C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

My '67 Vert Budget Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 07:29 PM
rbwamsley
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
Not sure which side of town you're on....but there is an absolutely fantastic bunch of guys that are part of this group. Notice it's not a club...clubs have rules! Most are on the north side..spring cypress to 1488..but we have some out on Sugarland and Kema area too. They have tons of resources and all love to pitch in to help. Check them out!

http://www.nwhoustonvette-rods.com/
The vette is at my Dad's house on the west side of Houston at I-10 & Beltway 8.

Thanks for the link. You may be getting a PM from me if we get if we get stuck on something.

Blake
Old 06-07-2009, 08:40 PM
rbwamsley
Instructor

Default Update

We got the engine out this weekend and started removing a bunch of other things from the engine bay. The engine casting number says that it is a 64-67 327 2 bolt. The engine stamp number is 6101643 F092IHE I am not sure what it means though; can anyone help here? It's pretty much clean, but we are going to clean it some more and then maybe start painting the engine bay next weekend.

I also had a question about the wiring harness; we are going to order an engine and head lamps harness from Letric Limited, I talked to their support and they said that it plugs in to the fuse box which is fine. I am wondering if the other wires that come out of the firewall near the wiper motor are includeded with the harness. Does anyone know? See the last pic for what I am talking about.

On to the pics.

Up and out...

Casting numbers

Other numbers

Tons o' parts

Me cleaning away

Our rig for staying out of the sun

Un-routing more wires

Both inner and outer heater/evaporator boxes out. What a pain in the @&*

Gunk engine cleaner and a power washer does worlds...

Last edited by rbwamsley; 06-07-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:47 PM
kimo1965
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I also had a question about the wiring harness; we are going to order an engine and head lamps harness from Letric Limited, I talked to their support and they said that it plugs in to the fuse box which is fine. I am wondering if the other wires that come out of the firewall near the wiper motor are includeded with the harness. Does anyone know? See the last pic for what I am talking about.

Blake, the wires I believe you are talking about which come out of the firewall close to the wiper motor are part of the instrument panel harness, and come out to the wiper motor, ballast resistor, etc. If you are not replacing that one also, just reuse it and plug everything back the way it came apart (assuming it was plugged up correctly and not butchered up. The Lectric Limited harnesses you are buying will plug right in and are routed righto to the places they plug into. You guys look like you are having fun. I gave my dad a 62 corvette for father's day a few years ago and we have a ball together! I have a video of when I gave it to him and if I can figure out how to put it on U-Tube I will post here someday. Keep up the great work! Jim
Old 06-07-2009, 09:51 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That's a 66 block dated Sept. 21, 1966 300 HP w/manual trans. out of the 1643rd 66 Vette of the line.

Looking good. Thanks for the update on your progress.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:18 AM
rbwamsley
Instructor

Originally Posted by kimo1965
Blake, the wires I believe you are talking about which come out of the firewall close to the wiper motor are part of the instrument panel harness, and come out to the wiper motor, ballast resistor, etc. If you are not replacing that one also, just reuse it and plug everything back the way it came apart (assuming it was plugged up correctly and not butchered up. The Lectric Limited harnesses you are buying will plug right in and are routed righto to the places they plug into. You guys look like you are having fun. I gave my dad a 62 corvette for father's day a few years ago and we have a ball together! I have a video of when I gave it to him and if I can figure out how to put it on U-Tube I will post here someday. Keep up the great work! Jim
Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by stingrayl76
That's a 66 block dated Sept. 21, 1966 300 HP w/manual trans. out of the 1643rd 66 Vette of the line.

Looking good. Thanks for the update on your progress.
Wow, all that from the stamp code. Can you tell me how you found that out? Is there a way to get the VIN number of that number car off the assembly line? I would like to try to find the car that the block goes into to potentially help the owner make it numbers matching.

Thanks,
Blake

Last edited by rbwamsley; 06-08-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:54 AM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rbwamsley
Thanks for the info.

Wow, all that from the stamp code. Can you tell me how you found that out? Is there a way to get the VIN number of that number car off the assembly line? I would like to try to find the car that the block goes into to potentially help the owner make it numbers matching.

Thanks,
Blake
Blake,

If the engine is out of a coupe, the VIN will be 194376S101643 and it is out of a convertible it will be 194676S101643.

