C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Mid Year Clock Removal with Air

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 12:21 PM
SILENT BOB
Burning Brakes

Location: Tank sticker? I ain't got no tank sticker! I don't need no tank sticker! I don't have to show any stinking tank sticker!
Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Updated - Mid Year Clock Removal with Air

I had my mechanical clock renewed and reinstalled when the car dash was apart during restoration. When the car was finished, the clock worked for 2 weeks and died.

I'd like to take the dead clock out and replace the movement with a quartz unit.

What is the easiest way to remove the clock from the dash without removing the instrument cluster?

Details would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by SILENT BOB; 08-13-2009 at 01:30 PM. Reason: accuracy
Old 08-12-2009, 01:45 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 736 Likes on 456 Posts

Bob

You should be able to get the clock out by removing the radio side panels and reaching up to release the retaining clips that hold the clock in the dash recess. The attached pic should explain the process.
No need to remove the cluster!

Dave Z
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
65air_coupe (06-13-2017)
Old 08-12-2009, 02:08 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

I pull the Glove Box, (Easy to do). Al W.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:14 PM
crosskeystv
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Default try replacing the speaker in a mid year air car!!!

For the clock, Pull out the glove box reach in 2 clips, 2 light sockets and wire socket. easy to do. TRY replacing the speaker in a 63-67 with A/C, you will end up pulling the gauge cluster also and still a hard time. I have done it on 3 different A/C cars, and still it is a pain!
Old 08-12-2009, 05:11 PM
SILENT BOB
Burning Brakes

Location: Tank sticker? I ain't got no tank sticker! I don't need no tank sticker! I don't have to show any stinking tank sticker!

Originally Posted by DZVette
Bob

You should be able to get the clock out by removing the radio side panels and reaching up to release the retaining clips that hold the clock in the dash recess. The attached pic should explain the process.
No need to remove the cluster!

Dave Z
Dave

Do you know if both retaining clips can be removed through the right side radio panel area or does the left panel need to be removed too? The reason I ask is the car has the air conditioning duct behind the clock.

Presume small hands are better to get at the 2 retaining clips.

Thanks

Last edited by SILENT BOB; 08-12-2009 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Accuracy.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:03 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SILENT BOB
Dave

Do you know if both retaining clips can be removed through the right side radio panel area or does the left panel need to be removed too? The reason I ask is the car has the air conditioning duct behind the clock.

Presume small hands are better to get at the 2 retaining clips.

Thanks

I recently did this on someone else's A/C 65.

I'm pretty sure I did the following with both radio access panels removed.
  1. Remove right side clip from right side
  2. Remove left side clip from left side
  3. Withdraw clock
  4. Disconnect both bulbs and power connection

I have small hands and long fingers. I BELIEVE on my own 65 I did it all from the passenger side once, with the glovebox out.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:36 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 736 Likes on 456 Posts

Bob,

You might be able to reach the two clips with the glove box out. When I did mine, both panels were out as well as the glove box.

Give it a try with just the right side panel off. Feel around to see if you can find the driver side clip.

Good luck.

Dave Z
Old 08-12-2009, 09:58 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DZVette
Feel around to see if you can find the driver side clip.
Bob, just remember that the clips can be sharp.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:56 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

Remember, you'll be installing the Lights and Clips. Harder to do than Removal. (Pull the Box). Al W.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:02 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 67vetteal
Remember, you'll be installing the Lights and Clips. Harder to do than Removal. (Pull the Box). Al W.
Hi Al, on the 2 65 A/C cars I've messed with, I've been able to install the lights with the clock already hanging mostly out of the dash.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:47 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

I put a quartz movement in the clock of my 65 factory air coupe. I pulled the left and right side access panels off, to get at the clips. The whole job only took about 45 minutes from start to finish.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:59 AM
SILENT BOB
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the comments.

I'm ready to start the project - have bandaids at the ready.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:29 PM
SILENT BOB
Burning Brakes

The clock is out and I didn't need a transfusion.

I used the directions provided but also moved the radio to make it somewhat easier to remove the left clip.

As I noted earlier, the clock was restored using the mechanical movement. Upon inspection, the clock stopped working because the points were bunged up. Now that they are clean, the clock is running again. I have it on a charger to make sure the movement and points will run for more than 24 hours.

Going back to when the clock was restored and installed in the car, it gained 1 hour every 24 hours. The shop that did the restoration should be shot for not checking the accuracy.

I have adjusted the clock using the movement timing adjustment. It has slowed down a lot but will check it out after a couple of hours.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:50 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by 67vetteal
I pull the Glove Box, (Easy to do). Al W.
I think this is the easy way . . . .

Old 04-20-2012, 12:25 PM
John Pitta
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the clips off and all the connections off. The clock seems to be jammed between the holder with the three holes and the bottom of the speaker. I can't move the clock to the left or the right as the ridge on the three prong hold it too high. What have I done wrong.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:37 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by John Pitta
I have the clips off and all the connections off. The clock seems to be jammed between the holder with the three holes and the bottom of the speaker. I can't move the clock to the left or the right as the ridge on the three prong hold it too high. What have I done wrong.
If you have removed the two spring retainers, the power/ground connector, and the two illumination bulbs, the clock should just pull straight out of the dash panel; nothing else holds it in place.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:11 PM
John Pitta
5th Gear

Originally Posted by JohnZ
If you have removed the two spring retainers, the power/ground connector, and the two illumination bulbs, the clock should just pull straight out of the dash panel; nothing else holds it in place.
Are you saying the clock comes out the front thru the panel hole? If so mine will not. I have tried to get it out the back but when I tilt it back it is caught between the bottom of the speaker and the half moon that has the three holes in it where the clips are inserted. Thanks John

Get notified of new replies

To Mid Year Clock Removal with Air

Old 04-20-2012, 01:27 PM
67*427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Yes, it comes out through the front....
Old 04-20-2012, 01:28 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by John Pitta
Are you saying the clock comes out the front thru the panel hole? If so mine will not. I have tried to get it out the back but when I tilt it back it is caught between the bottom of the speaker and the half moon that has the three holes in it where the clips are inserted. Thanks John
See if someone may have painted the center panel with the clock in and masked and the paint is holding it in. It should pull right out the front like John said. We are assuming you have a C2?

Don
Old 04-20-2012, 01:41 PM
John Pitta
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 5thvet
See if someone may have painted the center panel with the clock in and masked and the paint is holding it in. It should pull right out the front like John said. We are assuming you have a C2?

Don
The lense on the clock is too big for the hole. Do the chrome bezel have to come off the front to fit the clock thru? If how do you take it off? I am new at this so thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: Mid Year Clock Removal with Air