C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Waterproof Cockpit Covers

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:48 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Default Waterproof Cockpit Covers

Anyone have one of these? My car is far from water tight and I would like to have something to put over the top on overnight trips. I found a couple of vendors carry them but they sure are pricey for the size! $180.

Thanks
Tom
Old 05-18-2010, 09:58 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Made this one myself out of a movers blanket from harbor frieght $8.00plus a friend did the sewing in his upholstry shop...
Its not water tight but it keeps the dust down...$

jack
Old 05-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks.
That's sorta what I am looking for but I need waterproof. I think I would prefer it go over the soft top as well. Maybe I can get an upholstery shop make one.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:56 PM
babylonvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have one on my 61 i use it all the time i had it for 3/4 years before i got my conv top ,but i still use it for overnights at the beach because it is easier to to put on then the top up ,i bought it fromcorvette america or corvette central it was about 125 it is white vynal with fuzzeys on the inside it goes under the wipers in front ,has velco to go arround the door handles and to the rear top latches ,one of the best things i bought it also keeps the eyes and sun out of the car if it sits outside all day
Old 05-18-2010, 10:56 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Sky65
Anyone have one of these? My car is far from water tight and I would like to have something to put over the top on overnight trips. I found a couple of vendors carry them but they sure are pricey for the size! $180.

Thanks
Tom
I have one made by Ferguson and got it at Eckler's. It was made for a roadster, but I modified it for my coupe by adding the rear straps. We were in some pretty hard overnight rain on the Pacific Coast and the car was perfectly dry inside. It has a vinyl exterior with a soft denim material on the car side. It folds up nice and small for easy storage.
Roy
Attached Images   

Last edited by 67-427ci; 05-18-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:09 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

My wife and I designed one for Cobra's. Maybe we should do something for Corvettes.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:27 AM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought one from e bay get this $35 bucks. It was the $180 Corvette central one only been used a couple of times. It works real well and I even bought a black bag and sewed on two C1 Corvette patches to house it in my trunk ! It's way cool and works really well when the roof is off. I have a hard top car only so It's a must for me. I've been stranded in mongrel weather a few times so buy one or make one it's worth every cent. Stewy
Old 05-19-2010, 12:42 AM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by 1snake
My wife and I designed one for Cobra's. Maybe we should do something for Corvettes.

Very nice work. How is it staying flush without snaps?
Old 05-19-2010, 09:03 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sttexan
Very nice work. How is it staying flush without snaps?
The 4 seams (you can only see 3 in the pic.) have a fiberglass rod sewn into them. That supports the cover and a bungee cord hooked on each sidepipe (no door handles) pulls in tight.

Jim
Old 05-19-2010, 09:10 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

It turns out (very ironically) that the place that sells the C1 cockpit covers is literally right down the street in Clermont, FL. Its Ferguson's and I could ride a bicycle there...you can cut a deal by going directly to him. He supplies Corv Central and several others with his products.

Mine is very much like the one in post #5 above...they are great when you arrive early to car shows or run in a restaurant in the FLA summer sun and want a quick cover up without putting up the top. It goes everywhere with me in my trunk.

I've heard of one case where a forum member's cover blew off a car in a storm and the interior got wet. Not saying it isn't true but the way mine straps down it would have to be near gale force winds to do that....

If somebody wants Ferguson's phone number I'll go get it off the tag on my cockpit cover.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-19-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I have the Ferguson version for my 1974 convertible. I have never used it with the top up, however. That would probably be a tight fit.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:13 PM
JoeCool66
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the same cover on my '66 roadster. It works great and keeps the interior bone dry. To really keep it in place, you need to hold it down with the wipers and the velcro straps to the door handels (I never use the rear attachment to the top rear pins). I use it all the time when the car will be parked outside for an extended period... you never know when a S. Fla rainstorm will pop up.

Joe

Originally Posted by 67-427ci
I have one made by Ferguson and got it at Eckler's. It was made for a roadster, but I modified it for my coupe by adding the rear straps. We were in some pretty hard overnight rain on the Pacific Coast and the car was perfectly dry inside. It has a vinyl exterior with a soft denim material on the car side. It folds up nice and small for easy storage.
Roy
Old 05-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
It turns out (very ironically) that the place that sells the C1 cockpit covers is literally right down the street in Clermont, FL. Its Ferguson's and I could ride a bicycle there...you can cut a deal by going directly to him. He supplies Corv Central and several others with his products.

Mine is very much like the one in post #5 above...they are great when you arrive early to car shows or run in a restaurant in the FLA summer sun and want a quick cover up without putting up the top. It goes everywhere with me in my trunk.

I've heard of one case where a forum member's cover blew off a car in a storm and the interior got wet. Not saying it isn't true but the way mine straps down it would have to be near gale force winds to do that....

If somebody wants Ferguson's phone number I'll go get it off the tag on my cockpit cover.
Thanks everyone for the input.

These are two I was considering. I think I want the one with the top up for overnight stays out of town. They are both Ferguson's. I would be interested in a "direct from manufacturer" price.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:50 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I had a vinyl AMCO (the wood gearshift ****, luggage rack, etc. people) tonneau cover back in the '60s and '70s that fit perfectly on my C2. Had to drill maybe 10 holes in the decklid for the anchor posts, plus one above the clock and a snap at the top rear of each door.

It zipped closed up the middle and would let in at most two or three ounces of water when parked in a heavy rainstorm.

Best thing was, unlike the covers shown above, you could drive the car with the cover installed, no set-up or take-down time required. Unfortunately AMCO only offered the Corvette version for a short time.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Sky65
Thanks everyone for the input.

These are two I was considering. I think I want the one with the top up for overnight stays out of town. They are both Ferguson's. I would be interested in a "direct from manufacturer" price.
Never tried my cockpit cover with the top up...doubt it would fit...they offer a separate product for that apparently. Ferguson's number is:

352-394-6547.

Most of his inventory is shipped out to distributors but I know he sells direct....it just might take a week or so for him to create something...
Old 05-19-2010, 06:29 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Never tried my cockpit cover with the top up...doubt it would fit...they offer a separate product for that apparently. Ferguson's number is:

352-394-6547.

Most of his inventory is shipped out to distributors but I know he sells direct....it just might take a week or so for him to create something...

Thanks
Old 05-19-2010, 08:33 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

Guys,
I have a 65 COUPE and I have been thinking that I would like one. Believe it or not my coupe leaks. Imagine that! A corvette coupe that leaks.
I wish that someone would make one for a midyear coupe. It would be nice to have something that you could throw into the car for emergencies.

Larry

Get notified of new replies

To Waterproof Cockpit Covers

Old 05-19-2010, 09:54 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by woodsdesign
Guys,
I have a 65 COUPE and I have been thinking that I would like one. Believe it or not my coupe leaks. Imagine that! A corvette coupe that leaks.
I wish that someone would make one for a midyear coupe. It would be nice to have something that you could throw into the car for emergencies.

Larry
Larry
Call Ferguson. I talked to him earlier tonight. A very nice gentleman. I'll bet he will hook you up.
352-394-6547

Tom
Old 05-20-2010, 10:41 AM
wow
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the Ferguson...it works completly as advertised...waterproof and folds into a neat, small package...when I go to car shows, I take the Ferguson and leave the top at home so that we can fit chairs, coolers, etc. into top well space. Have had several sudden downpours come up, takes seconds to attach the Ferguson, dry as a bone when shower passes. Great product.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:13 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

thanks Sky 65, I'll give him a call

Quick Reply: Waterproof Cockpit Covers