C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How to remove the Steering Box?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 12:10 AM
MosportGreen66
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default How to remove the Steering Box?

Need to pull the steering box on the 66 L72 to detail it again. I think I know how to do it, but before I screw something up I'd like some reassurance. Can someone please post detailed instructions on how to remove and reinstall the steering box and any problems that usually occur when you remove it? Also with it out, is it recommended to change anything or inspect anything?

Thanks in advance,

-Dave
Old 03-30-2009, 08:54 AM
VinceP
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post

How much play do you have?I just replaced my box it was very loose and had been adjusted before. On my car the box has 3 bolts that hold it to the frame.Leave the pittmen arm on when taking off.The coupler was the part I was confussed about at frist I thought the box was held on with studs so I split the coupler getting the steering back to the right postion I had to pull the steering column back to get into the 12 o'clock postion. You do have manual steering??? If you need to get the box rebuilt it will cost .I called a place and they gave a est of $300-$700. If the gears are shot $700.I end getting a rebuilt from Duntov Motors for $250.Good Luck....Vince
Old 03-30-2009, 12:10 PM
MosportGreen66
Melting Slicks

I have manual steering. The box does not need to be rebuilt. Just a cosmetic detail.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 03-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Remove the three carriage bolts from the frame. Loosen one of the bolts on the column (I did the one closest to the box) and slide the column out a little to be able to swing the box away from the frame. Before you slide the column, mark it so that it goes back on the spline in the same spot. Mark it well, since your mark may get erased like mine almost did. You may also remove the box/pitman from the steering rod if working on a bench. I didn't since my engine was out.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:35 PM
MosportGreen66
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Astrodokk
Remove the three carriage bolts from the frame. Loosen one of the bolts on the column (I did the one closest to the box) and slide the column out a little to be able to swing the box away from the frame. Before you slide the column, mark it so that it goes back on the spline in the same spot. Mark it well, since your mark may get erased like mine almost did. You may also remove the box/pitman from the steering rod if working on a bench. I didn't since my engine was out.
Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To How to remove the Steering Box?

Quick Reply: How to remove the Steering Box?