C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

NCRS

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 05:21 PM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: NCRS (Donn 66)

"If your car is what you want it to be, then be satisfied with it. The NCRS gets a bad rap from a lot of people. This is my take... if you don't like their rules, don't go to their house to play."

:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 01-16-2002, 06:27 PM
Donn 66
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI3 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In III Veteran
Default Re: NCRS (Kid_Again)

OK OK OK ! I guess I need to say this again, "I'M NOT PUTTING THE NCRS DOWN" I did the restoration my self and made some mistake's but I can live with them and most of them can be corrected later. If I would have known a little more about Corvette's and NCRS I may not have restored it but left it alone as a original. Then again I wouldn't be happy with it that way,every time I got in to drive her it would bug me if something wasn't perfect but that's me. I enjoy the people and have a great time at show and cruises. When I bought the car my best friend said " why did you get a Corvette anybody I ever met with a Vette is an A___ole" thank God he was wrong Because I have met some of the greatest people and always have fun and I feel the same way about most of the guys on this forum! Let me say it again I'm not putting down the NCRS OK!

Thanks for all the coments well most of them :D :D :D
Old 01-16-2002, 11:03 PM
Z062
Racer

I think

[QUOTE] (not for anyone but myself)[QUOTE]

says it all. Enjoy your car....

Old 01-17-2002, 07:36 AM
Aussie64
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: NCRS (half-a-62)

While NCRS is not active my part of the world I became a member and got a lot of great books for a lot cheaper than anywhere else and some you cannot get anywhere else, a great magazine in which all contributions come from members which makes great reading, not to mention the tips learned and future headaches I will subsequently avoid. A newsletter full of parts, cars and services.

In the quest for corvette knowledge this is a great place to start.

I am endeavouring to restore my car as original as possible, while making it comfortable for daily driving.
Old 01-17-2002, 08:19 AM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...i think the ncrs provides a very valuable service to this hobby since at least one of their aims is to establish a set of reference standards...i use their standards all the time but am not interested in becoming a member of ncrs, though i've met a lot of nice folks who are...the ones who take it too seriously are just too much to take.....no flame of ncrs intended

"i would never become a member of a club that would have me as a member"
groucho marx
:D

[Modified by Kid_Again, 7:19 AM 1/17/2002]
Old 01-17-2002, 09:58 AM
JL66REDCPE
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Don

That is one beautiful 66 coupe you have there. From the picture you have posted, it looks to me me like you did one heck of a job in restoring the car. Now it is your obligation to ENJOY IT !!!!! So quit whining about NCRS standards for now and go drive it.
That being said, I am also an NCRS member. I have been one since I have owned the car. It was virtually the first thing I did. I have a restored car. I had been collecting correct, not original, parts for about five years before I had it flight judged. It was not really my intent to have the car NCRS judged when I first bought it. I did however strive to get the car correct. A freind of mine happened to buy a 66 convertible and started bugging me to have mine judged -- so I did. I had heard all the war stories of the NCRS judges namely the "paint ****'s", the "engine pad ****'s" etc. I imagine a few of the stories still apply however generally speaking the judges were very courteous. They took their time in explaining any deductions in the context of HELPING me get the car correct to their standards. In my opinion they were also very liberal in the judging.
Like many have said before me, it is not for everyone and it doesnt have to be. Personally, I found it to be quite enjoyable and have met, and continue to meet, a lot of great helpful people.

john lolli
Old 01-17-2002, 11:38 AM
propwash
Burning Brakes

Default Re: NCRS (john m)

I joined the NCRS last year. In May I went to a judging school the NorthWest chapter gave in Salem, One car to be judged didn't show , so they asked if they could use my car to judge.
The judges went out of their way to tell me whats wrong and why and also what was right. they were gentle and filled full of good info on my love ( C-2 Corvettes)
I left the judging school feeling good about what I had for a car the score was a 82.5 3rd flight and more importantly I had a book full of score sheets that were given to me that I use all the time when repairing or replacing anything on the car. I am sure there are some PUDS in the group but I didn't meet any that day, If I had a wish it would be a separate local chapter with monthly meetings that have work shops and guest speakers I would get more involved, but then I have Rose City Corvettes for my monthly fix.
:seeya

[Modified by propwash, 9:41 AM 1/17/2002]
Old 01-17-2002, 11:59 AM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

DONN....Over the years I have put on 21st century components on my 66 big/block to make her more enjoyable to drive , more dependable ect....I belong to NCRS for many years ......but do not agree with the "Exact " stuff , its interesting to go to a simple shine in type show & find some of the owners who are only concerned & obsessed with correctness, it really can be **** & find out thet they have little if any wrench turning capability & little mechanical knowledge .... save the correctness for your estate & drive your machine as much as possible remember its your Corvette .................... NO :boxing NCRS rage intended... :flag :cheers: :blueangel: no NCRS members were harmed in the preperation of this reply just the 2 cents of the old dog.......WOOF WOOF

[Modified by StrayDog, 11:03 AM 1/17/2002]

[Modified by StrayDog, 11:06 AM 1/17/2002]
Old 01-17-2002, 12:38 PM
TheOman
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: NCRS (StrayDog)

Straydog

We have conversed in the past and I say AMEN on this post of yours. I have a theory that some, not all of the **** types, are exactly as you describe. No hands on skill so they have to enjoy the hobby at a different level, that being reciting part numbers and quantity built figures and color combos.

Others just want original by the books cars.