As for deciphering the numbers on the engine stamp pad (6101643 F092IHE):
6101643----6 is the model year and 1643 is the sequential VIN. The VIN numbers start at 100001 for all midyear Vettes.

F=Flint Engine Plant
092I=Sept.21
HE=300 HP w/manual trans

3858174 is the 327 block casting number used in 66 Vettes.

The NCRS has a tremendous collection of reference material for sale on their website www.ncrs.org. The information that I gave you came from the NCRS Pocket Spec Guide and Mike Antonick's "Corvette Black Book".
Also, check out these sites:
http://www.nastyz28.com/sbchevy/sblock.php
http://www.mortec.com/castnum.htm
http://www.teufert.net/sbchevy/sbchevy.htm
http://lbfun.com/Corvette/Tech/vettetech.html

Interesting note. I happen to have a Vette with the stamp pad exactly one year prior to yours.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:37 PM
rbwamsley
Instructor

We got a lot of cleaning, sanding, and grinding done this weekend. It was a lot of work, but I think it will pay off end.

Also, I dont know if you can really call this a budget rebuild anymore. I talked my Dad into the Vette Brakes performance plus suspension system. So, we will be ordering that kit and a new calipers and master cylinder kit from them in the next couple weeks.

In the third pic from the bottom, does any one know what the 294 stands for that is on the pass. side firewall?

Old 06-14-2009, 10:54 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 381 Likes on 267 Posts

Its your job number, should also find it other places on the car, most easily found is on the doors, have you taken the door panels of yet?

Tom M
Old 06-14-2009, 11:04 PM
rbwamsley
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom McCabe
Its your job number, should also find it other places on the car, most easily found is on the doors, have you taken the door panels of yet?

Tom M
Oh cool, thanks for the info. We have not taken off the door panels yet.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:17 PM
Gman58
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Good Project

Great progress on your car keep posting the photos. Thanks Greg
Old 07-12-2009, 09:58 PM
rbwamsley
Instructor

We got the engine bay all painted and some of the new suspension installed. Things seem like they are going slow, but hey, we are making progress. Here are the pics.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:01 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default Ttt

Man looking good just take it slow and the job will tune out better. Dont worry about how long it takes you, it will be pay off in the end...
Old 07-12-2009, 11:49 PM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

Looks like things are coming along nicely. Enjoy, and happy driving.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:19 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Is there another way to tell what engine the car came without the tank sheet?

Yes, the battery is on the driver's side. The speedo and red line on the tach also tell if it was a big block car, right? The speedo goes to 160 and I cannot remember the red line off hand.
If the front end is original to the car and the innerfenders have not been changed, that was a BB car.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:57 AM
tdg01
Advanced

Thanks for the info.

Thanks,
Blake
I'm missing the original block from my '66, sorry to report my VIN and your motor are off by 100 or so. Dang!

Thanks for the progress reports, I am enjoying following this thread...

Tim
Old 07-14-2009, 10:44 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by kimo1965

MAN DONT GO BY WHAT JIM IS TELLING YOU, HE HAS NEVER BEEN IN A VETTE BEFOR. JIM HOW IS THE WHITE CAR COMING ALONG. MAN LOVE LITTLE BLUE.IF EVER DOWN THIS WAY CALL, ARE IF YOU GO TO THE CAR SHOW IN KY ON THE LAST SAT OF EVER MONTH CALL ME.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:42 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

This is a great story, keep posting with details. Your work progression and scope of things is classic, "project creep". You'll love the results. Dennis

Get notified of new replies

To My '67 Vert Budget Rebuild

Old 07-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very very very nice work you guys are doing. That's going to be a sharp looking car in the end.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:49 AM
rbwamsley
Instructor

This weekend we got all the suspension installed and a couple other odds and ends. We tried to install the battery tray, but we could not get it to fit. We would get the bolts in on one side of the frame, and then the holes on the other side were about a inch off. I think it got bent some how, so a new one is being sent to us.

We did some cutting on the lower bumper support bars to get them to fit with the Vette Brakes mono spring, but we did not get a chance to re-install them yet. I will get pics of that when we have them finished.

Next weekend we are going to tackle rebuilding the a/c and heater boxes. I am not looking forward to it, but hey, it has to be done.

Here are the pics.

Blake
Old 07-20-2009, 10:47 PM
Engine Doctor
Intermediate

Very sweet ride

Quick Reply: My '67 Vert Budget Rebuild