C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Body ground wire location

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 05:30 PM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 261 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Default Body ground wire location

I need help with connecting the body ground on the left side body to the frame. All diagrams seem unclear to me as to where the ground attaches to the body. I see the hole in the frame for the small bolt but does the other end go on the frame body mount bolt or elsewhere. Thanks. Dave
Old 05-04-2010, 05:56 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by dkleather
I need help with connecting the body ground on the left side body to the frame. All diagrams seem unclear to me as to where the ground attaches to the body. I see the hole in the frame for the small bolt but does the other end go on the frame body mount bolt or elsewhere. Thanks. Dave
I dont have pic of mine but mine did not bolt to the body...it had a u-shaped clip on the end of the ground wire and it slid onto the metal part just next to the body mount...

jack
Old 05-04-2010, 07:03 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 66jack
I dont have pic of mine but mine did not bolt to the body...it had a u-shaped clip on the end of the ground wire and it slid onto the metal part just next to the body mount...

jack
That's how my 65 is as well. I assume the question is about a 63-67?
Old 05-04-2010, 07:19 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Here's the one on my 65.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:47 PM
4440stevesvette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
Here's the one on my 65.
Looks like it would'nt hurt to clean up those ground connections!
Old 05-04-2010, 08:08 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by 4440stevesvette
Looks like it would'nt hurt to clean up those ground connections!

I'll be sure to do that when I install the new ground straps since I'm in the process of removing the body for a complete restoration.

Jim
Old 05-04-2010, 09:12 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,976 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I have always hated that push over clip that has a tang to scratch into the birdcage for a ground. I drilled and tapped holes in the birdcage and used copper ground straps with round terminals on each end and bolted those suckers in place. The copper ground straps are available at your FLAPS.

Rich
Old 05-04-2010, 11:24 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by 1snake
Here's the one on my 65.
My 63 is the same way. Except mine are new.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:28 PM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Great picture, Jim. Thanks for all the replies guys. I used the clip groundstrap on the engine mount area so will need to change it to the left birdcage ground. So next question is: For the engine ground do I use the large bolt going horizontally through the mount for the end of the ground or one of the frame bolts or ???. Dave
Old 05-04-2010, 11:38 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Great picture, Jim. Thanks for all the replies guys. I used the clip groundstrap on the engine mount area so will need to change it to the left birdcage ground. So next question is: For the engine ground do I use the large bolt going horizontally through the mount for the end of the ground or one of the frame bolts or ???. Dave
There will be a ground wire for both engine mounts. The large holes are for the engine mount bolts, the small ends bolt to the frame part of the engine mount. You should also have ground wires at each tailpipe. And at the exhaust pipes clamps under the transmission mount. There will be one for each exhaust pipe.

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 05-04-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:26 PM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Anyone have a picture of the engine mount ground strap installed? Sure would help. I've located the frame hole for the strap screw but the nut on the engine mount bolt is on the right side. If I'm supposed to remove the nut and put the strap under it, the strap isn't long enough to cross over to the left hole I've located. Do I need to remove the engine mount bolt and put the strap on the left side under the head of the bolt? Hope not.......If I'm reading 1stTexan right I think I do. Sorry if this is a stupid question........I don't have another midyear close by to look at. Thanks for the help Dave

Last edited by dkleather; 05-05-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:33 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Anyone have a picture of the engine mount ground strap installed? Sure would help. I've located the frame hole for the strap screw but the nut on the engine mount bolt is on the right side. If I'm supposed to remove the nut and put the strap under it, the strap isn't long enough to cross over to the left hole I've located. Do I need to remove the engine mount bolt and put the strap on the left side under the head of the bolt? Hope not.......If I'm reading 1stTexan right I think I do. Sorry if this is a stupid question........I don't have another midyear close by to look at. Thanks for the help Dave
Ya your engine mount bolt is reversed. If it needs to be that way? You will have to pull the bolt and install the ground and replace. You could snip the end of the ground eye and slip it in without removing the bolt. But it may not stay put when the setup is tightened.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:35 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Anyone have a picture of the engine mount ground strap installed?
Dave this is the best I have right now (and it's of the left, not right mount). Perhaps someone else has something better. I don't even know if this is right, although it matches my assembly manual. Have you checked your assembly manual in UPC U69, the pages for the optional radio?

Last edited by 62Jeff; 05-05-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:00 PM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 1sttexan
Ya your engine mount bolt is reversed. If it needs to be that way? You will have to pull the bolt and install the ground and replace. You could snip the end of the ground eye and slip it in without removing the bolt. But it may not stay put when the setup is tightened.
My bolts on the left side motor mount are pointing rearward with the nuts on the right. They don't need to be that way but with the exhaust pipes on I think I'd be blocked from inserting them the right way without dropping the pipe which I'd rather not do. I like the idea of snipping the eyelet and putting it under the head. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:17 PM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Dave this is the best I have right now (and it's of the left, not right mount). Perhaps someone else has something better. I don't even know if this is right, although it matches my assembly manual. Have you checked your assembly manual in UPC U69, the pages for the optional radio?
Thanks Jeff, that pic helps. I had looked at the assembly manual but their name of "existing screw" for the large motor mount bolt threw me. I was looking for a smaller hole similar to that in the frame to anchor the other side onto the mount but since that side of ground wire's eyelet was larger I figured I must be wrong. Thanks for your help. Dave
Old 05-06-2010, 04:16 AM
KC66
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have a picture on how the strap for the rear antena ground strap goes throught the fenderwell and attaches to the frame. its for a 66 coupe. Thanks KC
Old 05-06-2010, 10:40 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by KC66
Does anyone have a picture on how the strap for the rear antena ground strap goes throught the fenderwell and attaches to the frame. its for a 66 coupe. Thanks KC
See your Assembly Manual, section U69, sheet B2; the frame end of the strap looks like the photo below.
Attached Images  
Old 05-06-2010, 12:02 PM
midyear1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
I have always hated that push over clip that has a tang to scratch into the birdcage for a ground. I drilled and tapped holes in the birdcage and used copper ground straps with round terminals on each end and bolted those suckers in place. The copper ground straps are available at your FLAPS.

Rich

That's what grounds your dash to the frame. That little clip tang is subject to oxidation/corrosion, and provides very little "bite" into the surface it's grounded to. IMO, it's no different than a wire with frayed disconnected strands at the terminal, which BTW looks to be the case in the picture posted by 1snake. That wide beefy strap can only flow the electrons passed off at the terminal. When it comes to grounds, my philosophy is "more is better than not enough".

That philosohy may have other applications as well.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:55 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,976 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by midyear1

That's what grounds your dash to the frame. That little clip tang is subject to oxidation/corrosion, and provides very little "bite" into the surface it's grounded to. IMO, it's no different than a wire with frayed disconnected strands at the terminal, which BTW looks to be the case in the picture posted by 1snake. That wide beefy strap can only flow the electrons passed off at the terminal. When it comes to grounds, my philosophy is "more is better than not enough".

That philosohy may have other applications as well.
While we are on the subject I see that the subject of engine ground to chassis also was raised. As everyone that reads anything I write knows I am not a purist; but I am a rationalist when it comes to making the car work correctly. My engine block ground is a cable bolted under a bell housing to block bolt and directly to the frame at one of the battery box to frame mount bolts. Since I run a dual terminal battery I also have a cable from the negative side terminal to a battery box to frame bolt. You just can't have enough grounds,.

Rich

Get notified of new replies

To Body ground wire location

Quick Reply: Body ground wire location