C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

61 Charging system

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 03:47 PM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for all the help from all of you - amazingly prompt! Looks like the generator is the culprit. First thing I noticed was Field and Armature were reversed beween regulator and generator - hopefully that was not fatal to either component. The generator produces no voltage or current in any of the tests I have tried and I am informed the the prior owner that the regulatro was overhauled, but the generator has unknown history, so I figure it cannot hurt to throw brushes, etc at it. Hopefully that resolves the issue
Old 08-15-2008, 05:33 PM
L78racer
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

...and you didn't get an extra one for me...
Old 08-15-2008, 05:57 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
The 3 5/8in pulley was std and the 4in was on some "hi-perf" engines.
AND, the 4in pulley also came on some truck generators. It is, or at least was ALMOST identical to the Vette 4in pulley.
[/IMG]

I'm not sure about about 1956 but the 58-62 Corvette 4" pulleys are different than the one shown in your pics. The pulley is spaced out from the fan 3/16". Is that the ALMOST you are referring to? The correct repo. 4" pulley is readily available.

Jim
Old 08-15-2008, 06:05 PM
L78racer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kverges
Thanks for all the help from all of you - amazingly prompt! Looks like the generator is the culprit. First thing I noticed was Field and Armature were reversed beween regulator and generator - hopefully that was not fatal to either component. The generator produces no voltage or current in any of the tests I have tried and I am informed the the prior owner that the regulatro was overhauled, but the generator has unknown history, so I figure it cannot hurt to throw brushes, etc at it. Hopefully that resolves the issue
with the generator off the car you can test it.

you'll need a good battery, a set of jumper cables and another jumper wire.

jumper the field 'F' terminal to the generator case.
connect the negative battery cable to the generator case.
connect the positive cable to the armature 'A' terminal. (connect to the generator first then the battery).
the generator should run as a motor.
it should draw ~5 amps and run at ~900 rpm.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:54 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 200 Likes on 140 Posts

Default generators, drum brakes and Points.....Archaic

The good guys who caveat generators as OK if "everything is working properly" Like drum brakes, are correct, but unfortunately these 50 year old cars dont often fall into that category. Alternators work REALLY well, (notice how they were installed starting in 1963 and disc brakes work REALLY Well, (notice they were installed in 1965) so my opinion is that you will have nothing but trouble when you least want it if you keep your generator, same for the drum brakes. If you want to drive and enjoy your car a few MID SIXTIES upgrades will serve you Well......Alternator....disc brakes.....electronic ignition. Then you will have reduced frequent failure points in your car! Drive....enjoy

See Madelectrical.com for electrical upgrades (check out the relays)
Engineered components for disc brakes
and get a HEI from whomever you like!

http://fototime.com/inv/DA6D990661BC04B
Old 08-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by John S 1961
The good guys who caveat generators as OK if "everything is working properly" Like drum brakes, are correct, but unfortunately these 50 year old cars dont often fall into that category. Alternators work REALLY well, (notice how they were installed starting in 1963 and disc brakes work REALLY Well, (notice they were installed in 1965) so my opinion is that you will have nothing but trouble when you least want it if you keep your generator, same for the drum brakes. If you want to drive and enjoy your car a few MID SIXTIES upgrades will serve you Well......Alternator....disc brakes.....electronic ignition. Then you will have reduced frequent failure points in your car! Drive....enjoy

See Madelectrical.com for electrical upgrades (check out the relays)
Engineered components for disc brakes
and get a HEI from whomever you like!

http://fototime.com/inv/DA6D990661BC04B
Agree with disc brakes and electronic ignition (both items added to my '61); however my generator has had zero problems and I'm not messing with something that is working just fine and is NOT a safety issue.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:24 AM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

