C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Ammeter flickering?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 08:18 AM
jkuzzy
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

Default Ammeter flickering?

I very rarely drive my 64 at night. Yesterdays weather was too nice not to drive it around. I noticed the ammeter gauge was flickering at times from the "+" side back to center and the lights would dim and then go back to normal.
Is that an indication that the alternator might be going or the voltage regulator is borderline? Maybe that is the way it is? The car ran fine otherwise.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:44 AM
ren
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There could be several causes. I had a similiar problem with my 63. Not having the proper testing equipment, I was ready to take the trial and error approach. I got lucky, The first item that I replaced was the voltage regulator. It was quick easy and cheap. That corrected the problem. Good Luck!!
Old 05-18-2008, 08:51 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by jkuzzy
I very rarely drive my 64 at night. Yesterdays weather was too nice not to drive it around. I noticed the ammeter gauge was flickering at times from the "+" side back to center and the lights would dim and then go back to normal.
Is that an indication that the alternator might be going or the voltage regulator is borderline? Maybe that is the way it is? The car ran fine otherwise.
Check first things first:

1) Idle speed (often, these symptoms are when idling)
2) Alternator drive belt tight
3) Take a voltage reading across the battery terminals with car running.

More advice on this last item is here: http://autorepair.about.com/cs/elect...a122700a_2.htm
Old 05-18-2008, 02:12 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The battery meter is measuring the small voltage difference between the horn relay and the starter solenoid. Make sure the connections at both are clean and tight. Also make sure the RH bulkhead connector is tight, since the wires from the battery meter run through it.

Be careful. Both lines always have 12volts and there is no fuse in either line to protect the battery meter if you ground one of the lines.

If you need a wiring diagram there is a link near the bottom of this web page to one you can save and print in any size:http://www.corvetteforum.net/classics/magicmachine

Last edited by magicv8; 05-18-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:04 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

If everything checks out the grounds could be suspect.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:55 PM
jkuzzy
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

All very good suggestions. I will start checking the tightness of things. I am electrically with it, but this one is a little mystifying to me. It kind of reminds me of the turn signals being on, but they aren't.
Thanks everyone.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:03 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If the voltage is really swinging to cause the problem, an analog voltmeter reading (with the engine running and the problem occurring) at the horn relay and at the starter solenoid should pin the problem down.

Get notified of new replies

To Ammeter flickering?

Quick Reply: Ammeter flickering?