C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Dipstick question for 7 qt. oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 03:54 AM
mechron
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

OBX2323 and everybody else, UPDATE. i pulled up to DOKK's house with my pan this morning(which is exactly the same as his, but mine is chrome to increase the bling factor ) we dumped 2 gals. of water in and it was obvious to us that was to high, it was way over the trap door and the baffels. next we put 6 quarts of water in the seven quart pan, it was exactly right (6 qts. in the pan 1 qt. in the filter) DOKK, we only had 8 qts. in your engine, we were only talking about 9 or 10, i was obvious wrong.... so we drained 1 qt. to bring it to 7, no regester on the stick.

we slapped on the tires and took it off the jackstands and headed to the muffler shop and to mount his hooker sidepipes, he only had them clamped to the headers. i said "dokk, those side pipes may fall off" sure enough the passenger side fell off about 1/2 way to the shop and he ran over it with his rear tire, DOKK freaked out when the rear end jumped into the air. DOKK said "WHAT WAS THAT???" i said "DOKK, you just lost the PS sidepipe" he pulled over and the side pipe was laying in the middle of the street about 75 yards behind the car, other cars were going around it. AMAZINGLY the pipe didn't even have a scratch on it (it'S A MIRACLE) only the 2 mounting tabs got bent when DOKK ran over it.

SO, we made it to the muffler shop, he was quoted $85 for the job on the phone a couple of days before. as soon as we pulled up they layed out ramps to put the vette on the lift, i explained to the owner exactly how we wanted them mounted. 2 guys took 2 hours to do the job (DOKK, that is 4 flat rate hours) for $ 85 they lost money on your car. DOKK paid the ori KONIgonal quote for the job. of course they were fart cans on honda's and giant 3 inch muflers on deisleies.

ANYWAY, DOKK had a blast driveing his car today, it runs clean and fast, he was getting scatch out of the corners . DOKK, you know your engine, now buy those KONI's to fix the bouce on the rear suspention, koni shocks are the shiznet. they will stop all that bouncing in the rear and turn your car into a road race car. DOKK as a noob i know you are into . drag racing, but these are road racing cars. it's to late, later
Old 07-09-2009, 06:23 AM
obx2323
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mechron
obx 2323, no, i'm saying 9 guarts will be at the add one mark on the stick, DOKK will have plenty of oil and will be well below the crank. DOKK, i'll bring my pan over and we will fill it with 2 gals of water, then add one quart. my pan is chromed so it will not rust.

OBX, bring more than $10 bucks, after all this is nor-cal. bring enough bucks to see our cars, subway sanwiches cost 7 bucks, soda's cost 1,50. you can prbably stay at DOKK,s mansion. but you can't stay at at my cabin that has a huge garage.
I've been to the Left Coast before and $10, LOL. I'm pretty much a reformed Redneck so the Dokk's Mansion will be OK but the cabin would be nice, why not?? Did I mention E-Dawg (avatar) insist on coming too? He'd much prefer the cabin too. Something about yellow on marble floors he said.

I've never ran over my muffler but I did run run over my own foot one time racing. All my buddy's thought that was funny, were you laughing when DOKK SP fell off?? Should have just wrap a few ropes completely around the car, sometimes Bubba moves work good

DOKK I really enjoyed my 4.11 rear after we built my 350 UNTIL that last burn out, case, back plate, everything blown, cooled my jets quick.

Last edited by obx2323; 07-09-2009 at 06:55 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:40 AM
mechron
Drifting

OBX2323, i was laughing my ars off while DOKK was freaking out. after all. you do not run over your'e own side pipe every day!!!. we saw 6 cop cars on the way to the muffler shop, more than i have seen here in 3 months. and none of them bothered us. it was a good day, DOKK was racing around in his new 383 stroker racing engine in his 65, 4 speed coupe with 4.11s in the rear. it was a good day, a day DOKK will remember " and me too" , DOKK was laying scratch with his custom built 383. we were driving with the hood off as all good hotroders do. DOKK had a blast today, his engine runs sweet . i had a blast just sitting in the passengers seat.

you and your dog are welcome here , you're dog looks cool, but it will cost $1 for your dog to hang out in my back yard. DOKK, being the cheapo, he is will problobly want $2 to let your dog swim in his pool.

anyway, today was a great day. speeding around in a 65 4speed vette, dodgeing cops with the hood off. haveing the pipe fall of. it just doesn't get much better than that. thanks DOKK, it was a blast, i really enjoyed watching you freak out, and the smile on your face when you put"the pedal to the floor"
Old 07-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Update for youse running 7 qt. hammerhaed pans...