It all works for me, just let me do my thing and I will let others do theirs.
Old 01-17-2002, 01:05 PM
careyj1inalamo
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I have been a NCRS member for over a year. The NCRS tech. board is a great place to get information on date codes, parts, paint color's etc. (Very helpful) I would not worry that your vette is not 100% correct by NCRS standards, who cares. I was worried that my vette wasn't 100% correct, then I realized 99% of the population would love to have my 62 vette. 99% of the population would never know that a part like the window is not date coded or the frame doesn't have the correct markings. 99% of the population will see your vette and they will dream about driving it. Enjoy ;)
Old 01-18-2002, 12:22 AM
Donn 66
Pro

CI3 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In III Veteran
Default Re: NCRS (careyj1inalamo)

I read and read all the post and I'm greatful for all the thoughts and time everybody spent giving their opinon but I have to say that careyj1inalamo said it Best, really hit me ! :seeya
Old 01-18-2002, 11:33 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,888 Likes on 795 Posts

Nice car.....I joined NCRS just after I bought the '65. Have had a lot of fun with it. The folks are nice and the judges 99 out of 100 times will go out of their way to help you with advice or suggestions. I had gotten 6 Top Flights on the car including the recent National at the NCM. But, thats enough for me...to go further for DUNTOV would require too much work and I want to enjoy driving the car without worrying about tiny details. I will probably go the other way and buy real radials, American Racing mags, and a DeWitt radiator, hi po water pump etc. (to make it even more driveable). This stuff can always be switched back. With your car, what the heck, give it a try...you will enjoy the event and learn more about the car and still choose whether you want to spend big bucks to get everything "perfect"....then again, you may find your your car isnt as far off the "Flight" mark as you may think. ;)
Old 01-21-2002, 04:16 PM
Lee
Instructor

Default Re: NCRS (gilbybarr)

I am reading these posts with interest as I look at my 58 and am asking myself the question: Should I start working towards a top-flight award? I have a great car, 25 thousand miles on it and mostly correct with a few glaring exceptions.

First, it has a 25 year old pearl white lacquer paint job, Not correct, but very nice to look at and in great shape. When I eventually paint it, I will do it in the right colour.

Second, it has a '59 dated block. I have a correct block and I will fix that when I do the engine.

Third, it has the original fuel unit swapped for the 250HP unit and had a hydraulic cam added many years ago. I will fix that too when I re-build the engine.

It will also need lots of little stuff, like the correct gas cap, correct headlamps, a battery and tires, the odd clamp, interior screw etc.

I will poke away at all those little things and fix them per the NCRS book. NCRS and their publications are very helpful in doing that.

What I will not do right now is rip the car apart to paint it and swap the engine solely to make it a "correct" car. Its fundamentally correct as it is. For example, with the exception of seat covers, carpet and the dash pad, (all of which are NOS or correct reproduction) the entire interior is original and in great shape. All the glass, chrome and emblems, wheels, hubcaps etc. are original or, in a few cases NOS. If it had not been painted 25 years ago, it would be a great survivor.

In the meantime, this is just a great ride in great shape, and its fundamentally correct. I've never had a vette owner lament that its not a perfect NCRS top flight at any cruises I've been to. They all love it. Besides, I am sure if Harley Earl had seen a '58 in pearl white at the design studio, he would have made that a standard colour!

This summer I will have it judged. It won't get a flight award (at least not top flight) but at least I will know in detail what the car needs. That to me is the greatest value of an organization like NCRS.

Lee
Old 01-21-2002, 05:14 PM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NCRS serves a very valuable purpose. Without them, there would be no uniform judging standard, and 75% of stock vintage parts would be unavailable. The many restoration publications are an invaluable source of insight and knowledge. Plus, the people who are associated with it have been courteous and helpful to me and many others. They are usually very patient with those of lesser knowledge. They have helped to preserve countless Corvettes in their 'original' form. These are cars that otherwise would be only memories and pictures for future generations.
That being said, I have both a 'modified' C-3 and a 'returning to stock' C-2. I'm NOT now a member, but probably should be at this point........Thanks, guys.
:yesnod: :chevy :chevy :yesnod:
Old 06-04-2012, 09:54 AM
59 Fuelie
2nd Gear

Default 59 Fuelie

Hi my Name is Denis I need some info on my 59 the substructure in my 59 is all aluminum ie the door pillars windshield mounting reinforcement and the rocker panel reinforcement and the inner door metal substucture has anyone ever seens this before I have an unhit body. I bought the car in the early 80,s. Sometime in the 80,s I talked to Brian Fudo and also Nolen Adams on the car but never realy went an further to find out more info on the car . The Car is a fuelie 290 HP Hard top only.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:14 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Denis,
You posted your question on a 10 year old post. You would probably get more responses if you start a new thread with your question.

Mike Coletta
Old 06-04-2012, 10:41 AM
scopeli
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by LT4Coupe
The NCRS is closer than any other organization in documenting Corvette originality. But it's not perfect. Judging guides contain errors, inconsistencies and overlooked items. NCRS judges vary widely in knowledge and skill and experience. Conforming to NCRS standards means just that -- that your car meets ITS standards and what IT believes to be correct. If your car has an original item that is documented differently by the NCRS, you will get a deduction during judging. Corvettes rolled off the line with a whole lot of inconsistencies. The Corvette Bible has not yet been written.
if you have original items that you know are different from those in the judging guide you should make an effort to contact the team leader well before you have the car judged. i have done this in the past and have gotten credit for items that would otherwise been given deductions.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:01 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Time for the 10 year old thread to go back to sleep.

Quick Reply: NCRS