C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

where are the connectors shown on my 1964 wiring schematic?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 07:49 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

Default where are the connectors shown on my 1964 wiring schematic?

Hi guys,
I'm pretty much through studying my 1964 wiring schematics (courtesy of papawana) and have just a couple of questions.

On page 3WD-104 there are two 8 pin blocks depicted near the top of the schematic. I assume this is the two sides of a connector. If my assumption is correct, then where is the connector and which pins connect together? Let's number the 8 points in the connector for reference. pin 1 will be top left and pin 8 will be bottom right. 1-4 on top, 5-8 on bottom. Using the same numbering convention for the 8 pins shown next to it, does 1 connect to 1 or what? If I had to guess, I'd say they mate actually as pin 1 on left connector to pin 4 on right connector and 5 to 8, etc, as if you folded the page in half (or mirror them)? Just guessing based on the wire colors and tracing connections as if they were made in this manner seems to be correct.

The same questions go for the four 8 pin blocks shown on page 3WD-105.

So all together, I suppose there are three 8 pin connectors somewhere in the car according to this schematic?
Old 12-11-2008, 08:01 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't know what 3WD-104 is, not owning any of Papawana's diagrams, but there are several connectors:

Engine Harness - Has a rectangle connector, connects to the fuse panel at the firewall, also called a bulk-head connector

Forward lamp harness - Has a rectangle connector, connects to the fuse panel at the firewall, also called a bulk-head connector. This connector and the one for the engine harness, are side by side, clear plastic connectors (covered in black wrap).

Rear harness - Also a rectangle connector, connects to the main dash harness up above the left kick panel, and is clipped to the "z-bar" support behind the instrument cluster. It is black plastic.

Some wiring diagrams show the main fuse panel as 2 sets of pin connectors, instead of representing it as one big square panel with 2 sets of connectors within it.

Perhaps you are seeing something like that?
Old 12-11-2008, 11:46 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Yeah, thanks. I think that will cover it.. let you know after Saturday..
which of the side by side firewall connectors is headlights and which is engine harness?
(I have no forward harnesses in my car anymore - have to rewire as I work through my LS2 install).
Old 12-12-2008, 12:16 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey
which of the side by side firewall connectors is headlights and which is engine harness?
I'm PRETTY sure the connector closest to the driver's fender is the lights, and the connector closest to the steering shaft is the engine harness. But my car is currently over in a storage facility so I am unable to personally confirm that.

However the wiring diagram from the 1965 corvette shop manual, supports my memory.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:52 AM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Thanks, I will check on my car tomorrow and see if that makes sense based upon the fuse block..

really appreciate the help!
Old 12-12-2008, 11:58 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Hi guys,
I'm pretty much through studying my 1964 wiring schematics (courtesy of papawana) and have just a couple of questions.
Do you have the 1964 Assembly Manual? It has a complete wiring diagram at the end of section 12, and that section has lots of illustrations that show exactly where all the connectors are. It's also in the 1964 Corvette Shop Manual Supplement. If you don't have those references as a minimum, you're flying blind.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:01 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

I do not have the AIM. This is kind of like when I was a kid, and I used to put my car models together without the instructions I guess.. except now I'm building 1:1 scale ha ha!

Where is a good source to order the 1964 AIM?
Old 12-12-2008, 12:36 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

I do not have the AIM. This is kind of like when I was a kid, and I used to put my car models together without the instructions I guess.. except now I'm building 1:1 scale ha ha!

Where is a good source to order the 1964 AIM?
wilcox would be a good bet for the aim and Dr. Rebuild has a GREAT wiring diagram for your car..

Get notified of new replies

To where are the connectors shown on my 1964 wiring schematic?

Quick Reply: where are the connectors shown on my 1964 wiring schematic?