed but can help you with what I remember as a learning experience that's not in the instructions.

Dennis
Old 03-06-2008, 08:08 AM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Thanks for the responses, still looking for someone who has hot rod air in their midyear.

Thanks Jeff
Old 03-12-2008, 07:35 PM
2barknockoff
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The only way to fly

Hot Rod Air should be your best bet, as far as fitting correctly; nothing shows underdash, pre-crimped hoses; if you don't want them crimped, order as needed, and the unit was built around a stock mid year Corvette; doesn't fit a Chevelle,Camaro,ETC. The defroster is a replacement plastic duct that fits snuggly against the ac unit, so you get straight defrost to the windshield; no flex duct to restrict the volume of air. The evaporator uses a duel-shaft blower motor to move more air to the ac outlets; you can get 40 degree or below air provided the system is installed and serviced correctly. Hot Rod Air vette ac systems have been around a long time; alot of vette owners don't know that.

Last edited by 2barknockoff; 03-12-2008 at 07:37 PM. Reason: misspelled

Get notified of new replies

To Info on Hot Rod Air needed

Quick Reply: Info on Hot Rod Air needed