C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

(Almost) correct looking alternative to VR715 Voltage Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 06:40 PM
67*427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Default (Almost) correct looking alternative to VR715 Voltage Regulator

Lots of guys have been using the VR715 voltage regulator from AutoZone. It has a very short cover so for those that want an original looking regulator, it doesn't look quite correct under the hood.

I was in O'Reilly Auto Parts today and asked to see their version of the voltage regulator for my '67. It's made (or at least sold) by "MasterPro" and carries a part number of R281. It has a tall cover that is rivited on and other than the fact it doesn't say Delco Remy on the cover, it looks very much like the original regulator.

There are no resistors on the back and compared to a relay regulator, it is quite light so I am reasonably sure it's solid state, just like the VR715. Oh, it's $1.00 cheaper too ($15.99) and it has a 12 month warranty as opposed to 3 mo for the VR715.

My car isn't quite ready to run yet so I can't tell you how it works but I bet it's the same as the VR715.

Hope this helps someone that is looking for an original looking voltage regulator.

Steve

Quick Reply: (Almost) correct looking alternative to VR715 Voltage Regulator