As mechron so eloquently stated, we placed 2 gals. (8 qts.) of water into his pan and saw that it was WAY over what it should be.
obx2323, be careful with that. You may churn up air froth into the oil and that won't lubricate. The water was way over the baffle and too high in the pan as well.
We dumped the water and accurately measured 6 qts. of water again into the pan and this time it was at the proper level just at the top edge of the baffle. Asuuming one quart in the filter, this is indeed a 7 qt. pan AND...that damn dipstick is way off!!!
But...mechrom gets the credit for this ingenious fix that nobody has thought of so far so he's gonna patent it as intellectual property. We're gonna cut 1 1/2" of the "TUBE"! That will allow the stick to sit at the proper marking level, and also allow the tube to sit lower (I thought it looked too high where it is now anyway). Careful with these generic after market China made dipsticks guys. Just for the hell of it, as a concerned Corvette enthusiast, I will purchase another aftermarket dipstick AND a GM one and see how they fit. I'll report here later. OUT.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Astrodokk
As mechron so eloquently stated, we placed 2 gals. (8 qts.) of water into his pan and saw that it was WAY over what it should be.
obx2323, be careful with that. You may churn up air froth into the oil and that won't lubricate. The water was way over the baffle and too high in the pan as well.
We dumped the water and accurately measured 6 qts. of water again into the pan and this time it was at the proper level just at the top edge of the baffle. Asuuming one quart in the filter, this is indeed a 7 qt. pan AND...that damn dipstick is way off!!!
But...mechrom gets the credit for this ingenious fix that nobody has thought of so far so he's gonna patent it as intellectual property. We're gonna cut 1 1/2" of the "TUBE"! That will allow the stick to sit at the proper marking level, and also allow the tube to sit lower (I thought it looked too high where it is now anyway). Careful with these generic after market China made dipsticks guys. Just for the hell of it, as a concerned Corvette enthusiast, I will purchase another aftermarket dipstick AND a GM one and see how they fit. I'll report here later. OUT.
Think I told you you need a dipstick about 2" longer than the old one. But who reads my posts anyway!
Old 07-09-2009, 07:35 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Old 07-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

Ken,
I did read your post about needing a 2" longer stick than the old one. But I thought you meant the real "old" one, which was the driver's side 350 one. I did get a "new" stick for the passenger side 1 piece rear seal 350 block, the newer late 80's "chebby" as you put it, but THAT one is still about 1 1/2" too short. So even asking for the correct model was not correct in the stick.
Man, I'm giving myself a headache. I've got it solved so that's the important thing. Now I'm gonna replace that bouncy spring back there with the one you gave me, Ken, and if the shocks don't cut it, I'm going with mechron's KONI's
Old 07-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Ken,
I did read your post about needing a 2" longer stick than the old one. But I thought you meant the real "old" one, which was the driver's side 350 one. I did get a "new" stick for the passenger side 1 piece rear seal 350 block, the newer late 80's "chebby" as you put it, but THAT one is still about 1 1/2" too short. So even asking for the correct model was not correct in the stick.
Man, I'm giving myself a headache. I've got it solved so that's the important thing. Now I'm gonna replace that bouncy spring back there with the one you gave me, Ken, and if the shocks don't cut it, I'm going with mechron's KONI's
That isn't correct. You know I have a 383 stroker with a 80s block, one piece seal, dipstick on the passenger side just like yours. I have a 5 quart pan and a 1 quart filter. I changed the oil with Shell Rotella-T and it took 1 quart that I poured into the filter before I put it on, and 5 quarts into the pan. That is a total of 6 quarts. I check the oil, it's right on the full line. It's a NAPA dipstick and tube. It's 2" longer than the original. Your motor is no different. Someone sold you a pre-80 dipstick and tube. OR, you didn't get the tube inserted all the way in. I just can't believe all the BS for a dipstick! They only make 2 kinds for these motors. pre 80 driver side, post 80 passenger side.

Last edited by Kensmith; 07-09-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:59 AM
mechron
Drifting

Originally Posted by Randy G.
funny post randy. i just may have to slap DOKK with one of his dipsticks. to teach him a lesson.

