C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1961 and gas odor

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 09:44 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Frank
same problem with my 62. gas expands in the tank from exhaust heat and/or slosh in the tank if it's filled too full and is forced out the vent hose
Bill
The following users liked this post:
Falcon (04-25-2021)
Old 03-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by wmf62
Frank
same problem with my 62. gas expands in the tank from exhaust heat and/or slosh in the tank if it's filled too full and is forced out the vent hose
Bill
Figured as much Bill - JB-Welded the gas cap vent tonight and will see if that helps. I also try not to top off the tank right to the brim.

You may remember the short hill down to the lakefront at my house when you stopped by....that's where (when leaving) I get the 'gas attack'....may just have to live with it...
Old 03-27-2009, 11:23 PM
goodwood67
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same gas odor on a 62 I had many
years ago. I pulled the tank out and found a
bunch of pinholes.I repaired it by painting the
tank with a couple of coats of POR 15.
I sold the car shortly afterwards so I don't
know how well it held up.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:24 PM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Have had the same prob with my '62 for years...but I have no "sense of smell", so it doesn't bother me; unfortunately, a local (Allegheny County/Collier Twp.) LEO just lost his job because he had no sense of smell and it was determined that he was unable to detect hazardous materials
Old 03-28-2009, 04:54 AM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet65te
Chris, do you happen to know who that company is that sells the non-vented cap...CST?
Looks like NAPA carries it. See:

http://www.napaonline.com/NOLPPSE/(S...205_0229617602

Their catalog says its a Stant 10810.

Autozone has it too. See:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...questid=282920

Looks like itonly costs $5.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:39 AM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

On my father's list of problems with his brand-new '59:

"fuel spurts out of tank on sharp right turns"

So, a car with all new parts still has the problem.

I will try putting a loop in the vent hose if I ever reassemble it.

Last edited by mashinter; 03-28-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:42 AM
Dave K.
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget after all the hoses and conections are tight, to reseal the lid over the tank also. Go to a Lowes and get the finger putty that is used to weatherstrip windows and doors. It comes in a roll for around $7 (my memory) that has a about 4-6 strands of 1/4" wide dum-dum type grayish/white looking putty. I used double layers in some spots. I had everything new in my '62, except the tank itself, and still had some gas odor. After sealing it like the factory did, I no longer had any odors.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Jim Dillon
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I have owned the black car since 1977 and for most of those years I put up with the odor thinking it was just one of those quirks of the car. I had tried to rid the odor with little useless repairs none of which worked for me. About 4 years ago I tried again and found a pin hole in the tank so I replaced the tank and vent hose etc. It still had the odor on turns and when the tank was full, and I drove it another year with the odor. Three years ago I bought a brand new cap from one of the Corvette suppliers, that is the silver cad cap in the pics on the left. It is a vented Stant cap. When it did not solve the problem I drove to the auto parts store and bought one of their caps to give it a try, that being the gold cad cap on the right, also a vented Stant cap. Since then I have never had the odor even on a hard turn with a full tank. The cap fits very tight but also note that the rubber gasket takes up the whole area rather than only a portion with the silver cap.

It may not solve your odor problem but it thankfully solved mine. -Jim

Old 03-28-2009, 10:55 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Dillon
I have owned the black car since 1977 and for most of those years I put up with the odor thinking it was just one of those quirks of the car. ...Three years ago I bought a brand new cap from one of the Corvette suppliers, that is the silver cad cap in the pics on the left. It is a vented Stant cap. When it did not solve the problem I drove to the auto parts store and bought one of their caps to give it a try, that being the gold cad cap on the right, also a vented Stant cap. Since then I have never had the odor even on a hard turn with a full tank. ...
Jim that's a great story, but shouldn't the cap be non-vented? Since the tank has a vent hose, I'm thinking adding a vented cap would be bad. I know I just yesterday discovered that the bottom of my locking gas cap on my 62 says 'vented', and my 62 has had a gas smell every time I've driven it.

In fact, I would suggest that if the parts store version is vented but fixed the smell, the vented feature is probably broken on yours.

Last edited by 62Jeff; 03-28-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Jim Dillon
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Jeff you may be right but look in the Corvette Central catalog and I believe they show the vented cap. That is where I bought the silver cad cap. I have driven the car quite a bit in the past three years with the gold cad cap with no odor and no issues so I think I will stick with what works (until someone points out what crisis I am facing if I leave it on).I do not believe the vented feature is broken-everything is new. On mine the ONLY reason for the smell was that gas was escaping from where the neck meets the cap.-Jim

Last edited by Jim Dillon; 03-28-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:07 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Jeff you may be right but look in the Corvette Central catalog and I believe they show the vented cap. That is where I bought the silver cad cap. I have driven the car quite a bit in the past three years with the gold cad cap with no odor and no issues so I think I will stick with what works (until someone points out what crisis I am facing if I leave it on).-Jim
If it works, I don't disagree with your approach.

