C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Fuel Injection Fuel Float repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 12:25 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 62C1fuelie
Thank you all,

just to further my previous post, please see attached the following pics, as you can see, I had to tape up (blue tape) the area it was leaking from as I had to desperately move the car a very short distance.
nice looking... the same advice still applies

BTW, this is what can happen if you don't get it fixed...

Bill
Attached Images  

Last edited by wmf62; 03-09-2018 at 12:27 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:17 AM
62C1fuelie
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A huge thank you to both Mr John DeGregory, and Mr Rollin Jones who have been both very helpful in getting the fuel pump rebuilt and leak fixed in the car.

I'm now re-installed and have primed the fuel system by filling the bowl (via the vent at the top), however, after 3 times doing this (and running on the fuel in the bowl only), the fuel is still not apparently being drawn from the tank. Can anybody advise the correct method of bleeding the fuel system after removing the fuel pump and having the system completely dry from the fuel filter forward? I had hoped filling the float bowl would have done it. I have all vacuum hoses connected,

Many thanks indeed, this forum is amazingly helpful.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:48 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 62C1fuelie
A huge thank you to both Mr John DeGregory, and Mr Rollin Jones who have been both very helpful in getting the fuel pump rebuilt and leak fixed in the car.

I'm now re-installed and have primed the fuel system by filling the bowl (via the vent at the top), however, after 3 times doing this (and running on the fuel in the bowl only), the fuel is still not apparently being drawn from the tank. Can anybody advise the correct method of bleeding the fuel system after removing the fuel pump and having the system completely dry from the fuel filter forward? I had hoped filling the float bowl would have done it. I have all vacuum hoses connected,

Many thanks indeed, this forum is amazingly helpful.
Fuel up to the fuel meter of the FI unit is ONLY supplied by the fuel pump (either the engine mounted pump or if you hava an elec pump). I would suggest separating the hard fuel line from the fuel meter, slip a rubber hose onto the hard line, crank the engine with the starter and observe to see if fuel comes out the rubber hose.
If not, then you have some kind of fuel delivery issue between the tank and the fuel pump. A GOOD engine mounted fuel pump will have MORE than enough suction to suck gas from the tank. In fact, the tank is positioned HIGHER than the fuel pump, thus, gas SHOULD just run to the pump by gravity.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:30 AM
62C1fuelie
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Fuel up to the fuel meter of the FI unit is ONLY supplied by the fuel pump (either the engine mounted pump or if you hava an elec pump). I would suggest separating the hard fuel line from the fuel meter, slip a rubber hose onto the hard line, crank the engine with the starter and observe to see if fuel comes out the rubber hose.
If not, then you have some kind of fuel delivery issue between the tank and the fuel pump. A GOOD engine mounted fuel pump will have MORE than enough suction to suck gas from the tank. In fact, the tank is positioned HIGHER than the fuel pump, thus, gas SHOULD just run to the pump by gravity.
Thank you - indeed - she just needed more time! Fired right up after witnessing the fuel finally reach the bowl.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:09 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrybramlett
I know of only one person who has all the parts, special equipment, and machining skills needed to completely restore an AC gear pump. He is Rollin Jones in Newark, Ohio. He even has new center sections with gears that he can install when necessary. His phone number is (740) 344-1686 (Central Time Zone, six hours ahead of England).

If you've never replaced a gear pump shaft seal before, I suggest you send your pump to Rollin. He can tell if a past butcher has already ruined the carbon bushing behind the seal and/or gouged the pump wall seat area with a chisel. That happens a lot, unfortunately.

Good luck,

Jerry
About 6 months ago, I developed a leak at the gear pump as described in this thread. Sent my pump to Rollin Jones. Rollin called me and told me that I still had the original neoprene 1963 vintage seal in my pump. It was replaced with a newer ethanol friendly Viton seal. Turnaround time was about 2 weeks.

You can very easily mess up a FI pump.. Cost was $180.00 which included return shipping.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:11 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
About 6 months ago, I developed a leak at the gear pump as described in this thread. Sent my pump to Rollin Jones. Rollin called me and told me that I still had the original neoprene 1963 vintage seal in my pump. It was replaced with a newer ethanol friendly Viton seal. Turnaround time was about 2 weeks.

You can very easily mess up a FI pump.. Cost was $180.00 which included return shipping.

Chuck,

Did he do any repair to the pump other than change the seal. Check for wear or replace anything else?
Old 12-11-2018, 01:43 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
Chuck,

Did he do any repair to the pump other than change the seal. Check for wear or replace anything else?
He put in a "kit", which contains a new shaft also. Nothing else was excessively worn. He checked clearances within the pump.. All was good.

https://www.zip-corvette.com/57-65-f...-seal-kit.html
The following users liked this post:
MikeM (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 02:01 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,729 Likes on 811 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Great tutorial, guys. Special thanks to Jerry for his insight and help. The FI threads, to me, are always the most interesting and the most technically interesting. Thanks, again, to all of you who participated. It was very informative.

Quick Reply: Fuel Injection Fuel Float repair