GUYS, and ken, this measurement only has to be done 1 time. it is not a pain and we know EXACTLY where we ar at, we did the same thing establishing TRUE TDC. establishing the cam timing, the exact compression ratio and quinch, DOKK now knows his engine like no one else. (exept me). KEN, when i built old gassers i would weld a stock pan sump on to the bottom of the 6 quart vette pan with the trap door, it would = 10 qts. i had to modify the stock stick to read right. maybe DOKK will come over and snap a pic of my modded oil pan and post it . i still have my old 60s gasser, now restored...in the old days the wheelies were insane (holy crap) the car would the front tires off the pavment would just any way if i was lined perfictly. as DOKK says "that's my limey tasxy
Old 07-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I see, you have a custom oil pan on Carlos' car? But, the dipstick does not care how deep or wide the oil pan is. It has 2 purposes, one to measure the distance from a given point on the block to the oil level and 2nd to give you information that distance is correct when oil is in the pan. It should have no bearing on size of the oil pan, only height of oil relative to the block. But I see your point in wanting to know the capacity of the pan. Sounds like you guys are having fun and bet the beers were helping.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:09 AM
mechron
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kensmith
I see, you have a custom oil pan on Carlos' car? But, the dipstick does not care how deep or wide the oil pan is. It has 2 purposes, one to measure the distance from a given point on the block to the oil level and 2nd to give you information that distance is correct when oil is in the pan. It should have no bearing on size of the oil pan, only height of oil relative to the block. But I see your point in wanting to know the capacity of the pan. Sounds like you guys are having fun and bet the beers were helping.
KENSMITH, you do indeed see. your post is the best one i've read for a long time, i think DOKK will agree with me. as for his 383 stoker, he has pulled parts from all over. built the engine himself, and it runs li
Old 07-11-2009, 03:24 AM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

Default Solved!

Here's the solution...

Old 07-11-2009, 07:02 AM
obx2323
Pro

OBX2323, i was laughing my ars off while DOKK was freaking out. after all. you do not run over your'e own side pipe every day!!!. we saw 6 cop cars on the way to the muffler shop, more than i have seen here in 3 months. and none of them bothered us. it was a good day, DOKK was racing around in his new 383 stroker racing engine in his 65, 4 speed coupe with 4.11s in the rear. it was a good day, a day DOKK will remember " and me too" , DOKK was laying scratch with his custom built 383. we were driving with the hood off as all good hotroders do. DOKK had a blast today, his engine runs sweet . i had a blast just sitting in the passengers seat.

you and your dog are welcome here , you're dog looks cool, but it will cost $1 for your dog to hang out in my back yard. DOKK, being the cheapo, he is will problobly want $2 to let your dog swim in his pool.

anyway, today was a great day. speeding around in a 65 4speed vette, dodgeing cops with the hood off. haveing the pipe fall of. it just doesn't get much better than that. thanks DOKK, it was a blast, i really enjoyed watching you freak out, and the smile on your face when you put"the pedal to the floor"

You're gonna charge Elvis to stay????????? You're kidding. He's made all the local papers end even the front page when we were out of town last year. You may want reconsider as his pawnatures actually have value. You should see him in my '65, lots of thumbs up from everybody. I'll give you a mulligan on that as Elvis isn't privey to it.

DOKK I bet you had the stance of a Roman Senator when the oil pan/DS went in your favor. It's hard to be humble when we rookies actually think outside the box with these professionals..!!

Last edited by obx2323; 07-11-2009 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:26 AM
mechron
Drifting

Originally Posted by obx2323
You're gonna charge Elvis to stay????????? You're kidding. He's made all the local papers end even the front page when we were out of town last year. You may want reconsider as his pawnatures actually have value. You should see him in my '65, lots of thumbs up from everybody. I'll give you a mulligan on that as Elvis isn't privey to it.

DOKK I bet you had the stance of a Roman Senator when the oil pan/DS went in your favor. It's hard to be humble when we rookies actually think outside the box with these professionals..!!

OBX, DOKK as the student he has tought me twice today, that newb has become the teacher (i will get even with him). in his studies he even knew something i didn't. but i know about the black/white checkers on the crossed flag emblems and DOKK doesn't.

OBX2323, i am going to mess with DOKK bigtime today and blame it all on your post (why should DOKK get all the grief,) we are going to a car show today with his hood-off hot rod.

i have insomnia, so i wouldn't even be posting this otherwise, OBX, don't mess with me, i hang out in OT!!! (the off topic section of the forum). i can eat you alive with insults!!!

OBX2323, i'm glad you have kept reading this thread, i hope you have learned, no offence is intended here in my post, i just figured i would include you with DOKK..

elvis (i take it that's what your dog's name is) will still have to pay $1 to stay in my shack. DOKK will probably charge you $3 to let elvis swim in his pool, and i would guess about $6 to let your dog chase his cat around....

fly on out and have fun with us, bring elvis (your dog), but bring plenty of money if your dog want's to have fun..: thumbs:

sorry DOKK. this thread has gotten totally off subject, but i think we both have answered your question.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:31 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Here's the solution...

