C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Trailing arms removed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 09:46 PM
aafadca
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Trailing arms removed!

This morning I removed my first trailing arm. It took a little less than 3 hours. Luckily the the none of the bolts were frozen. This evening I jumped on the the other. It took a little less than an hour and half. Again nothing frozen. Actually after tapping the the bolt a few times, it came out very easy! I'm pretty sure the right arm needs bearing replacement since there's alot of play and movement. But there were no shims on the back side and the 2 front flopped around VERY loosely. The left has the shims on both sides and they were tight. Both sides appear to be original with the bushings and non-slotted shims. Why would there not be shims on both sides? Is that normal? Thanks
Old 05-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Since most of our cars, mine is a '67, have some unknow history/ownership, anything could and probably did happen. Alignment shop not well trained or it just never needed the shims. Be prepared with $$$ for a established and knowledgeable Corvette shop to do a proper alignment front and rear. Dennis
Old 05-15-2010, 10:34 PM
ditchdigger650
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Blue Stripe67 is correct, just had mine done one of them was bent, so I replaced both Ta's and the front and rear alignment was $240, people did'nt buy those cars to go grocery shopping, so who knows what happened to those arms in the past.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:44 AM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Slotted shims were not original, and need a LONG cotter pin to hold 'em in place, or else they can fall out.

Try the replacement stainless shims (used on later vettes) that have slots. Your alignment guy will thank you!!!
Old 05-16-2010, 04:34 PM
4440stevesvette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
Since most of our cars, mine is a '67, have some unknow history/ownership, anything could and probably did happen. Alignment shop not well trained or it just never needed the shims. Be prepared with $$$ for a established and knowledgeable Corvette shop to do a proper alignment front and rear. Dennis
I replaced both my trailing arms over this past winter with rebuilt units from VanSteel. I used the slotted S/S shims from the many Corvette vendors and postioned the shims down low so that they are resting on the lower edge of the frame and can't fall out. Alignment by the best shop in town took 2 hours, front and rear, cost was $100.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:35 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by mikem350
Slotted shims were not original, and need a LONG cotter pin to hold 'em in place, or else they can fall out.
The cotter pin is 3/16 " x 4-1/2 ". GM# 217966 or equivalent from other sources.

Larry
Old 05-16-2010, 08:42 PM
aafadca
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I think this may be the way to go with the slotted shims. Thanks for the info.

Get notified of new replies

To Trailing arms removed!

Quick Reply: Trailing arms removed!