Yes, Corvette Central is selling a Vented cap, however JohnZ clarified a non-vented cap was used through 62, in the thread by Top Flight Reproductions when they introduced their repro cap.

All that really means to me, is that I'm going to go look for a non-vented, locking cap at my local FLAPS today for my 62.

Last edited by 62Jeff; 03-28-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:48 AM
vetrod62
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

When I bought my red car in 1966 it had the gas smell problem. All I did then was to double up the gaskets on the non-vented cap. Problem solved. Last fall the gaskets finally broke. I tried every where to find a non-vented cap, no luck. I finally bought a vented cap of the right size and threw out the cap. I put the new gasket with a rubber ring I cut from an old inner tube under it to increase sealing pressure, on the old cap, and now everything smells right with the world again.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I have owned the black car since 1977 and for most of those years I put up with the odor thinking it was just one of those quirks of the car. I had tried to rid the odor with little useless repairs none of which worked for me. About 4 years ago I tried again and found a pin hole in the tank so I replaced the tank and vent hose etc. It still had the odor on turns and when the tank was full, and I drove it another year with the odor. Three years ago I bought a brand new cap from one of the Corvette suppliers, that is the silver cad cap in the pics on the left. It is a vented Stant cap. When it did not solve the problem I drove to the auto parts store and bought one of their caps to give it a try, that being the gold cad cap on the right, also a vented Stant cap. Since then I have never had the odor even on a hard turn with a full tank. The cap fits very tight but also note that the rubber gasket takes up the whole area rather than only a portion with the silver cap.

It may not solve your odor problem but it thankfully solved mine. -Jim
The one on the right is the exact cap I'm running -- its no longer vented thanks to some JB Weld applied last night...if that doesn't finish off the odor then I think I'll get creative with the gas cap gasket. I'm thinking a hard right turn up a hill with a full tank might cause fuel to come out the cap but it would be a stretch for it to come out the vent hose...we'll see.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

And the winner is::::::62RDSTR. At least for part of the problem anyway. The cheesy weld around the gas filler neck inside the gas cap cavity is definitely one source of a leak/smell. After increasing the gasket on the gas cap to where its an effort to put it on AND blocking off the gas cap vent....I still get wetness down along the lower filler tube on hard turns. Can't swear the rubber vent hose isn't still an issue...but for sure the filler neck weld is....
Old 03-29-2009, 03:52 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by fdreano
The cheesy weld around the gas filler neck inside the gas cap cavity is definitely one source of a leak/smell. After increasing the gasket on the gas cap to where its an effort to put it on AND blocking off the gas cap vent....I still get wetness down along the lower filler tube on hard turns.
Is your filler neck a repo.?
Old 03-29-2009, 03:57 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

From everything that I've read, no question that the cap should be non vented.
I took the incorrect vented cap off my car and went into a Pep boys or Autozone that sold Stant. I found a dimensionally identical non vented cap, about $6 IIRC.
I also have no sense of smell, but my GF says the cap greatly reduced the gas odor, from the car that is.

Paul
Old 03-29-2009, 04:52 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by 1snake
Is your filler neck a repo.?
I never replaced it but I'd be willing to bet some previous owner probably has. You can actually run your finger around the weld an inch or so down the neck and feel how uneven it is. I JB-Welded it for now but next time I'm in the gas tank compartment I will replace it if I find a better repro unit...

Get notified of new replies

To 1961 and gas odor

Old 03-29-2009, 04:58 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

That explains it. The originals (at least on my 60) are one piece. No welds (or lack of them) to leak. Glad you found the problem.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:59 PM
62RDSTR
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fdreano
And the winner is::::::62RDSTR. At least for part of the problem anyway. The cheesy weld around the gas filler neck inside the gas cap cavity is definitely one source of a leak/smell. After increasing the gasket on the gas cap to where its an effort to put it on AND blocking off the gas cap vent....I still get wetness down along the lower filler tube on hard turns. Can't swear the rubber vent hose isn't still an issue...but for sure the filler neck weld is....
I've purchased two different repro filler necks from Zip & Paragon and both exhibit same issue. I used JB weld around the weld area to seal it. If you or someone you know can weld, a bead around the outside would work good. If you know of a different manufacturer that may help but my guess is all vendors use the same POS manufacturer.

Glad I could help.

Jim
Old 03-30-2009, 03:51 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Just got a NAPA part #703-1205 non-vented, very tight fitting gas cap. It has a nice fat gasket. Its not '61 correct but I think this may just finish off my gas odor problem.

Quick Reply: 1961 and gas odor