Way too short
Old 07-11-2009, 09:45 AM
mechron
Drifting

Here's the solution...

FUNNY POST DOKK... that's your 5 foot long motor home dickstip (holy cows, i have been saying that for a week, now i'm spelling it!!!). that dickstip will read 27 quarts over full with only 2 quarts in the pan.... i know we solved your problem before you posted that pic.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:44 AM
obx2323
Pro

OBX, DOKK as the student he has tought me twice today, that newb has become the teacher (i will get even with him). in his studies he even knew something i didn't. but i know about the black/white checkers on the crossed flag emblems and DOKK doesn't.

OBX2323, i am going to mess with DOKK bigtime today and blame it all on your post (why should DOKK get all the grief,) we are going to a car show today with his hood-off hot rod.

i have insomnia, so i wouldn't even be posting this otherwise, OBX, don't mess with me, i hang out in OT!!! (the off topic section of the forum). i can eat you alive with insults!!!

OBX2323, i'm glad you have kept reading this thread, i hope you have learned, no offence is intended here in my post, i just figured i would include you with DOKK..

elvis (i take it that's what your dog's name is) will still have to pay $1 to stay in my shack. DOKK will probably charge you $3 to let elvis swim in his pool, and i would guess about $6 to let your dog chase his cat around....

fly on out and have fun with us, bring elvis (your dog), but bring plenty of money if your dog want's to have fun..: thumbs:

sorry DOKK. this thread has gotten totally off subject, but i think we both have answered your question.
All right I've been warned no heat on you nor DOKK from here.

E-Dawg chase a cat? You'd be lucky if he even looked up. You'd have to tie a piece of meat on the cat before he'd consider expanding such a vaste amount energy on such a creature. Elvis stated that, maybe he'll just hang here with my other 2 Bassets, Clyde and Earl

I spent a week in Frisco and The Wine Country a few years ago, so I can go with the flow on all the surcharges, nice place if you're loaded. Sold a rocket scientist an ocean front home and he offered up baby daughter as a token of his appreciation and that's where she lived, she even sent me the tickets for the flight. That ain't no Redneck story that starts with "you ain't gonna believe this s#@t." She was hot too 5' 10" with a body Fisher couldn't have built better, should have married her, she asked me too.

Where did those days go..............?????????

Last edited by obx2323; 07-12-2009 at 01:54 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Dipstick question for 7 qt. oil pan

Old 07-12-2009, 07:18 AM
mechron
Drifting

obx2323, see my post above about his car and the little car show we attended. we had hamburgers at the show they were great. we could attatch a burger to DOKKs cat, and ELVIS could chase him around. but he won't catch him. we both live in the wine country in nor-cal, it is great out here...
Old 07-12-2009, 10:43 AM
obx2323
Pro

obx2323, see my post above about his car and the little car show we attended. we had hamburgers at the show they were great. we could attatch a burger to DOKKs cat, and ELVIS could chase him around. but he won't catch him. we both live in the wine country in nor-cal, it is great out here...
I'm afraid E-Dawg has seen his best chasing years, he was 14 June 25th and still is healthy. I just took him for his ck-up and my Veternarian is amazed at how healthy he is but he ain't got much trot left in him. Now Clyde would bay (not bark) the cat into submission or he may very well wind with a steak from you to shut him up, LOL.

I was totally awed driving up the coast and over into Napa Valley. My honey kept saying don't you wanna do something besides drive, nope I just wanna look. She was a Winery Tour Guide so I got into places that were not open to everybody, even got into Mario's Winery and some guys private car collection. Had a blast but the Right Coast was calling so she followed me back. I put her on the side of the road selling shrimp out of the back of my truck for the summer no kidding..!! She was happy making 2K a week and working on her tan. That gal sold alot of shrimp, I guess the 38Cs went along way with the Tourons.

Last edited by obx2323; 07-12-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:23 PM
64moneypitbutloveit
5th Gear

putting a 383 in my 64 with power steering. I have a moroso 20205 oil pan on it. im about to receive the engine from the builder and the installer was concerned that the pan interfere with the steering rods. it sounds like you have a 7 quart in yours. my understanding is that the moroso pan is a core pan with just the sump expanded to accommodate more oil. I would assume since it features the core dimensions up front near the steering, it wouldn't be an issue. what are your thoughts? what pan are you using? did you have any clearance issues? Thanks so much!
Tim

Quick Reply: Dipstick question for 7 qt. oil pan