Anything mechanical can fail including alternators, disk brakes, and electronic ignition. Not knocking anyone that installs upgrades but really part of the charm of owning a piece of history is experiencing the operational characteristics and nuances these historic pieces exhibit. This "old tech" stuff was state of the art at that time and performed very well by the standards of the day. The old stuff is super reliable if maintained and is fun and rewarding to drive. 35 years without a generator, ignition, or brake failure is a far better record than I've enjoyed with many newer vehicles. Different strokes for different folks and I'll never slight someone for upgrading to newer technology but I for one find the "old stuff" experience enchanting and rewarding. It also gives you a good perspective and comparison to the the advances of engineering and modern technology.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:41 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by K2
This "old tech" stuff was state of the art at that time and performed very well by the standards of the day. The old stuff is super reliable if maintained and is fun and rewarding to drive.
Not to stray too far off topic but some things don't hold "charm" for me in this regard. Cutting my fingers up on ignition shielding to change points/condensor when I can have an undetectable electronic ignition in place that I basically never mess with after installation makes sense to me. And adding a vacuum advance with current fuel prices makes sense. Likewise when you have to do a 'panic stop' (and this happens sometimes I don't care how much following distance you keep) its nice to have close to the same technology as the car quickly braking in front of you or to keep your braking ability after driving through a deep puddle. These are my only concessions from the original equip on my '61.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:26 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Polarizing a Regulator

Originally Posted by ls6racer
i don't think it does. i've not seen that in print anywhere.
Right here and in print!.........

Last edited by Ironcross; 08-17-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:25 PM
L78racer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ironcross
Right here and in print!.........

i'd have to say that it may not matter either way. i've never done it with the field disconnected and had no adverse effects.
basically what happens during polarization is you draw current thru the generator in the correct polarity (direction of current flow). the most important thing is to jump the BAT to the armature (GEN).

any idea what that regulator in the pic is from?
Old 08-17-2008, 04:12 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Obviously a "restamped" voltage regulator with incorrect information..

Seriously, I also have never disconnected the field lead when polarizing and never a problem. I'd have to check the '61 Passenger Car Manual but I'm almost positive it doesn't mention this either. Strange.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:41 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Originally Posted by ls6racer
i'd have to say that it may not matter either way. i've never done it with the field disconnected and had no adverse effects.
basically what happens during polarization is you draw current thru the generator in the correct polarity (direction of current flow). the most important thing is to jump the BAT to the armature (GEN).

any idea what that regulator in the pic is from?
My Bird and its the OE regulator. Replacement regulators will not have that writing.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Originally Posted by fdreano
Obviously a "restamped" voltage regulator with incorrect information..

Seriously, I also have never disconnected the field lead when polarizing and never a problem. I'd have to check the '61 Passenger Car Manual but I'm almost positive it doesn't mention this either. Strange.
Yep, it`s restamped. It took me all night to place that GD printing on it with my computer.........
Old 08-17-2008, 06:20 PM
L78racer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ironcross
My Bird and its the OE regulator. Replacement regulators will not have that writing.

very nice bird. a 57? how does it compare to your '62 in terms of ride and as an everyday car back in the day? i've never driven one.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:11 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

There a really nice car Paul. The ride is much better than any early series Vette. And unfourtinately about 1/2 as fast under the best of conditions for both cars. Except there was a Paxton equipped option Bird and also a dual quad car valued way up with some rare Vettes. Comparison to Vettes would be the 75-82 years in my opinion. With the Birds styling beating out those Vettes. Another thing they are both difficult to get into with a taller person. I like the late model Vettes now because the 638 HP..
Old 08-17-2008, 08:45 PM
L78racer
Burning Brakes

i always liked them as a kid. but, my dad brought home a '54 vette back in 1962. so it's been vettes ever since. the big 'advantage' back then over the birds was that vettes didn't rust. of course, the frame on the '54 rotted out real bad and i replaced it in 1970.

you're a detroit area guy; do you remember bill kennedy? he had a '55-7 t-bird. he always talked about the car etc. on his show...
Old 08-20-2008, 11:02 PM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Back to topic? I did the test to run the generator from my charger and it spins I'm the correct direction but draws well over 20 amps and the pulley can easily be stopped with finger pressure. Makes me worry there is a short in the armature windings but maybe it is just brushes. Any thoughts?
Old 08-21-2008, 07:17 AM
L78racer
Burning Brakes

a battery charger is not the best way to test the motoring. but if you can stop it by hand i would say there is a possible problem. you should first try testing it with a battery. there are several checks that can be made with the generator apart. you should really get a service manual and start there.
almost any GM manual for a car with a generator would have the info you can use to check it out. there is a check for the armature which requires a "growler" that you can't do at home. you'd have to find a rebuilder with one of those to test it.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:11 PM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Turns out it was the generator and FYI Bob Reams electric in Arlington TX did a fantastic job on an complete mechanical and cosmetic restoration, including going through my regulator to be sure it works. All is well now and thanks for the troubleshooting advice.

Quick Reply: 61 Charging system