C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

engine stamp pad paint removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 11:35 AM
66rag427
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Disagree.

The upper photo shows W head engines, never used in Corvettes so not relevant.

The lower photo does show an SBC, but from which engine plant? Flint? Tonawanda? McKinnon?

Please don't paint all engine with one brush.

Ed: got a note off line that the lower picture was taken at Tarrytown NY (now closed) which never made Corvette engines- so that picture is not relevant either .
Some people just can't read. I never said they used 409 in corvette. Those are tonowanda engines and they painted everything. All the way thru the 60's whether you like it or not. That is the way the later big blocks were sprayed also.

Not Relevent? Now we have Perry Mason is posting.

Last edited by 66rag427; 12-04-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:38 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 66rag427
Some people just can't read. I never said they used 409 in corvette. Those are tonowanda engines and they painted everything. All the way thru the 60's whether you like it or not. That is the way the later big blocks were sprayed also.

Not Relevent? Now we have Perry Mason is posting.
I was making the point that your photos are not of engines destined to go into Corvettes- in one case wrong engine type, in the other wrong engine plant.

To presume that Tonawanda painted all engines of all types identically is, uhh, presumptuous. There's plenty of pictures around showing varying degrees of overspray on bypass hoses, not to mention original owner untouched cars, so using one picture (incorrect engine model or not) to stereotype all other engines is misleading. This applies also to your conclusion about the amount of overspray on bell housings.

And it's spelled Tonawanda, not tonowanda. Try untwisting your shorts, you'll hurt yourself.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:11 PM
66rag427
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was making the point that your photos are not of engines destined to go into Corvettes- in one case wrong engine type, in the other wrong engine plant.

To presume that Tonawanda painted all engines of all types identically is, uhh, presumptuous. There's plenty of pictures around showing varying degrees of overspray on bypass hoses, not to mention original owner untouched cars, so using one picture (incorrect engine model or not) to stereotype all other engines is misleading. This applies also to your conclusion about the amount of overspray on bell housings.

And it's spelled Tonawanda, not tonowanda. Try untwisting your shorts, you'll hurt yourself.
If you had ever worked for GM you would understand reality much more than you do now. Did you not see the pic that John posted?

Yes tonowanda (the plant) had a set painting process for every engine, large or small block and yes they were inspected and yes they sprayed everything, with the exceptions you saw in those pics. Presumption, uhhhhhhhhhhhhh no. Fact. Something you would rather dispose of.

I have met guys like you before. You would argue with a fence post. You are not debating me you are trying to declare a photo you don't like as invalid. You jump to all types of conclusions from those pics I posted. Just to prove what? That you are the new Perry Mason, you're the forum cop? What? If your arguement is: The paint burns off the exhaust, so then, it was never there. Are you really proving anything? My grand son can figure that one out.

This thread was about painted pads and overspray. Those pics were only to show how Chevy painted engines. I never said that was a corvette plant. Imputed in my statement for knowledgeable folks is the fact those were tonowanda engines just like corvette engine finish. If you don't know where all bb and some sb Chevy engines came from look it up. Doesn't matter where they are sitting in that pic.

By the way I don't want to offend you but since you seem so determined to prove something, maybe you should know for future. You can't "stereotype" an engine (only people or printing plates). Just a little tid bit there.

You can continue if you like but this all I have to say on this issue. I will not address it again. Those pics were only to help members understand the general paint process for the old engines. If those guys with those spray guns could hear this they would declare us both insane.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by 66rag427
If those guys with those spray guns could hear this they would declare us both insane.
Speak for yourself, and don't paint me with the same brush.

Dude, you really need to chill out. You sound like you're two heart beats away from having a coronary.

If you actually worked in the Tonawanda (tonowanda) engine plant and saw engines being painted on a regular basis and can today state first handed that the example of the 409 engine 'painting style' is consistant and comparable with all years of BBC engines then that's a different story. You certainly didn't make that clear in any of your posts.

If that is the case, then why do the rest of us mere mortals see examples of unrestored engines with traces of paint that fly in the face of what you claim as the one (and only one way) of painting them?

We'll leave the Tonawanda SBC engine plant out of it, unless you want to declare that Flint did things the same way as other plants.

Last edited by Mike Ward; 12-04-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:49 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Hey Perry,

Seems like I've met somebody just like you on another board. I've seen your type before.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:17 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Received 621 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Those photos are from the Tarrytown, NY assembly plant (full-size cars and trucks) in 1959; the "W" engines came from Tonawanda, NY, and most of their small-blocks probably did too.

Photo below is the Tonawanda engine paint line - both BB's and SB's, all with exhaust manifolds in place.
Yup, John is right on the money. ALL Flint small blocks from 55 through 65 had painted exhaust manifolds. And it WASN'T a light mist/overspray coat. It was a full on blast of paint that completely covered the top and outer surface of the manifolds. There are a lot of unrestored cars out there that still have orange paint on the forward facing alternator mounting ear, even after 40+ years.

Also, ALL big blocks for at least 65 through 67 had the same treatment. Heavy coat of orange on the upper/outer surfaces of the manifolds.

The bypass hose on 65-67 big blocks was shielded so most of the hose and clamps were unpainted. There would be some orange at each end of the hose.
The bypass hose on 63-67 small blocks was not shielded/masked at all. It would be painted orange along with the rest of the components.

Last edited by Critter1; 12-04-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:23 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by Critter1
Yup, John is right on the money. ALL Flint small blocks from 55 through 65 had painted exhaust manifolds.
Mike

I don't think there's any doubt about the exhaust manifolds. Can you comment on the differences in bell housing paint coverage on Flint vs. Tonawanda SBC engines?

The one in the photo appears to have 100% coverage vs. many Flint engines which appear to have minimal overspray.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Ward; 12-04-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Received 621 Likes on 441 Posts

Mike

I don't think there's any doubt about the exhaust manifolds. Can you comment on the differences in bell housing paint coverage on Flint vs. Tarrytown engines?

The one in the photo appears to have 100% coverage vs. many Flint engines which appear to have minimal overspray.

Mike
I think the story there is... engines of the 50's and early 60's with cast iron clutch housings received paint all the way back to the transmission mating surface to prevent rust on new cars.
Starting probably around the 1962 model, the housing rust was no longer an issue as it would be aluminum. The only part of later housings that was painted was the forward half from engine paint overspray.

I don't know if there was actually a difference in the method of paint between the two plants.

Quick Reply: engine stamp pad paint removal