C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Removing a slightly rounded Hex Socket Plug

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 08:20 PM
Mikey65
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Removing a slightly rounded Hex Socket Plug

I finally started up the car again, and noticed a slight leak from the outlet for the heater hose from the water pump, and the top plus that I had plugged with a hex plug. I reapplied teflon tape to the hose nipple, and attempted to remove the plug at the top of the water pump. It turned about 2 times, and then the plug gave... now the 3/8" is too small, and the plug is in there tight.. anyone have suggestions for removing this thing???
Old 12-26-2008, 08:26 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,978 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Pull the pump off the motor, have someone apply a spot weld on your allen wrench to the plug (with a TIG machine for max heat) and it will come right out.

Rich
Old 12-26-2008, 08:27 PM
Mikey65
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
Pull the pump off the motor, have someone apply a spot weld on your allen wrench to the plug (with a TIG machine for max heat) and it will come right out.

Rich
I already thought of that =) ... I was hoping for something that might work without pulling the pump off?
Old 12-26-2008, 09:18 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,978 Likes on 1,059 Posts

If you have availability to the TIG you can do it on the car. Won't hurt anything. Once one of those plugs rounds out on the allen area you are pretty well screwed. Unless you can drill it out successfully and use an easy out. Lots of grease on the drill bit helps catch the chips. IF you have a left hand bit it also helps.

Good luck with it. I don't envy you trying it still mounted on the motor. Labor to R&R the pump is minimal. Might even be faster than trying to monkey di#k it on the car.

Rich
Old 12-26-2008, 11:26 PM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Any heat on the pump will wreck the seals. You could weld the tool on as sugested. If you don't have a welder, just drive the car there and have them weld it on, then drive it home and remove it.

I would not fart with drilling it out, for the time, effort and brain damage, just pull the pump and buy a new one for 28.00.

Mark
Old 12-26-2008, 11:28 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Have you tried to use a metric allen key in the hole?
Old 12-26-2008, 11:30 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The other thing you might try is to cut a slot across the hole with a dremel and use a large flathead screw driver or a flat piece of steel to turn it out.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:51 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

I've done some amazing things with 'Knock Er Loose' penetrating oil, some heat and large vice grips (if you can clamp them on to the problem bolt!)... If the bolt is located in a depression you will have to use one of the suggestions above..
Old 12-27-2008, 07:19 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by KC John
Have you tried to use a metric allen key in the hole?
You may have to dress the sides a little and cut a taper on the end. Then drive it in the plug and turn it out.

Or:

mix up some JB weld or similar and put it in the hex depression and then shove the allen wrench in after it. Let it harden. Turn the plug out.

Or:

Drill a hole between the plug and pump. Run the appropriate size sheet metal screw in the hole. Turn the plug out. Dress up the buggered up pump with a little jb.

I don't really see anything wrong with mig welding the key to the plug if you lay wet rags around the repair to absorb the heat and catch weld spatter.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing a slightly rounded Hex Socket Plug

Quick Reply: Removing a slightly rounded Hex Socket Plug